Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Headset bearing removal help
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

The lower cup bearing exploded when I tried to pull it out leaving just the outer how the **** do I get it out?

ads678

Screwdriver?

chipster

Go at it from that top, through the head tube. Knock it out using a metal rod (some’ll say screwdriver, I use a long piece of aluminium round bar). Make sure you keep it as square as you can, tap one side, then the other.
    hth

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Problem is the face where the bearing sits on the lower cup blocks anything from coming at it from above.

Northwind

Is there definitely not a cutout in the bearing shelf?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

couldn’t see one it is an on one smoothie mixer headset.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

If it can’t be forced or carefully filed out without causing damage. Knock the whole cup out (with correct tool or homemade alternative) put it in the freezer or heat it up, they usually separate because they are made from different alloys so expand and contract at slightly different rates (the cup and sealed bearing) it’s always worked for me one way or another!

Northwind

This isn’t totally helpful, but my smoothie was total rubbish, it was free and almost worth the price… So if you’ve not already bought the new bearings, I’d replace the whole thing.

But if you want to carry on… Powertools. Get it out of the frame, if you’ve got a dremel or similiar cut the race, or grind the back of the cup so you can tap out the bearing, job done in a few seconds. You could hacksaw the race but it’ll be time consuming.

And then, before you put the new bearing out, cut some access ports so you can change it in future

mrjmt
    Free Member

Take the whole cup out, bin it and replace it with a nukeproof mix-n-max jobbie.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Don’t have time to get a replacement needs to change today. Also have already bought the lower bearing. Don’t have any power tools either.

ads678

Can you get 2 screwdrivers and shove them into the bit thats still in there at opposite sides and slide it out, or open a pair of pliers inside the thing wedging the ends of the pliers against opposite sides and pull it out, you might get more grip with the pliers.

Post a pic up of whats stuck in there.

BoardinBob

Big screwdriver. Gently lever it out

andybrad

metal bar from above

gently

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Tried a screwdriver didn’t want to budge in the end I used a 200mm cold chisel and hammer to get it budged then levered it out.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Headset bearing removal help’ is closed to new replies.