Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Head For The Hills in Dorking
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is this anyone's LBS?
    Anyone got any praises or horror stories?

Just wondering, like…

Frizzer
    Free Member

I found them very helpful when I brought my frame in for headset and BB facing. They fitted the headset and crankset as well for no extra cost.
    I've bought a few bits and bobs from them and have no complaints.

forge197
    Free Member

Used them a couple times their mechanical ability and customer service skills were not the best in my experience. They managed to give a bike back to me having done some work and when I squeezed the brake lever it spilt fluid all over the pads and their nice floor, as they hadn't done the front brakes hoses up properly. They faced a medium frame when I had ordered a small, fortunatley there was a small in stock so it was easily resolved.

There were a couple of other issue I've had too and they can be pretty unreasonable if there are faults with things.

Digger90
    Free Member

I found them OK but all I did was rent a bike for a test.

Pedal & Spoke in Peaslake are good – either Howard or Joe.

woodsman
    Free Member

Had a wheel built by them, and like forge197 there was an issue with an ancillary, a Rohloff axle plate which they hack sawed off due to rounding the torx. That element resolved at no cost after I complained, I must say the wheel is probably the best I've had, and is still absolutely true today. I'd use them again for wheel building, or purchases if needed. I do the rest myself anyway.

brooess
    Free Member

I've found them really friendly, helpful and have no complaints about quality of service at all. Had a frame prepped, forks fitted, hubs fixed, quite a few things over the last few years….

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Friendly and helpful but a bit slapdash at times.

Left a bike with a list of things that needed sorting with them. The list was lost and then they seemed surprised when I chased them up regarding the work not done.

They did a very good job on the wheels that they built up for me. Still true after a heavyish frontal impact.

On a more serious note, I have ended up with loose chain ring bolts.

Don't know whether I want to use them again…

freeridenick
    Free Member

I live up the road.

Great shop, great service. Dan always goes out of his way to help/get stuff done quickly.

They must be doing OK as have taken on the old antique shop nextdoor and doubling the premises size.

Frizzer
    Free Member

As a price comparison, my LBS were going to charge me £95 just to prep my frame (yes, really!).
    HFTH prepped it and also fitted the headset, forks and crankset for £25 and did it a day earlier than expected.

spacemonkey

Have only bought a couple of things in there and they've been friendly enough. Haven't asked them to do any "work" though because Nirvana do a grand job 9 times out of 10.

rnewell1973
    Free Member

it has been my LBS for 4 years. Both Dan and Roger are very helpful and will do favours for free if you're a loyal customer eg when Rog trued my pram wheel. I had a couple mishaps on repairs in 4 years but I think it is when the young lads do the work and on every occasion they fixed it quick. Once you join the season tickt scheme you also get 10% off prices so pretty reasonable too. I can only recommend.

heihei

Rog is a great bloke and very handy on a bike too. Have often dropped a bike in to have brakes bled, hoses shortened, on a Saturday and they've done it within an hour or so.

Ewan
    Free Member

No experience to add beyond the fact they wanted to charge me for a test ride of a quite expensive bike. I went somewhere else.

rootes1

i bought my singular swift frame and forks from them – seemed ok, but I built rest of bike from bits ordered online as much cheaper.

i did take a demo swift out £35 for the day before choosing (they knocked the £35 of my frame and fork purchase) – very good and they didn't mind that the rear mech getting caught in the wheel after a rock knocked it.

tonyg2003

I've used them a few times and they always seem to be well organised and friendly.

Hicksy
    Free Member

They are my LBS.

They are always very friendly and helpful and know their onions – they've helped me out of a hole a couple of times recently which was great. Always have some interesting bikes and bits to tempt you too!

Mascy
    Free Member

+1 from me. Dan's always really freindly & gives quality service whenever I've been in.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Yep another happy customer here. flexible, friendly, professional and good communicators. Dan and Roger treat customers as they would want to be treated. Recommended. TM

special77
    Free Member

paying for a demo on an expensive bike is perfectly normal, in fact most bike shop insurance companies want a card swipe for the full value in order to cover it for damage/loss.

try demoing a performance car or mootrcycle on your own for free.

nuke

Also my LBS

They're friendly and professional…not what I'd call chatty like some bike shops but that's personal preference. Helpful and always have the bits/knowledge I need to keep my bike going. Some lovely bikes in their shop…recently had an Ibis Mojo and a Singular titanium frame in the window plus normal have some nice Nicolai bikes/frames in the shop…way over my budget though 🙁

luked2
    Free Member

Very helpful with a bike I bought from them recently.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Popped in a few times to buy a few bits. Always seem friendly and helpful.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Bought my prince albert from them, very friendly and efficient. Chatty to. One day i'll buy a nicolai from them

wormhole

its not far away for me, used them a few times for bits n bobs, never had workshop stuff done but they appear friendly enought and have most of the stuff you might need.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Never used them so am unable to comment.

+1 for Howard in Peaslake, though.

Ewan
    Free Member

paying for a demo on an expensive bike is perfectly normal, in fact most bike shop insurance companies want a card swipe for the full value in order to cover it for damage/loss.

try demoing a performance car or mootrcycle on your own for free.

I'm pretty certain if I went on a test drive for a car, I wouldn't be charged. I have no problem with the swipe of a card, it's the paying to take it for a morning to test it before handing over 1200 quid I object to. And FYI, MountainTrax in wokingham didn't charge me for taking a SC Nomad for 3 test rides before I gave them 3500 quid…

cinnamon_girl

Another vote for Mountain Trax – top blokes cos they put up with my ineptitude

Edit: they got hold of an uncommon brand of bike for me to demo. No deposit requested.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Interesting. Seems on the whole to similar opinions/experience as me then. which is reassuring.
    Cheers all.

skyhigh_71

Wish they were more local to me (1hr drive best case)

both Dan& Roger have provided excellent service. They have built several sets of wheels Inc a rohloff rebuild and service. All work done on time to high standard with updates by email/phone.

Good honest service here that I've been unable to find elsewhere more locally.

Smidge
    Free Member

Dan and Roger have always gone out of their way to sort any issue i've had. They sorted an issue with my DT Swiss freehub body extremely quickly and were great when i was buying my Prince Albert frame. Friendly with really good service +1 from me!

Smidge x

Pigface
    Free Member

Gave me a test ride on a Rohlof equiped bike, took my wallet off me and I had a play for a few hours. No card swipe, seemed like good guys.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Dan and Roger built my Prince Albert for me – great service, and nice fellas. They've also helped out with loaning me a bike while mine was being built, and fixing my severely bent dropout for me without charge.

I'd recommend them.

turboferret

I used to live bang opposite them for a year, the only issue I ever had was their shop alarm going off during the night once!

Really nice blokes, and although I never spent a huge amount of money there they were always happy for me to borrow tools and drop them back through the letterbox when I was finished 😀

Always very helpful and knowledgeable, can't fault them.

Cheers, Rich

Gotama
    Free Member

Yep, I've used them a fair few times…dialled frame, groupset, brakes and some other bits……actually most times i go in there i find myself spending cash! Always found them very helpful and knowledgeable.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Head For The Hills in Dorking’ is closed to new replies.