Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • HDMI/VGA from Down to upstairs
  • J273
    Free Member

I need to run a HDMI or VGA feed from down to upstairs. Plan was to buy a 20m HDMI cable and externally route it but now having doubts on whether the signal would be degraded over that distance and the HDMI lead wouldn’t be weatherproof and degrade over time.

Are there any alternative methods of sending either a VGA or HDMI feed from downstairs to upstairs. I dont want to be paying a fortune if i can help it.

Has anyone done this with any issues like lag .etc

Thanks

CaptJon
    Free Member

What are you connecting?

oldnpastit

If the cable has been HDMI certified then it should work fine regardless of the length.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#44

el_boufador

As per captJon – what are you connecting?

Decent wifi / Powerline adapters + rasperry pis running XBMC or android devices for a flexibility win, for me.

J273
    Free Member

It’s an NVR which I want to be able to view from Down/upstairs.I suppose lag isn’t really an issue its just the distance which would be abut 15 – 20m.

twisty

The signal travels along the cable at about 3×10^8m/s so lag is unlikely to be an issue 🙂
    The length could be a problem as you need a pretty good cable to work for 15+ meters especially if 4k etc as the capacitance of longer cables screws with the digital signal. Look for a HDMI-> ethernet adapters as an alternative option, or you could try and find an internal route for the cable which is shorter.

stof41
    Free Member

Look for NEET on amazon. They do HDMI over cat5 adapters, works perfectly if you have a cable route.

richmars

We’ve just used this kit to extend VGA/HDMI:
    Video extenders

But for business use so as sto41 posted above the NEET stuff may be much cheaper and do the same.

leffeboy

Ive run 20m vga before but the quality isn’t great. I would try one of the neet extenders

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A work colleague has done this with HDMI with no problems whatsoever according to him. I think he invested in a quality cable, so wasn’t the cheapest option. Not sure of the length but it was from one room to a adjacent room so going to be getting on for 20m if not 20m or more.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘HDMI/VGA from Down to upstairs’ is closed to new replies.