Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • HD TV – is it really worth it?
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Maybe I just need glasses.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Wait – you know HD won’t show up on a CRT telly, don’t you?

that’s only true because no one makes a CRT for that res anymore – I’ve seen a 1280 Sony Trinitron CRT but it was ages ago.

scaredypants

have we had this yet ?

Pieface

If you have sky+ already you could get a freesat telly to get the freesat HD telly and use one of your cables to get the feesat. I didn’t like the fact that sky wouldn’t give you the free HD channels.

HD is good, especially on wildlife / big landscape programs.

Makes you realise how ‘dirty’ normal transmissions are, although there are rumours that they deliberately de-grading the normal channels.

We weren’t making use of the Sky package so went freesat and bought a Humax box. Apart from a couple of bugs with the Humax box (which you learn to live with) I’ve no regrets.

Perhaps not worth paying £10 a month extra unless you get some decent channels, BBC being one of them.

If you like football its definitely worth it.

Not worth it on anything much smaller than 32″ IMO

scaredypants

If you like eurosport, their HD is massively better than their “normal” but our telly’s to small to see a difference with other HD vs normal (eg BBC)

brakes
    Free Member

28″ TV here, got HD and you can tell the difference but it’s not that noticable on a smaller TV

I instantly know if the daft bint indoors has recorded something in SD that should be in HD. The sound quality is a giveaway as well as the picture.

I found Die Hard 4.0 a good Sky HD reference film – I’ve had people round and shown it them and they have literally been blown away by the PQ that you can actually get on a TV.

molgrips
    Free Member

As an aside, I upgraded to a 40″ 1080 telly frmo a 32″ 720 one – the sole reason was for Playstation games. Telly was fine, the images on the games were fine but I just couldn’t read the text and those little maps in the corner of the screen and stuff.

althepal

We had the sd skyplus box. Called up to cancel as we could’ve get freeview hd and pay less each month.
    They gave us a free hd box (about £100 at thetime) and a free hd package. When the first bill came in it had an extra £10 on for hd, fek that, got on to customer service. Cue a long and drawn out coupla conversations explaining what I’d been promised, they maintained they can’t do that so asked to get put through to complaints but complaints dept doesn’t take new comPlaints over the phone (wonder why??).
    Had to email them and wait on them getti g back to me. Which they did about a week later (v poor IMO), after being passed to someone who eventually understood it when I spelled my surname (H A N N) was told they couldn’t give me the hd pack for free but would let me have the box for free and give me a tenner off my monthly pack for 6 months..
    Get the freeview hd channels, money off and the free hd box.
    My wife notices the difference and her eyesight is pretty poor. I would recommend getting hd in whatever guise you can, but if possible get virgin and don’t give your money to Murdoch.
    Failing that call sky once a year and threaten to cancel or downgrade and you’ll get money off or something free for a while.. That’s how everyone I know has had a complaint dealt with, even my mum.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We’ve got a Freesat HD+ box. After the novelty wears off – it just wouldnt be worth paying any extra (although it’s free for me) in imho. Getting some programmes like BBC / ITV natural history in HD is great – but for some weird reason these look better in SD too?

Blu-rays are noticably better than dvd’s imo, worth all the HD kerfuffle.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘HD TV – is it really worth it?’ is closed to new replies.