Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Having a funny turn?
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

Surely if the doctor asks "what would you like the outcome to be?" you either say "getting better" if that is what you want or "signed off sick for a bit as I have some decorating/riding/loafing to do" if that is what you want. Hate it when people use unnecessary bollox words but just ignoring them and carrying merrily on my way seems to work just fine 🙂

p.s. when you say you got up and walked out, after he told you what he was going to do and wanted you to do, what would you normally do at that point?

DrP

Parhaps you're being treated for cough variant asthma???

I fully appreciate you all have your own medical beliefs/ideas, but do remember that the majority of doctors will know more than you about medical conditions, and the most obvious reason for something may not be the actual reason (classic case in point here – increasing asthma meds for cough variant asthma, not just wheeze…)

DrP

Karinofnine

Or maybe you were just sitting funny, and hadn't noticed how much time had passed. Sometimes things go a bit adrift for me and then I realise that I have been working on a really long document and have moved only my fingers and eyes for a couple of hours and that my bum and neck have gone to sleep! Or some kind of RSI?

I really hope it is inconsequential.

Karinofnine

Just reminded myself of one of my favourite gags:

"I'd like to die like my father, peacefully in my sleep… instead of screaming in terror, like his passengers…"

(N0, not saying you're going to die Simon!)

iDave
    Free Member

(N0, not saying you're going to die Simon!)

surely he is going to die at some point?

Karinofnine

Well, yes, 100% of people die. Actually, that should be 100% of all people die, otherwise it sounds as though there is an option for only part of you to die, but then, philosophically speaking, perhaps it is possible for only part of you to die (heart?).

iDave
    Free Member

i know a lot of people who seem to have died but they've just not stopped breathing yet

Karinofnine

Yes, know what you mean

redthunder
    Free Member

Simon who?

hora
    Free Member

SFB don't go riding tomorrow or until you get to the bottom of this. PLEASE.

It could just be nerve damage/pinched etc at a junction but it could also be a very minor stroke.

There was a lad on here a few years back who keeled over and passed a way od a heart attack on a ride.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sorry to hear you're having these worries.

I'm not in the least worried 🙂

– I'd say you had a TIA to be honest.
    Visit GP for referral to TIA clinic for further investigations.

done that. I heard the clinic recommend aspirin but the doc said he wasn't willing to prescribe it till after I'd been scanned, and the consultant didn't suggest it. Presumably a tumour would have showed up on the CT scan unless it's still tiny ?

Or maybe you were just sitting funny, and hadn't noticed how much time had passed

no, this wasn't like that at all. I rarely sit still for long and often get up to gawp out the window at the canal and clouds etc

SFB don't go riding tomorrow or until you get to the bottom of this. PLEASE.

Too late! did 16 miles of exhaustion and excitement round Dunnerdale today 🙂 AFAIK, there's no connection between physical activity and stroke, or between stroke and heart attack. I specifically asked the consultant if I could go and as normal and he said yes, and he knew I'd ridden the evening after the incident 🙂 Tomorrow it's The Calf :o)

igm

Thought stroke was typically left side – or am I imagining that?

Sounds worth getting checked out whatever – some of my favourite arguments on here have been with you SfB, so don't quit on us now.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Thought stroke was typically left side – or am I imagining that?

I think the left arm is associated with referred pain from the heart – nothing to do with stroke, which can affect any part of the brain – it's when the blood supply is interrupted and part of the brain dies.

some of my favourite arguments on here have been with you SfB, so don't quit on us now.

I shall do my best – although that appears to be nothing more than I'm already doing 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

explains some of your night photos 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it does ?

DrP

The thing is – a TIA (by definition, a focal neurological deficit lasting less than 24hrs) is unlikely to show up on a CT scan. The scan is to rule out a minor bleed. The diagnosis is generally a clinical one (i.e based on the story you tell us!), and as such you will probably be told you had one, which you probably did.

There are associations between strokes and heart attacks, as they generally fall under the category 'vascular diseases', and further prevention (statins, reducing BP etc) is based on similar treatments.

Glad you're better though, and hope it gets sorted.

DrP

hora
    Free Member

SFB, please don't listen to a real Doctor like DrP. Listen to internet Doctors like me.

I have read your symptoms and had looked at the first hit on google and I prescribe a dose of Parsley.

We know best 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I prescribe a dose of Parsley.

I always shove that to the side of my plate – it tastes ghastly 🙁 Worse than celery and I never eat that either, since a friend pointed it it tastes like engine oil 🙂

ro
    Free Member

I'm not in the least worried

Yes you are. People don't go through the tests you describe unless they're worried. Don't be an ass about this simon, it demeans those of us who cared enough about you to offer something supportive.

moreupsthandowns
    Free Member

Simon,

Been there, similar situation about 11 years ago. Arrived at work noticed that my spatial awareness was shot, after reversing the job car into one of the other job cars, went up to the office speaking to my colleague at the time, he could not understand what I was saying all slurred. I knew what I wanted to say but it would not come out clearly. I had tingling in my hands which spread up and along my arms, subdued hearing and my breathing was shot. Not pleasant. Work took me to the hospital had lots of scans as you have had and was told that I would get a result after seeing a consultant in about six months! Told it was not advisable to drive so I voluntarily gave up my licence. (Thank God for my bike!) I went to see the NHS consultant privately which meant I got to see him within a month. The upshoot for me was that I was suffering from Stress Induced Migraines, these dont always cause pain but can cause all or some of the symptoms that I had been suffering from and yours by the sound of it. It may be worth exploring that with your Drs as a possibility.

Good luck

Simon (MUTDs)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yes you are. People don't go through the tests you describe unless they're worried

Uh, you know better what I think that I do ? I went to the doctor to see if there was anything wrong that could be fixed. If I die today or tomorrow that's OK with me, though I don't want it to happen. I've always been like this.

it demeans those of us who cared enough about you to offer something supportive.

sorry, I'm not buying that. The remarks of anonymous strangers do not have any claim on me, or give them a right to demand a form of response to suit them. I thought the attack was funny while it was happening, and I was slightly excited to see what would happen – but nothing much seemed to come of it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Stress Induced Migraines

thanks for that, but I don't go in for stress, so it's unlikely to be a factor 🙂

ro
    Free Member

I think that was a fine robust response. But it won't stop me liking you, or wishing you all the best 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

sfb – get yer coat, you've pulled.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

thanks for that, but I don't go in for stress, so it's unlikely to be a factor

So how do you manage to go on bike rides then ? How do you manage to work ? How do you manage to do any of the things which require clear goals ?

💡 I don't think you really understand what "stress" is.

" Stress is the way that you feel when pressure is placed on you.

A little bit of pressure can be productive, give you motivation, and help you to perform better at something.

When faced with a situation that makes you stressed, your body releases chemicals, including cortisol, adrenaline and noradrenaline. These invoke the 'fight or flight' feelings that help us to deal with the situation.

If the chemicals that are released during stressful situations accumulate from not being used, their effects are felt by the body. A build-up of adrenaline and noradrenaline increases blood pressure, heart rate, and the amount that you sweat. Cortisol prevents your immune system from functioning properly, as well as releasing fat and sugar into your blood stream."

hora
    Free Member

I always shove that to the side of my plate – it tastes ghastly

Sigh. If I had a penny for every patient who ignores my advice.

donsimon
    Free Member

thanks for that, but I don't go in for stress, so it's unlikely to be a factor

Me neither until the doc told me that my headaches, more like a sudden paralysing pain, were stress induced.

I guess you have everything under control, good luck. 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But it won't stop me liking you, or wishing you all the best

and it wasn't intended to – I was just defending my right to my own opinions and attitudes 🙂

So how do you manage to go on bike rides then ? How do you manage to work ? How do you manage to do any of the things which require clear goals ?

I think there's a clear difference between minor anxiety and stress. No anxiety at all would make for a dull, featureless life – the trick is to keep it within bounds 🙂 And I have a feeling the stress encountered during riding is dispersed naturally and healthily through action

moreupsthandowns
    Free Member

Simon

I dont do stress either 😆 Should have been clearer, meant stress as in physical not giving myself enough time to recover between excercise, commuting and work.

Simon

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

meant stress as in physical not giving myself enough time to recover between excercise

oh I see! No chance of that with me – I'm extremely lazy :o) I always use the minimum effort required to achieve anything.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Having a funny turn?’ is closed to new replies.