Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Have we had a car winter tyres thread yet this year?
  • cbike
    Free Member

That ice test happens outside my flat every 2 or 3 years. at the speeds everyone crashes at, winter tyres would make no difference here. I can see the skidding distance decreases…but why are they all skidding? That is not in control. In real conditions the idea is never to brake hard and change direction suddenly.

The Compound on my new tyres is obviously better than the winters that were on before, and as its mostly 10 – 20 degrees plus operating temp of tyres, a few days of marginal improvement in minus temps are really not worth the hassle or expense.

Only Bikes should cost more than your car. Not the flipping tyres.

molgrips
    Free Member

That is not in control. In real conditions the idea is never to brake hard and change direction suddenly.

Yes, but more friction means that whilst you may be able to control the car on summer tyres, you’ll be able to control it better on winters.

a few days of marginal improvement in minus temps are really not worth the hassle or expense.

Except when it saves your life 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

“a few days of marginal improvement in minus temps are really not worth the hassle or expense.”

A few days ? where do you live – SOCAL ?

A few days of the year i would see benifits from the summer tire maybe !

Kryton57

According to my insurance policy, my car is only insured “…when fitted with wheels and tyres according to the manufacturers original specification.”

Clarification needed then…

br
    Free Member

Clarification needed then…

BMW will have a winter option, plus other (makes).

edit

There you go:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/support/vehicle-service-parts/winter-accessories.html

Kryton57

Yes, but thats £800 from them vs £521 from Mr winter wheels

br
    Free Member

Yes, but thats £800 from them vs £521 from Mr winter wheels

🙄

Kryton57

I feel I’ve missed a point, you’ll have to elaborate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Another year, another winter tyre thread, another assembly of the Flat Earth Society.

Cool, I’ll get the small block 8’s back on the bike for winter!. 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you want to meet the terms you signed up to for insurance youll be spending 800quid……

Kryton57

Many of our wheels including all of our steel wheels are produced by wheel manufacturers that make most of Europes’ OEM genuine wheels. Our steel wheels are produced to OEM specification and are often the very same steel wheels that you can buy in the dealership. Our alloy wheels produced by Borbet are produced in exactly the same factories, to exactly the same specification as the genuine wheels that they produce. The only difference is the price.

I wonder if the insurance company sees it that way, I’ll call them tomorrow.

irc

According to my insurance policy, my car is only insured “…when fitted with wheels and tyres according to the manufacturers original specification.”

Which is an advantage of going the all season route. The tyres I’m getting are exactly the same size, speed, and load rating as the factory fitted tyres.

No need for seperate winter wheels. No need to contact insurance. The tyres were nearly worn out anyway. So the extra cost is the £15 or so extra per tyre for all seasons over summers.

Obviously costs will vary depending on tyre size etc.

SaxonRider

No need to contact insurance.

Why the ‘H’ would you need to contact insurance?!? Are the providers so draconian here that they would demand to know if you changed your tyres to suit the season? FFS!

I have changed mine over the course of 13 years many times, including having had two sets of wheels (one for summer; one for winter), and it never dawned on me that an insurer would have to know.

SaxonRider

In fact, I would add, if an insurer even considered penalising a driver for their tyre choice, they should do so based on the driver having NOT changed their tyres for the season.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are the providers so draconian here

Absolutely yes.

They are lower than estate agents.

In any case, the car’s handbook is full of stuff about winter tyres so I’m sure VW consider it within spec. Especially being German where it’s mandatory.

thegreatape
    Free Member

As above, same size and speed/load ratings. And the latter is not always crucial – the OEM tyres on my car are speed rating V (149mph), the winters are H (130mph), which is the fastest rating for most winter tyres due to the different compound. The ins co have confirmed, by email , that that’s fine.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

All the main manufactures will let you know the wheel tyre recommendations for their vehicles. You have to persist because they initially seem to tell you the ‘standard’ spec. But, there will be a winter spec.
    Once you have this, call the insurance company, and tell they you are fitting manufactures specification winter wheels and tyres. That they are the recommended combination for the vehicle for the winter. Whenever I have done this and asked for any alteration to premium they have answered negative.
    At the same time, I ask them to not the conversation of my policy. Just in case…

Kryton57

Its more the point that changing the wheels is considered a modification. It seems I can’t get all seasons in my size for the rear anyway. I have a paranoia about this because I’ve written off a car this year already which of course underwent examination before the payout. This one’s a lot more expensive, and I’d rather not have that amount of debt over my head should it be written of and they don’t pay out due the the wheels being judged as incorrect spec.

molgrips
    Free Member

My winters are the exact same size anyway.

Kryton57

Eh? The Continental Winter Contact TS 830P which reviews so well is rated as a “E” in the wet, and my current Bridgestone S001’s a “B”.

That all appears wrong and a backward step?

thegreatape
    Free Member

A few years ago insurers were viewing swapping to steel wheels/winter tyres as a modification, but once they got their common sense hats on, and a hoof in the slats from the ABI, they stopped doing that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How are your bridgestones in the ice and cold weather.

Go lok at the temperature the wet test is done at …… One of the mags did the same test in cold uk temps and got very different results.

molgrips
    Free Member

Go lok at the temperature the wet test is done at …… One of the mags did the same test in cold uk temps and got very different results.

Hm. My Goodyears were meant to be great in the wet, they don’t seem to be in practice.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Eh? The Continental Winter Contact TS 830P which reviews so well is rated as a “E” in the wet, and my current Bridgestone S001’s a “B”.

What size and speed rating are you after?
    Have you checked out Nokian Weatherproof all season tyres? I’m going to whack them on the Panda. They’re rated better (by Auto Express) in the snow than last years winter tyres shootout winners….

Kryton57

I’ve just been through every tyre in this test, to no avail.

Some have the fronts, but nor the rears – 225/40/18 & 245/35/18 fyi.

br
    Free Member

Especially being German where it’s mandatory.

And also in Germany you have to carry the paperwork to show any modification are to spec (ie TUV), even when it is a manufacturer agreed variation – such as Goodyear instead of Bridgestone, for example.

And thanks trail_rat 🙂

andy8442
    Free Member

God, I just love a good winter tyre thread!

welshfarmer

Is it time for my annual video link yet? Having been the only man in the Alps not running winter tyres was not an experience I want to repeat. I will never go back to running summer tyres throughout the winter months. If you want to see the differences a small change in tyre compound makes in grip and handling under different conditions you only need to watch a bit of F1 or WRC. There we are talking about a change in tyre compound/tread pattern if there is only a few degrees temp change, not a seasonal shift.

Anyway. filmed about 4 years ago now

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjKsZS3XcD0[/video]

Greybeard
    Free Member

For those who are interested in their insurer’s view, the Association of British Insurers have published a commitment and a list of insurers who follow it: http://users.plus.net/QL:872DCA56

suburbanreuben
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Got a video with snow instead of just a dusting of ice welshfarmer 🙂

I love winter tires , te only time my van gets stuck is when the snows bumper deep and im ploughing up out of the snow.

But then i have some snowflake mountain new design km2 mud terrains for when it gets that bad 🙂

Kryton57

Decision made. Due to my southerly location and flexible working arrangements, I’m going to be cautious this winter then when my current tyres are done, switch to all those tested all seasons probably after next summer. The reviews mark the current ones out as perfect for my intended use

LD
    Free Member

Anyone got pros or cons to fitting XL rated tyres (slightly cheaper for winters). Driving big heavy estate so makes sense to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had XL summers on the Passat, because they were what was going cheap. I thought maybe they had stiffer sidewalls or something, cos the ride felt firmer, but then the Goodyears aren’t XL and are’t much more supple.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

We purchased a set of winter tyres for the wifes fiat 500 when we got it over 3yrs ago. Its worked out very well for us tbh.

The original tyres are looking hardly used (18,000mls on the clock) and the winters are still fresh so from a wear POV it works. Makes sense really, half the wear and the right rubber for the occassion too.

I have been on plenty of test tracks where they replicate winter driving conditions like rain, ice & snow and i have driven vehicles with all the traction aids under the sun. Winter tyres always made a sizeable difference.

I dont agree with running them all year round as they do seem to give noticable increased tyre noise and i dont believe in the summer they will last so well, however by the end of this month i reckon we will have them back on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I dont agree with running them all year round as they do seem to give noticable increased tyre noise and i dont believe in the summer they will last so well”

but then this depends on where you live and at the times of day when you drive…..

All seasons do sound tempting for next time round.

irc

I got 4 Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Generation 2s fitted to my Octavia Hatch last week following recommendations on forums and good reviews.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-AutoBild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

On a mix of dry and wet roads so far the Goodyears feel a bit more supple/comfortable on poor surfaces than the summer tyres they replaced – Bridgestone Turanzas.

They are much quieter. They are rated 3Db quiter but I’ve also heard that all else equal new tyres are quieter than worn tyres. Maybe a combination of the two factors? In any case the Turanzas were poor on wet roads and completely useless on snow or ice. So I’m happy with quieter tyres with some snow capability versus the old ditchfinders.

RustySpanner

Just replaced some budget Landsails with Michelin Cross Climates.

Very impressed so far, very quiet, much grippier and confident on cowshit covered minor roads.

Don’t mind if it snows now.

Some very good deals about, mine were on sale, £53.00 fitted locally.

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Have we had a car winter tyres thread yet this year?’ is closed to new replies.