Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Have we done Oscar Pistorius 'Blade Runner' yet?
  • ski
    Free Member
    epicyclo

I hope he gets to run.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think its such a unique situation he should run. If he starts winning all the time then reconsider

ahwiles
    Free Member

one of the most interesting questions of our time.

(i’m glad i’m not required to make a decision)

His legs are more efficient than ‘natural spec’ – apparently he does have an advantage of sorts)

life-long bilateral amputees are rare, Oscar’s situation is almost unique.

passtherizla
    Free Member

difficult one this… I think he should run, others may think its like letting a man with iron fists box.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup I think he should run.
    Anyone who thinks he gets an unfair advantage is more than welcome to cut their own legs off.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

His legs are more efficient than ‘natural spec’

Sadly, I agree. Also, his lower leg will not “tire”, and he has a reduced chance of injuring himself given that he can hardly injure crabon fribe!

It’s a real shame, as I think he’s a massive inspiration, and I find what he has achieved to be utterly brilliant. Sadly, however, unless there’s a way of making it possible for his crabon to “tire” during the heats and for there to be a possibility of him spraining his ankle in the bath….

ahwiles
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks he gets an unfair advantage is more than welcome to cut their own legs off.

but that’s almost the point of the argument; soon (maybe even now), technology will reach a point where the fastest runners will be amputees.

it’s not unreasonable to imagine a near-distant time where you’ll need to have your legs chopped off before you learn to walk – or you’ll never compete in the olympics.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Meh.

Had a similar situation in amateur kayaking years ago. There was a guy with only one leg and always won. The perception was that being lighter and more agile in the boat gave him an advantage.

Other competitors complained.

The official reply was if the others wanted to chop a leg off to make it fair then fine. Otherwise no action is needed.

Let the guy run – I think it’s an inspiration that he’s getting on with life and showing that disabled doesn’t necessarily mean unable.

MSP

I think they probably give him a slight advantage in a race, but across the whole training program required to prepare for racing they are probably a disadvantage.

I hope he makes it to the Olympics.

Stoner
    Free Member
    SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

There was a documentary on this a wee while back. Jist of it was that he has developed incredible CV fitness through trying to keep up with friends and famil whilst having abnormal legs.

mudshark
    Free Member

As it seems he has an advantage over others I don’t think he should be able to run. Maybe it’s because it’s his legs – if he had artificial arms I suppose that would seem more OK even if that somehow gave him an advantage too – less weight perhaps. The argument that you can cut your legs off if you think it’s unfair is pretty frickin’ stupid.

IanMunro
    Free Member

As it seems he has an advantage over others I don’t think he should be able to run

Will we be ruling out people with abnormally large hearts and lungs too? 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

Don’t be silly.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I remember seeing a news item about his qualifying times, even if he can run in the Olympics he may not be able to because of his times anyway.

grum
    Free Member

Are athletes with legs allowed to wear the blades too?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

His is an amazing story but I don’t think he should be allowed to run.

Sorry but that’s a ridiculous argument.

carbon337
    Free Member

Im in the no camp.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s ridiculous to think that sport is in any way fair in the first place.
    Until we actually see amputees on the gold, silver and bronze podium positions at the olympics, I think there’s plenty of other things to worry about.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I think he should be allowed to run as he is a figure who challenges the definition of disability and that can only be a good thing. I’m sure he will not be the last ‘disabled’ athlete taking on able bodied competitors. Besides,he must face other issues when using the blade legs which even out the mechanical advantage they offer; they must be damn hard to get balance on and run with at the speeds he can achieve.

Maybe the question we should be asking is if he isn’t allowed to run against able bodied athletes is it fair to make him race against other disabled runners who can’t compete at his level? He is clearly able to match the non-disabled runners although it is doubtful he will win an Olympic gold.

wrecker
    Free Member

I ilke it, technology vs man.
    It’ll be robots next.
    WE’RE DOOOOOOMED.

mrhoppy

I’m sure he will not be the last ‘disabled’ athlete taking on able bodied competitors.

He’s not the 1st Kirsty Coventry has been whupping ass in the pool for a good few years.

brakes
    Free Member

Also, his lower leg will not “tire”

but I guess his upper legs might tire more quickly because of the lack of lower legs and feet.
    the only reason I think they should let him run is because it gives MASSIVE inspiration to athletes with disabilities which can only be a good thing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think its a great idea, inspired I am.

Of course you’ll get the neysayers but it’s expected, we’ve only just begun to see limbs replaced with something as achingly simple as this.

I do hope he gets the chance, really I do.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d like to see a one armed person with a catapult arrangement doing the javelin.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Mr Hoppy – are you thinking of Natalie du Toit?

I’m pretty sure Kirsty Coventry is able bodied

mudshark
    Free Member

Is the swimming equivalent some sort of flipper arrangement?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ebygomm – Member
    Mr Hoppy – are you thinking of Natalie du Toit?

Now she IS amazing!

ebygomm
    Free Member

It’s not really equivalent as no mechanical limbs involved. Natalie du Toit competed in the open water swimming at the Olympics and placed 16th in the open water event despite the fact she had a lower leg amputation.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It seems that most of the yes responses revolve around Oscar Pistorius (OP) being a positive role model for the disabled as well as educating the able bodied just how much can be achieved with a disability. It’s a compelling argument which is difficult to argue against with without coming across as a heartless sh!t.

Still here goes. I don’t think he should be allowed to run against able bodied athletes as that competition has always been about finding the best natural athlete in the world. If drugs are banned because of their performance enhancing capabilities and assuming (I don’t know this for sure) that OP’s prosthetic legs give him a performance advantage I think it would be equally unfair for him to compete against able bodied athletes.

The point above about the paralympians gradually getting to a position that their prostheses are sufficiently advanced that they begin to outperform able bodied athletes is an interesting one. If that was clear cut would we even be having the discussion? Is it only because we think that OP’s artificial legs just about balance out his ability rather obviously enhance it that we are left with the question?

Would more people watch the paralympics if the performances outpaced the able bodied performances?

mrhoppy

That’s the one. She is properly world class despite the amputation, without the ‘Blade Runner’ marketing I’m not sure there’d be the fuss about Pistorius.

The issue I have with Pistorius is that there’s a lot of fuss about going when he’s at best marginal to make the SA relay squad.

druidh
    Free Member

No.

And the argument about “jealous” competitors having voluntary amputations in order to gain a similar advantage should not be taken lightly. Given that many are willing to submit to an illegal and potentially fatal drug program in search of an advantage, can you really rule out the possibility of a number of “unfortunate” accidents in future?

Northwind

Big Dave – Member

they must be damn hard to get balance on and run with at the speeds he can achieve.

Segways are hard to balance on; can I use one for the marathon? I do have both legs but in my defence, they’re pretty crap.

brakes
    Free Member

druidh, I think it’s a bit easier to hide the fact that you’ve been taking performance enhancing drugs compared to hiding the fact that you’ve got plastic legs

druidh
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    druidh, I think it’s a bit easier to hide the fact that you’ve been taking performance enhancing drugs compared to hiding the fact that you’ve got plastic legs

Yes – but my point is that you’d not have to hide them.

Or what happens in a few years when it’s possible to replace human bone with something artificial and that could have some performance enhancing characteristics? When do we accept that fact that all athletes/sports-persons will literally be bionic?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Have we done Oscar Pistorius 'Blade Runner' yet?’ is closed to new replies.