• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Have I made an error?
  • ajf
    Free Member

After trying to get my chain clean I decided it would be easier to take off and spray with chain cleaner and degreaser however I think I have now f*cked up a perfectly good chain.

I popped out a random rivet from a shimano chain and then closed the same rivet on the chain. Now I understand that I should have put a new replacement pin in but I didn’t. Now I cannot find the rivet.

Is this terminal, I need a new chain or will it just weaken it a bit? Or is it fine?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

just get a sram powerlink and use that

taka
    Free Member

it will go randomley when you ride after like 20miles if your lucky

bassspine
    Free Member

you may be lucky. They do sometimes go back together properly.

I’d be inclined to carry a powerlink with me just in case.
    (I have an 8speed link, a 9speed link and a chunk of 1 1/8 half link chain in my toolkit with the chain brute. can’t help it)

stevomcd
    Free Member

If you’ve popped the rivet all the way out, [nelson]Ha, ha![/nelson]

As above, stick a powerlink in. Handy to have anyway.

ajf
    Free Member

Well we will have to see what happens. Lets hope it gets me as far as the bike shop then.

So I am guessing I have no hope for a long ride tomorrow without something happening?

carlphillips
    Free Member

i used to do that all the time pre powerlink so i wouldn worry too much…i now carry 3x powerlinks in mypack at all times they come in handy now and again..

ajf
    Free Member

on my old bmx back in the days of old I used a hammer and a sharp implement to take chains on and off. I guess things have changed and they are a bit more brittle now.

Got an old powerlink on another bike I don’t use so will take that off one chain and slap in bag just in case.

If you see a guy struggling round the dales with a broken chain, please stop laugh then help him!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Have I made an error?’ is closed to new replies.