Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Have I killed my Reverb?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

And, more importantly, can I fix it?

After a stupid crash yesterday (puddle OTB) my Reverb is now stuck at halfway extended. The remote does nothing (though I can’t see any splits in the hose, and there still feels to be resistance) and the post “sucks down” to halfway. It can be pulled up to fully extended.

I’m going to have a play tomorrow night, but has anyone had similar to give me an idea what to look for?

m0rk
    Free Member

I’d start with a bleed. Of the reverb, not some post crash ritual.

flyingmonkeycorps

No bleeding, mostly bruise.

Yeah I thought bleed / air in out is a good start.

jam-bo

Pulling it up to full travel is a really bad idea.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah I thought that… Kinda needed it to get me the 20 miles home though. Any suggestions?

BadlyWiredDog

The technology is glorified suspension fork stuff. There’s a SRAM service video on YouTube that covers the whole thing and I’d be tempted – after checking the obvious like air pressure (valve in base of post, needs to be 250psi) and that there’s no obvious damage to the remote connection, collar’s not overtight etc – to simply tear it apart and rebuild it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcJanKYTr48[/video]

Also, if you google for stuck down Reverb, there are a number of home-brewed potential solutions. Did you bend the post do you think? I guess if there was enough out of trueness, it might stop it moving though the bushes.

philjunior
    Free Member

My uninformed guess would be an O-ring somewhere has been displaced in the crash.

I would try simple things first though – my new Reverb wasn’t returning properly and somehow had lost pressure overnight/sat on its side in a car compressed. It’s been fine since despite being sat on its side/upside down for a quite long periods (though not compressed).

I can’t believe that the internals would be as complicated as you would imagine them – you can always give it a shot if you’re not too ham fisted.

nixie

Did the remote take a bash? Mine did something similar after a crash and it was a bent piston on the remote (knee caught the lever while crashing). You can by a new piston kit but it is pricey. I bent it back far enough to work quite easily.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine did this after a crash, quick bleed got it working again but it did the sagging thing after that and had to get that fixed professionally.

tillydog
    Free Member

Try bleeding it…

Look where the hose enters the post and/or remote – it’s easy to crack the metal barb that the hose fits to and cause enough of a leak that the remote stops working. It will only be one or two drops of fluid.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers guys, lots of good stuff to check there. I don’t think I’ll have bent the post as I’m pretty sure it was down when I crashed, but I certainly could have banged a barb, so to speak. I might have a spare remote kicking around too so I can try that if needed.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Slight hijack – my Reverb is sat fully down.

This is after a weekend of kids and adults borrowing the bike for a quick spin. I suspect lots of the picked the bike up by the saddle when it was set low to let kids ride it.

Can someone post a link to a how to video for bleeding the Reverb and what tools and materials are needed

m0rk
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-bleed-a-rockshox-reverb-43762/

I picked a bleed kit up from ebay for not too much, and it’ll do probably a dozen bleeds.

tillydog
    Free Member

my Reverb is sat fully down.

Check air pressure, also.

(I doubt that picking it up by the seat has caused this…YMMV)

flyingmonkeycorps

Well that was painless. Turns out the lever (which I run upside down, natch) had rotated round the bar and doesn’t like working too close to horizontal. Wish I’d realised that on the ride.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Have I killed my Reverb?’ is closed to new replies.