Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me a good value work stand
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

Good but a lot cheaper than park tools offering. Anyone know a bargain worth having?

beefheart
    Free Member

My local Aldi had some reduced to £15.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Aldi is worth a punt for any left.

Anyone else?

BoardinBob

If the aldi one is like the lidl one, it’s garbage. Fine for light bikes but the clamping bit rotates as soon as you put a remotely heavy bike in it. I can’t even give mine away

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have the Aldi one and it’s pretty solid, the clamps a bit fiddly but for occasional use its been fine. Haven’t tried it with anything heavier than a ti456.

whitestone
    Free Member

Halfords used to do one. We’ve been using ours for about ten years now and it still works OK, nothing broken or come off.

mark90
    Free Member

Also have the Aldi one. It’s good value. Might struggle to hold a DH bike level by the seat tube, but don’t have one so don’t worry about that.

nixie

I’ve got the Halfords bike hut one. Paid less than £25 for it in a sale + bc discount + 10% off vouchers. Its not the best stand in the world but it happily holds my rocket (which is by no means light). Yes thee is some play but it does the job as long as you do things up tight. Stability wise it is fine. The park workshop ones are better (metal in places the bike hut one is plastic) but you’d expect that for the price.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I need a new one too, my trusty old minoura can’t hold the Capra in any position, and a stealth post means I can’t slide the post up and clamp it there. Thinking about it, it’s been good ‘value’ cost me 70 quid about a decade ago.

jeffl

I think there were two versions of the Aldi/Lidl stand. One had a quick clamp for the bike which is great and the one I have. The other which my dad has was just a screw up clamp which I thought was a bit rubbish.

ransos
    Free Member

I have the Lidl one, and have built a couple of bikes using it. I think it’s fine – very stable, the clamp isn’t the best but acceptably ok.

canopy
    Free Member

I was recommended a bdbikes one on ebay by a co-worker.

Great stand for the money.. few differences to the cheaper aldi type ones.. most notably the way it clamps the frame and the ’tilt’ control.

seems to be out of stock, so you may have to google. but the best pics are on this page.

http://www.repairstands.co.uk/?product=locking-tilt-folding-repair-stand

notice the way you clamp is a QR type lever and the ’tilt’ is a nicety too.

btw i also use a cheap 2 hook stand for washing bike down when it isn’t too windy, or quick things like lubing chain

thecaptain
    Free Member

The 30 quid amazon/ebay ones are fine.

mark90
    Free Member

Comparing canopy’s one to my ALdi one… The clamp is the same, the lower half of the stand (legs, feet, etc) is the same, tool tray is the same. The adjust tensioners on the lower are screw knobs on the Aldi rather than the qr’s. The main difference is the upper gray bit of the frame and the tilt function, rathern than the splined adjustment on that one the Aldi one is just a friction clamp with screw knob. It works but I feel is the weakest point as the clamp is plastic and could break if done up too tight, but then there is a 3yr(?) warranty, and if you pick one up reduced to £15. They are probably all out of the same chinese factory anyway.

canopy
    Free Member

yup indeeded – seems like on the main bdbikes site they put the screw knob stuff on the lower end stuff and the higher has the QR and the handle thing for the tilt.

mark90
    Free Member

I hadn’t looked at their other stands, the top of this one is like the ALdi one, except the Aldi one has qr on the bike clamp….

http://www.repairstands.co.uk/?product=folding-floor-mounted-repair-stand

but the lower section of the Aldi is just like the first one you linked with the square section legs.

And the handlebar restraint is identical too.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I got a wall mount BD one off Amazon for just over £20.
    Very strong and well built and the tilt and rotate functions are great for accommodating various bike with different angled top tubes.
    link here

I thought they did a freestnading one too, but I can’t find it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The x tools one is very good, was about £60-70 on crc a while back.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/x-tools-home-mechanic-prep-stand-workshop-mat/rp-prod133219

£65 at the moment.

spacemonkey

I got a PureGadgets stand 2 years ago. £30.

Works a treat. Very stable. Takes seconds to fold up and fold down. Not the lightest for sure, nor does it fold down ultra compact. But it does the job and the clamps show no sign of wear.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Just got one of these.

work stand thingamy-bob

Seems good, the qr clamps work well and the upper arm stays correctly rotated but the legs have to be removed for storage.

The Aldi one annoyed me but was recently traded for harribo and strawberries which seemed very reasonable to me.

canopy
    Free Member

^ top of that is identical to mine, but less on mine are square.. if its sturdy then it has the bits i’d buy that one over another (the qr and tilt)

I thought they did a freestnading one too, but I can’t find it.

yup that’s the one myself and co-worker have 🙂

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I wonder how the above would compare to the BDB jobby

handyandy
    Free Member

I took a risk on a halfords stand, and it not bad at all. Worth looking at maybe?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good value work stand’ is closed to new replies.