Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Have I got this right?
  • marc
    Free Member

Never one to chuck me cash about, but I think I should upgrade my fork. It’s a seven year old Pace RC36 100mm holding up a 2001 Tracer.

I’ve always used Pace forks, but I’m fed up with them going solid as soon as the temps drop or there’s a light drizzle in the air. And Adrians flogged that side of things, so I won’t be embarrased if I bump into him.

A bit of browsing tells me that the frame was designed to run with 100mm forks (which were long travel back then!) which would give head angles of around 71.5* or 70.5* (you can adjust it), also that increasing travel on the forks slackens those angles by 1* every 10mm.

So, if I put 120mm forks on the head angle would change to 69.5*, yes? If so, would this bugger up the handling? Can you feel a difference of 1*?

Cheers

stevemakin
    Free Member

wouldn’t worry about the slight slackening, the biggest noticable thing will be how much better new forks works especially if you get a bolt through axle

stumpy01

I think it’s roughly one degree of slackening per inch of extra travel, not per 10mm.

I doubt you’d notice the difference in handling particularly and if you do, you can always run a bit more sag.

marc
    Free Member

That’s good, so I can look up to 140mm 😉

Won’t a bolt through mean a new front wheel though?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2001 Tracer. They have a reputation for having a high bottom bracket. A longer fork would make that worse. The rear has two travel settings to suit either 100mm or 80mm. It it was me, i’d match it to a fox float and drop the travel down to 100mm.

z1ppy

Gets some RS Reba’s or older Rev’s and play with the all-travel spacers?
    I’d agree with onzadog – especially if the BB is high to start with.
    140 from 100mm is a huge jump, 120mm might be more reasonable/useable though.

marc
    Free Member

I was a bit tounge in cheek about 140mm.

Onzadog, have you tried slightly longer forks on it? You have got me thinking though; Chain Reaction have an ’09 32 F100 RL in the sales that could do the job.

Before that I’d been looking at the Rockshox Revelation Team Uturn 120/150 that On-One had going cheap.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I ran forks at 80 and at 100 but nothing longer. I did feels that 100 mm really was the limit though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Have I got this right?’ is closed to new replies.