Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Have I cocked up in my bike rationalisation?
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

I decided to take stock of my bike stable late in the summer and decided to get down to less bikes. Therefore I got rid of a full suss (blur) and my genesis io and went for a ti456 to do everything. I also sold my steel 456 frame.

However as soon as it got horrible and muddy I really missed the io so have now bought an inbred as singlespeeds are just great for the winter months and think I have made my mind up that I should always have a ss in the stable.

Therefore I now have two bikes that are very similar- so should I just bite the bullet and go back to another full sus to complement the inbred of just build the ti456 slightly differently.

All views gratefully accepted

oldgit
    Free Member

I've been a one bike man for a while now (mountainbike that is) I like it myself, don't you find you really get to know how to ride it?

edhornby

why not get a single speed conversion kit? on the first of November, switch the 456 to a single speed and in February switch it back…

I can understand having a full sus for the big stuff as well as an HT, build a bouncer out of the bits currently on the inbred?

tazzymtb

pop, you really are a big bike tart! what you are missing is a trail center play/skill compensating boingy bike. it wont be any better than the 456 titanium but it will make you feel better to have at least 3 bikes! I'm down to 2 and already planning something "interesting" 😉

br
    Free Member

What you should have done is sold the frames but kept all the bits, and then you'd have different 'builds', for differnt riding/weather etc.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Tazzy- dont forget the road bike and bmx!

Edhornby- you may have the beginnings of a plan there but the sensible option would be to sell the ti456 frame and get a full suss frame (I think!)

pixelmix
    Free Member

I'm currently going for a singlespeed inbred and a Scandal for racing. I think the ideal 3 MTB setup would also include a full-susser for playing on slightly rougher stuff at the weekend.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Pixelmix- I am defo not a racer so I suppose the challenge is whether to build the 456 upto to do the 'rough stuff'

I think I may just be suffering from 'new project itch'- perhaps I just need to get out on the 456 to remind myself how good it is.

coogan
    Free Member

First, stop calling it a 'stable' and second, having a 'winter bike' just sounds like an excuse to build another bike. You can use any bike any time of the year. Thirdly, sounds like you just want to another full suss. So go buy one.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

ooh get her!!!

Would it have been better to have said 'my collection of bikes'?

I actually do think having a winter bike isnt just an excuse – firstly cleaning a singlespeed is alot quicker and the grit of cannock etc can make a real mess of a nice frame and parts

Third point you may be right and I might just do that- thanks for putting me straight 😉

sambob
    Free Member

i cope just fine with one, but that doesnt mean i dont want another one. or two. or three for that matter. just buy one 😀

coogan
    Free Member

Any time. I never really clean any of my bikes and they still work, so never understand the whole winter bike.

pixelmix
    Free Member

pop – I know what you mean about always needing another project. I seem to suffer from a similar affliction!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Have I cocked up in my bike rationalisation?’ is closed to new replies.