Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Have CRC gone loopy–excess excess packaging
  • jamesb
    Free Member

Ordered 2 x derailleur jockey wheels from CRC; received them today in a cardboard box size A4 envelope ;; why 🙁

RealMan
    Free Member

I ordered 3 pairs of socks (a set, all together) just a day or two ago. It came in a box that you could quite easily fit 2 pairs of shoes in.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve noticed this alot recently too. You used to get tires delivered wrapped up in a black plastic bin liner type thing. However, I got some tires two weeks ago, received them in a carboard box size horse box box enveloped. I had to open them in the street because the box wouldnt fit through my door/letterbox

philfive
    Free Member

same here, ordered 3 powerlinks and they came in a big thick a4 box 😀

ronjeremy
    Free Member

[url=http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crc-good-service-but-how-big-a-box]I asked the same question yesterday[/url][/u]

bedmaker

Maybe they’ve taken advice from screwfix. Once got a silicon spreading thingy set about the size of a cassette tape… in a box about 500mm square.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Same for me. Ordered something that wasn’t fragile and would’ve fitted in a standard envelope. Was a bit miffed when I had to go to the post office to pick up a shoe box size box that wouldn’t fit through my letter box. Forgot to complain about that one.

Looking forward to see what size box my forks come in, something to look forward to!

busydog
    Free Member

I too get sjipped items in boxes that are mostly filled with air, using many times the cardboard needed. Another irritant is the items that come in the thick, heat sealed plastic that could stop a 30mm armor-piercing round–finally bought a battery powered cutter from Black & Decker that makes short work of getting them opened up

jamesb
    Free Member

Sorry to repeat thread 🙁 however this excess packaging is really wasteful and stupid. I see cycling as a sustainable activity; there`s a golden rule about recycling which is : REDUCE ; REUSE; RECYCLE; CRC should look to REDUCE, it is ridiculously wasteful

druidh
    Free Member

If you pay your packers on a “per unit” basis, they’ll soon work out that it’s quicker to have fewer sizes of packaging to choose from.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

no worries on the repeat thread mate,hopefully they’ll take the hint, as stevemtb said, something that in theory could be posted through a letter box, would save the hassle of having to go and collect if you weren’t in when the post was delivered.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

recieved a hope brake olive today its about 5mm long arrived in the standard A4 1″ thick box… Mental!

damo2576
    Free Member

Less variants of packaging = less cost

pjt201
    Free Member

I got a pair of handlebars (EA70, which come in a solid box which i wouldn’t have been bothered if they just stuck an address label on) in a fork box! you could have fitted about 10 handlebar boxes in it!

doglover
    Free Member

Yeah coming a pain to have to keep visiting the delivery office for something so small (plus for someone reason Southampton Shirley seem to mislay them easily ??), think I’ll have to start paying a few extra quid and support the lbs.

Guess from a shipping/storage/transit point of view it’s easier to have several hundred boxes that stack and can fork lift easily etc… than several thousand odd shaped jiffy parcels…

RustyMac

damo2567 surly less quantity of packing = less cost also

Maybe there is a packer who does not know the difference between mm and cm

Hornet600
    Free Member

I got some gloves and lube in some triple layer and glued box rather than the normal jiffy bag. Box is now in the recycling bin but most be more to post.

project
    Free Member

I ordered some powerlinks yesterday, cant wait to see the box size.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Cycle computer wheel magnet delivered in A4 size box here!

druidh
    Free Member

Rusty Mac – Member
    damo2567 surly less quantity of packing = less cost also

But lots of variation means stocking and storing lots of sizes. And then the packer needs to be able to access them all, without taking too long.

neninja
    Free Member

Same here – single rear wheel skewer in an origami A4 box.

Crazy as it will be increasing their postal costs too.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I had a post mount adapter come in one of those A4 boxes.

I’m guessing the thickness is less than 25mm so they go as a ‘large letter’ via royal mail – still wasteful on the quantity of cardboard though

Alejandro
    Free Member

I bought three powerlinks in a little bag and they came in a huge box.

They must be taking care not to fold the invoice.

TheChunk
    Free Member

I got 2 DMR pedal bushes in a huge box the other day.

I think you can rest assured that they wouldn’t be doing it if it cost them more. I can think of lots of reasons why it would cost them less however.

mamadirt
    Free Member

ron jeremy – Member

I asked the same question yesterday

Keep up Ron 😉

trailertrash

I got a bag of powerlinks and a chain in a massive box. ffs.

jamesb
    Free Member

I fully agree about a single box and limited selection helping CRC packesr but in days when supermarkets are limiting isue of free bags CRC policy is going the wrong wayn environmentally 🙁 Many cycle products, eg lubes and oils spring to mind, use selling point of environmentally friendly so CRC should be looking to what they do themselves IMO

votchy
    Free Member

Surely the cardboard boxes are MORE environmentally friendly as they can be recycled, jiffy bags and bin liners covered in miles of packing tape cannot.

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

1 pair of brake pads in an A4 box here. Stupid!

jamesb
    Free Member

Surely the cardboard boxes are MORE environmentally friendly as they can be recycled, jiffy bags and bin liners covered in miles of packing tape cannot.

whats wrong with just a A5 manilla envelope methinks for small hardy items? Dont need jiffy bags etc

votchy
    Free Member

whats wrong with just a A5 manilla envelope methinks for small hardy items?

Nothing 😀

iainc

I got 3 A4 boxes yesterday :

1 contained 2 tyre levers

1 contained a Camelbak bite valve

I contained a camelbak dryer.

…all 3 could have fitted in a single small envelope and gone through the letterbox 👿

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Odd concept, but has anyone actually pointed this out to CRC?

It’s daft, I agree, and maybe the management would like to know how much money is being wasted on packaging? (And probably postal costs too)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😆

just buy them from a LBS

same goes for 99% of the small items in this thread

neninja
    Free Member

The new folding box doesn’t fit through our letterbox (it’s a standard size letterbox) so if I order a small item from them it gets carded if I’m out when a little jiffy bag would have gone straight through.

That’s the most annoying part for me.

ojom
    Free Member

surely all these big boxes need a big truck and seeing as it could all be condensed into a smaller package then you could use a smaller or less truck.

This would be less diesel and therefore better.

It might be cheaper for them but someone else is paying the real cost.

iainc

dirtyrider – Member

just buy them from a LBS

same goes for 99% of the small items in this thread

Why ? I order them from the comfort of my desk at work, I pay less for them than at the LBS, they get delivered to my house (ok, left round teh back as they boxes won’t go though the letter box 😈 ).. So I save money and time and still get my stuff within a few days.

I do regularly use my LBS and support them by doing so, but for small ticket items online is more convenient and cheaper.

robgarrioch

Recently had 2 caliper mounting bolts from them….

DM52
    Free Member

I ordered a new helmet from them and it was delivered in just the manufacturers packaging. Have I been done out of excess card board? 🙂

jamesb
    Free Member

Has anyone pointed this out to CRC ; YES YES YES, here`s their response and I will update on this:

YOUR EMAIL HAS BEEN RECEIVED! Thank you for contacting Chain Reaction Cycles. We aim to get back to you with a response as soon as possible. If you wish to view your order status or change personal information on your account click on the following link: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx Please also visit our Frequently Asked Questions section using the link below. It contains useful product and order information that may help you with your enquiry.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Information.aspx?TranslationLargeID=1006 Please be aware of our opening hours for email responses: Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm GMT Saturday Closed Sunday Closed Regards, Chain Reaction Cycles Customer Service Chain Reaction Cycles Ltd. Kilbride Rd Doagh Ballyclare BT39 0QA United Kingdom The World’s Largest Online Bike Store THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE AND IS FOR NOTIFICATION ONLY. NO REPLY IS NECESSARY.

so there we go, I await a human (oid) response with anticipation, maybe I`ll get a free A4 cardboard box 🙁 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Have CRC gone loopy–excess excess packaging’ is closed to new replies.