Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Have 6ft2 riders eaten frame designers puddings or something?
  • bubs

Just once I would like a frame where I am not between sizes and so given the choice of being playful or planted – I want both please and I want to be in the middle of the recommended heights.

bigblackshed

You’re too short, that’s your problem.

😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Also….laterally stiff and vertically complaint.
    I’m 6’2 and a half so I have no idea what you’re on about.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 8in and riding one of the longer “large” frames on the market. Feel like I have a MTB that fits properly for first time in 20+ years.

Don’t believe their recommended sizes, XL all the way at your height.

bensales
    Free Member

Bobbins. My XL Five was uncomfortable. Bugger all standover and the top tube was too short.

I’m with Bubs on this, it seems to be a particularly hard height for designers to get right. Especially back in the 26in days. A modern 29er in large seems to be the best bet.

STATO
    Free Member

Reading recommended sizing charts, there’s your problem.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and the large Airdrop Edit sits between other brands’ L and XL and fits me perfectly

ampthill

I’d love to be between sizes. Surely that gives more choice. The seat tube length is irrelevant for you, so you get to choose from 2 top tube lengths. If you are 6 foot 4 you don’t get to choose.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I was assuming the OP would take standover into account, so I don’t think I’m talking bobbins really.

As someone just said, it’s great to be able to size up if you can.

Chainline
    Free Member

Geometron…

Superficial
    Free Member

Canyon Strive in Large Race geometry, or XL (non-Race) would probably be about right. Or XL Race if you’re a real hero.

The thing you’re getting confused about is thinking that there’s a ‘right’ size for you. There’s no real ‘right’ sizing for height any more – it’s all a mash up of height / riding style / chosen attributes. Every bike is a compromise of ‘playful’ and ‘planted’ whether you’re 6’2 or 5’7. The only thing that’s really changed in recent years is manufacturers’ understanding that a lot of us would do better on longer bikes if we took a few rides to become accustomed to the longer top tube style of riding.

maxtorque

in 2016, if you can’t find a decent bike that “fits” you must be doing something wrong!

Loads of choice, in loads of styles and intended useages, from DH to XC race!

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’m very happy on xl/20″ Rocky Mountains, all of them just have that right mix of speed when you feel like it and quite happy bouncing around when you want to just want to mess about.

Gotama
    Free Member

I find it much better now we have 29ers and longer reach geometry.

hatter

6 2″ here with big long monkey arms,

The XL Saracens fit me pretty much perfectly when paired with a nice stubby stem.

sas78

Had the same problem for years too. At six two…

2011 large camber pro – great length but too small seatpost and always felt huge on it. Xl was no good, just felt completely wrong. 26er too and always felt just a little small. Loved it to ride though, so light and quick.

Got an xl rigid inbred 29er now, love it. Great fit.

My large spearfish fits perfect too.

I tend to ignore the size charts and just try a few out, but it’s true that we’re on the cusp of most brands l-xl.

chakaping
    Free Member

You can have playful and planted, with a long front centre and short stays.

It’s a terrific combination IMO.

jruk
    Free Member

XL Aeris with 780mm bars. Sorted.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

6’2″ here.

All my bikes have been large*, never really noticed any of them not fitting me, and never had a demo of any of them.

3 cotic souls
    Cotic Bfe
    Heckler
    Sb66
    Spectral 29
    Capra

*except the brief dalliance with the fatbike (pugsley) which was XL. Was fine on the length front, but stand over was too high, meaning I couldn’t even get a 100mm dropper, so quickly moved it on.

bensales
    Free Member

It was easier in the olden days. You just got a 19in and put a long stem on it.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’m 6 ft 2 and a half and xl bikes all the way now. Although i had large 575 which fitted okay. My first dh bike was a medium Wilson which I can’t believe the bike hop talked me into getting. Looked like a clown bike but ride surprisingly well.

I ride a nuke proof scout 290 xl and 60mm stem and if anything could do with a roomier cockpit. Next step up is a geometron

johnw1984
    Free Member

jruk speaks the truth! Exactly my setup 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

chapaking, that depends what ‘planted’ means, in a straight line or on the limit in a corner…in my view its a similar popular misconception ( along the lines that short stays means ‘playful’ or is it easy if you have no technique) that the only reason for decreasing head angle is for stability and that it inevitably leads to ‘wander’ and ‘flop’.

A great deal of ‘playfulness’ can be introduced or dialed out by rear suspension set up both shock and due to the overall design of the curve or both..

No one parameter makes a bike…

bensales
    Free Member

I’d be interested in knowing some inside leg measurements (fnar) though. We’re all of similar height, but for example, I have a 34 inside leg, so probably don’t want quite such a long reach on a bike. Someone else may have stumpy legs and a long back. Quite likely explains why some of us go for L and some XL bikes.

mattyfez

Im 6’3 have a 22″ frame and I always felt slightly stretched..saddle as forward as I dare..a mm or 2 beyond the guide lines..have been toying with the idea of a stumpy stem and a bar with a bit more rise.

As luck would have it, my crappy forks packed in, so upgraded from 80mm to 100mm.. fixed all my woes as it lifted the front end a bit. Bike fits better and better forks..Double bonus!

br
    Free Member

6’2″ here, but with really long legs.

Best fit is my old 20″ 456Ti but a recently bought large Camber evo 29er fits now I’ve got a 170mm Reverb.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

really low/flat bars (like everyone seems to use these days) will make most bikes feel planted. Some 2 inch risers will sort you.

TooTall
    Free Member

Isn’t the default setting to still have a chuckable ie too small bike?

Confused. I thought I was the only person who wanted a bike that fit.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Between sizes? I’d be thrilled if anyone made anything remotely the right size for 6’5″ me.

pickle
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 2″ and always go for a medium (18″) frame, never felt too small for me??

Clobber
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and always prefer XL just feel better on them 90% of the time to have a bike that fits rather than the 10% of the time I hoped it was more manoeuvrable… getting a bike with short chainstays helps with this though….

sprocker
    Free Member

Just under 6 2 on a large orbea rallon which is fine for me with a 45mm stem on, had a large Dune before that which felt great until it snapped. Sat on a large transition patrol and that felt tiny though as did a large bronson.

Sam

This frame designer is 6’2″ so pretty much all our XL frames are designed to fit me.

corroded
    Free Member

I was between L and XL on a recent all rental SC Bronson. Went for L and it felt too small. Same with lots of brands. And road frames – 58 can be on the small side, 60 too large.

chiefgrooveguru

Really the dimension that matters in reach or ETT is your shoulder to hip measurement. Though if you have two riders with equal torso measurements, would the one with longer legs prefer a shorter bike? Or do longer legs and arms go hand in hand so that cancels out?

lunge

Isn’t the default setting to still have a chuckable ie too small bike?
    Confused. I thought I was the only person who wanted a bike that fit.

Chuckable, I do chuckle at that word, because 10mm of wheelbase and 15m of standover will turn a bike from chuckable to a barge.

6’4″ here, never had a test ride, just buy the biggest bike they do, normally an XL, 21″ or 60cm frame. Then adjust stem, seatpost and saddle position and accept that’s as good as it’ll get.

tomaso
    Free Member

6’2″ and on an XL Giant Reign and it took a while to adjust to how long it is. All sorted now and it is a great fit for up down and along.

tomcrow99

6’2″ here on an xl kona process 153, as above it took a while to get used too but anything else just feels cramped now.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

6’2″ here too. Height mostly from long legs.
    20″ 456EVO Ti fitted reasonably well but could have done with a bit more TT length as I had to run a Loooong (50mm for God’s sake) stem.

XL Liteville frames (both 301 & 601) are about 19.75″ and seem to work well for me with a 30mm stem

Clobber
    Free Member

This…

This frame designer is 6’2″ so pretty much all our XL frames are designed to fit me.

Sam’s XL frames seem as if they were designed for me!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Have 6ft2 riders eaten frame designers puddings or something?’ is closed to new replies.