Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • hat vs skull cap for (road) riding in rain
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Are baseball type caps any better at keeping the rain/wind away from your eyes than skull caps? I’ve been wearing a skull cap under my helmet and sunglasses, but in heavy downpours i end up with my eyes stinging/watering loads and have to stop as i can’t see – same if the wind changes direction. Or would the visor just get in the way on the drops?

I guess my eye cream won’t be helping matters either 🙄

ourmaninthenorth

Not baseball caps, no. They’re way too bulky and the peak is too long.

You want a regular biretta/casquette*, which will fit fine under a lid, and also provide a peak to keep the worst of the rain off.

Either spend out on a nice Rapha one, or choose from a thousand different designs from Prendas.

*delete as applicable, depending on your preference for Italian or French

crazy-legs
    OmarLittle
    Free Member

+1 for a casquette.

I wear one even in sunny days the summer, keeps the wasps and bees from getting in a helmet vent and stinging my head, plus on a hot day if you soak it in water then it is good for cooling purposes too.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member
    foxyrider
    Free Member

The pictures on the rapha site look like Imperial Fleet Officer caps 😯

LardLover
    Free Member

Casquette and glasses. Solo one for me.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to a plain black one?

Looking at Prendas price rather than Rapha preferably

jimc101
    Free Member

Currently using a Sugoi Subzero skull cap when it’s cold and wet, it is awsome for keeping my head warm & dry even when raining hard; got mine in Las Vegas a few years a go, don’t know where over here to get them.

http://www.sugoi.com/usa/eng/Products/Accessories/Men/Details/1501-92891U-SubZero-Skull-Cap

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

The rapha ones look horrible. I was looking at one on the minx-girl website.

But they don’t look like they cover ears? I need something (in winter anyway which is when its wettest) to keep my ears warm too. I know, moon on a stick please. 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

Folk say visors stop them seeing the road in the drops, never been the case for me, I wear mtb helmets on the road anyway, not being a fashion victim 😛

crazy-legs

MTB helmet (with visor) with a Buff underneath it. Works for me.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I need something (in winter anyway which is when its wettest) to keep my ears warm too

Winter Hats? or a buff underneath.

Edit: @ Colonel wax.
    Any good? http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLCICCAP/cinelli-cotton-cycling-cap

Gary_M
    Free Member

I used to wear a skull cap but find a cap much better. The gore one s very good, doesn’t keep yer ears warm though.

ourmaninthenorth

The rapha ones look horrible

Good lord, do you know what the fashionm police will do to you for saying that..?!

Winter hats are available and have “Belgian” style earflaps. However, they’re usually much more bulky that a skull cap, so make your lid sit on your head much more. Doesn’t bother me.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am surprised no one has come on here so far and said MTFU? Of course I’m not!

Bazz

I bought one of these for winter riding and think it was pretty good value for money

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-performance-logo-cap/

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Folk say visors stop them seeing the road in the drops, never been the case for me, I wear mtb helmets on the road anyway, not being a fashion victim

+1.

Plus lids like a giro e2 have adjustable peaks, so you can just push it up a bit.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Hmmm. I shall try a winter cap with ear flaps i think, cheers 🙂

FR, its WTFU please. And i do, most of the time. Until i have to stop as my eyes are watering so bad that i can’t see.

OMITN, I also wear a mtb helmet with a visor for more ammo for the fashion police.

foxyrider
    Free Member

😉 – I didn’t say it ! But of course you are correct it would be WFTU 😉 Sorry I was only jesting .

However I do wear a road helmet on a road bike so does that make me part of the fashion police? 😉

I do in subzero temps wear a skull cap with ear flaps! I just don’t do caps 🙂

colonelwax
    Free Member

Cheers Mulletus Maximus didn’t think to look at on one/planet x, forgot they do clothes

clubber
    Free Member

Folk say visors stop them seeing the road in the drops, never been the case for me, I wear mtb helmets on the road anyway, not being a fashion victim

Depends one your roadie position – on my winter bike (CX bike with slicks), it’s fine. On my ‘proper’ road bike which is a good bit longer and lower at the front, it definitely does get in the way. YMMV.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

FR, only if you pass judgement on me not liking road helmets or rapha caps. As long as i like what i’m wearing, i don’t care what the fashion police think of me 😀

ourmaninthenorth

One thing though, unless it’s still mighty freezing in Scotland (which is where I think you are DGOAB), I’d say a winter hat will now be way too warm.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tend to prefer this solution in these situations:

MrSmith
    Free Member

you obviously have no lower back flexibility and have a bike set up in the ‘nodder’ position 🙂

how can something perfectly designed to do a job (road caps) be for fashion victims?
    if you wear one to the pub at a jaunty angle then yes but for riding on the road?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not at all MrSmith, I’m as areo as I need to be and that’s as areo as most here.

I just don’t see the point of having a separate road helmet, I like to show the traditionalists my roots anyhow.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve got the rapha knitted hat and it would be wear too warm to wade riding. Great hat though for other hat type stuff.

robgarrioch

Claire – if you want to try a Santini H2O Cap, PM me yer address & I’ll post the black one I bought & cannae use over – tried it on one ride & it’s too damn small! Or my heids too damn big.

No charge 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

I generally wear a baseball cap, for MTB rather than road if that makes any odds. I wear glasses and the peak works just fine for keeping them rain free.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘hat vs skull cap for (road) riding in rain’ is closed to new replies.