Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Has my BB died already ?
  • rustydonkey
    Free Member

I picked up my Zesty 514 2 months ago and have done 4-6 days out on it. Today when i was climbing a hill it started making a clicking / metallic grinding noise that seemed to be coming from the front of the drive train. It seemed to happen each revolution of the pedals. I had a look as i was riding along and it didn’t look like the chain was catching on the front mech and it was the wrong sort of noise for that. I haven’t pressure washed it and cleaned it by hand after every ride. Surely the BB hasn’t died already or is it something else?

Thanks in advance.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Could well have died, it’s well known that they last about 5 minutes

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The one in my Zesty lasted 3 rides or about 6 hours riding. Seized solid when I checked before a 4th ride 🙁

rustydonkey
    Free Member

Is there a way i can find out? Is it all BB’s that last 5 mins or the Lapierre ones?

rustydonkey
    Free Member

mtbtomo – thats crazy. mine is well past its sell by date then. Did you get that replaced under warranty?

geminafantasy
    Free Member

I know both my headset and bb on my zesty 314 both came with an open bearing semi integrated design that is clearly not fit for purpose for mtb’ing, my headset started to grind after 3 rides in the peaks and i had to replace it with a sealed one, luckily I haven’t had issues yet with my bb but guessing it’ll only be a matter of time. 😕

You’re best off just replacing the bb with a sealed unit, and get the headset done at the same time, although this is the only bad thing I can say about my lap 🙂

rustydonkey
    Free Member

Anybody know which BB is fitted to a 2011 514 Zesty from new ?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I think I probably should have tried to claim for warranty but I bought the bike mainly for the frame – I’d swapped so many parts including the cranks that I think they might have baulked at replacing it.

I swapped it out for a KCNC BB92 equivalent in the end. Two rides, so far so good….???

The headset has also needed treatment after every muddy ride. Its a loose ball set up, with no form of sealing other than some plastic covers. Something else for replacement. Anyone recommend a replacement? (semi integrated I think?)

rustydonkey
    Free Member

Should i try and claim a new one under warranty?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you have change the cranks you might be pushing it but I would try under SOGA – go back to the shop and ask

gamo
    Free Member

Evans refused a warranty claim on my brothers Zesty bb saying it was wear and tear and so not covered!Have a look at the Enduro one seems better sealed.

rustydonkey
    Free Member

What’s SOGA?

Surely a main integral component of a bike like a BB should be made to last a lot longer than 6 days on a 2k+ bike?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

Shimano Integrated bearings BB SMBB7141A is what is fitted in the 2011 models according to the spec sheet

dont know if that is an improvement over previous

ScottChegg
    Free Member

SOGA – Sale of Goods Act.

There is an arguement that if the BB isn’t faced, it will contribute greatly to the lifespan of a BB.

Convincing a reatile rof this might be difficult. Take it to a good LBS and get them to check the facing, and do it if necessary. Then replace with a quality item (not Raceface!)

Then you should be set for the summer.

rustydonkey
    Free Member

It is in in LBS now to be looked at. He did say that he didn’t think it would be the BB as they don’t fail this early.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Has my BB died already ?’ is closed to new replies.