• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Has Multimap / Bing stopped doing OS 25k maps?
  • phiiiiil

Just looking at a potential route on t’intarweb and it seems Bing / Multimap no longer have 25k OS mapping available… is it broken, or have they quietly got rid of it?

Bit of a pity if it’s permanent, I preferred Multimap to Streetmap (who still have 25k OS maps…)

jools182
    Free Member

Multimap was ace

Bing is absolute bobbins

IA

Oh aye, it seems to have gone 🙁

It was there literally yesterday!

On the plus side, my randomly chosen zoom to check this revealed a place called “Cockmylane” *giggle*

mrblobby
    Free Member

Still working here.

dan314
    Free Member

Still working for me.

neninja
    Free Member

Did Bing/Multimap ever have 1:25k maps?

I remember them having 1:50k which they still have, if selected, but I always had to go to streetmap.co.uk for 1:25k.

neninja
    Free Member

More annoying for me is the http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk where I do most of my route planning has lost 1:50k OS mapping. It still has 1:25k if you log in but the 1:50k was useful as you can see more on screen.

Spin
    Free Member

I noticed this the other day but assumed it was just for certain locations.

phiiiiil

I tried a few different locations just in case it had gone for Wales but not England or somesuch but for me it’s completely gone. Which is a nuisance, as I much prefer 25k maps over 50k ones (my map shelf is far more orange than pink…)

Boohooo…

geoffj

Try where’s the path (google for URL I’m on my phone)

cp

yep – bing for me only has 1:50

gregwoods
    Free Member

I posted an article a couple of years ago about getting 1:25000 maps printed off using Bing Free OS Maps using Bing. I followed my procedure for a short walk today (wife hasn’t got a bike!) and realised halfway round that we weren’t making the progress we should have been!
    When I got home, I compared Bing maps to “OS Atlas” on Android and realised that Bing have indeed stopped doing the Ordnance Survey 25K zoom level. They just magnify the 50K maps. Very disappointing 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

streetmap still have 25K

mintimperial

Yeah, I think so. I don’t think it’s Bing/Multimap’s doing, as the 25k map tiles seem to have been pulled from another source I use too. The OS are probably trying to make money out of their assets and are pulling tiles from any free web sources as part of that. It was nice while it lasted, eh?

Militant_biker

allthepies – Member
    streetmap still have 25K

Indeed they do, and their GUI is much improved from days of yore. Draggy map, much better than using the old arrows.

CountZer0
    Free Member

Bing maps have a broken dataset it seems, supplied by Ordinance Survey I guess. They are waiting for a new one before republishing. There’s details on MS Developer Network (MSDN) website here: MSDN forums, 1:25000k layer broken You’ll note the last posting date was 5 days ago, so I suspect something at the beginning of November will kick in.

mark85xc
    Free Member

Looking at that link, this site still has 1:25000 and it’s way faster than bing 🙂 shhh, keep it quiet or it’ll slow down!

http://data.nbn.org.uk/imt/

fbk
    Free Member

No 1:25000 mapping for round here on that site either.

I think OS have clamped down a lot on the 1:25000 images after it became more easy to download them via free software and cache them on hand held devices. Shame really but I don’t suppose you can blame them 🙁

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Has Multimap / Bing stopped doing OS 25k maps?’ is closed to new replies.