Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Has anyone had any dealings with Downhill44 and Stance2016 on Pinkbike?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

They have both sent me enquiries about an item I am listing on Pinkbike. I get instantly suspicious when I get offered cash on collection accompanied with ‘I am a genuine buyer’

Stance2016 has next to no history on Pinkbike which adds to the suspicion.

batman11
    Free Member

Not dealt with them but first thing I do is see when they joined and activity which it seems you’ve done.
    Also if they’ve emailed just put that in google and see what it comes up with or even the user name that works sometimes see if there on other forums.
    Or just don’t do it if it doesn’t feel right.

poah
    Free Member

I’ve sold stuff on pinkbike to people that have just signed up (probably because they found your advert). If you are worried ask for BT and then post.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    enigmas
    Free Member

If selling something high value with relatively little demand, ie a bike, I’d meet but do so in a neutral location and bring a mate.

If it’s something that would sell easily anyway, walk away.

dougieb
    Free Member

On the flip side of the coin, if I was a buyer, I wouldn’t be happy purchasing a high value item (bike, car) from a neutral location. A seller asking to meet in a neutral location is somewhat suspicious

– are the items stolen?
    – Why don’t they want me to know where they live?
    – are they going to rob me?

dmck16
    Free Member

dougieb – Member
    On the flip side of the coin, if I was a buyer, I wouldn’t be happy purchasing a high value item (bike, car) from a neutral location. A seller asking to meet in a neutral location is somewhat suspicious

– are the items stolen?
    – Why don’t they want me to know where they live?
    – are they going to rob me?

Why would you want potential thieves knowing where you and your bikes live?

Rob you? In a public place surrounded by other people, or in your own home with your valuables and no other people?

Bike theft is so prevalent right now, often using social media and ‘for sale’ adverts to track down targets.

Surely best practice to protect yourself whilst making it harder for them?

poah
    Free Member

I’m going to be selling my son’s ripcord soon and no way would I have someone meet at the house.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

bit of a catch 22 really. I have bought two bikes off pinkbike. The first one not long after I registered as I was looking for a bike to buy. Both times went to the sellers house. Cash on purchase is pretty standard for something you are going to look at, in my opinion anyway. Meeting at a neutral place, to me, sounds sketchy as I instantly assume that the goods are nicked. However I do see the point about not wanting “potential buyers” to know where you live. Unfortunately its a trust game…if it feels dodge it probably is!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone had any dealings with Downhill44 and Stance2016 on Pinkbike?’ is closed to new replies.