Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Has anyone else snapped a Cove Stiffee
  • nigew
    Free Member

Anyone else snapped a Cove Stiffee, i did a little drop on Weds night, slid on the ice/ mud combo, braked and heard a crack.
    At first i thought the back wheel had come loose but on closer inspection
    found this
    The driveside chainstay had split in two!
    Im now on the look out for a replacement!

I couldnt do the pic linky thing

poppa
    Free Member

~

tinsy
    Free Member

Chainsuck killed that more than anything else…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oopnorth
    Free Member

It not chainsuck…he just never washes it!!!! 😀

Oh and it must have been that rizla sized air you got that did it! ha Ha!

nickegg
    Free Member

Not surprised it split…afer all tubes work best when the wall thickness is what it should be!!!

MadPierre

That does look like one battered frame prior to cracking!

doris
    Free Member

Ive seen two snap, one which just fatigued over time, the original round tubed one which was very well used! and one of the 69'er baby blue ones where the drop outs ripped off halfway down the main dh track in les arcs. The guy who owned that bike could break anything though, he's snapped kona's, a turner, a cove, an airbourne and i believe a marin grrrr!!

oopnorth
    Free Member

Come and ride with us in calderdale, it batters frames and components silly!
    On weds night we had a freehub break, a chain snap, disc brakes fail & the snapped frame above.

richc
    Free Member

yep 2, both on the chainstays, and with Cove's *shortest warranty in the business* over here, I didn't bother replacing the 2nd one as I like frames that last more than a year.

I got a PA (then a LH, then a Alpine) and never looked back

shepleg
    Free Member

nope but know of a couple of hustlers that have snapped and were sticky on giving warranties on.

MrAgreeable

Might be worth having a word with Silverfish as I understand they offer a crash replacement programme. Or claim on your insurance if you have any. From other experiences with Silverfish (an RF Diabolous DH post where the clamp sheared) they are not prone to giving the benefit of the doubt.

My Stiffee's an '05 and still going strong, still even has most of the paint attached.

shepleg
    Free Member

mate had checked both silverfish and cove

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It really looks like chain slap/suck has caused it. Will warranty cover it?

olie
    Free Member

Obviously you need a slightly used Blue Pig which I can supply you if you wish!!!!!!!!

PM me if you're interested.

OLIE

ton

looks like a well ridden frame nige, aided with a bit of radness…..snap………. 😉

therealhoops
    Free Member

I recommend Kona Stuff be your next bike.

crazy-legs

From other experiences with Silverfish (an RF Diabolous DH post where the clamp sheared) they are not prone to giving the benefit of the doubt.

They've always been really good with me (mostly on ISIS BB's) but they repsrayed my Stiffee frame under warranty when the original paint started peeling off, very quick turnaround, no quibble.
    I think part of it is that the frames they make are all aimed at the "hardcore" end of the market so probably tend to be given a bit more abuse than you might otherwise expect.

Anyway, that frame looks knackered more from chainsuck/chainslap than anything! Surprised you didn't run it with some kind of chainstay cover or something to protect it…

nigew
    Free Member

Silverfish have offered a crash replacement, but its quite a bit of money! I think a loved 2nd hand one will have to do.
    Surely frames are made with thicker tubes on the driveside to allow for chainsuck! Or dont they think of us blokes that ride all year in calderdales gloop 8)
    Shepleg- Dont scare me, my other bike is a Hustler!
    Ton- it does look battered but hey i didnt paint it with Crown Emulsion, thats Coves department 😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone else snapped a Cove Stiffee’ is closed to new replies.