• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Has anyone done a mountain marathon? (LAMM)
  • zempy

Im a OK fell runner and can read a map / use a compass.

Any Info or tips on running a Lamm?

Clink

Done lots in the past (KIMM pre-OMM, LAMM, SLMM) but none recently. Most important skill is navigation, which it sounds like you’ve got sorted. Also a partner who you get on with – really important when you’re knackered and they’re not or vv. Depends if you want to run it for the experience or be competitive. I’m in the later category now and will happily carry a bit of extra weight for comfort. Last time I looked the FRA forum was useful. Midges can be an issue on the LAMM – take insect replellant and midge head net.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve done it and the KIMM a couple of times each. If you do a lot of fell running you probably know most of what you need to, but off the top of my head:

-Be super strict with your kit (but they probably will check you have the minimum)
    -plastic bags for walking around camp in your wet shoes
    -make absolutely sure sleeping bag etc will stay dry
    -don’t try some crazy cooking solution to save a few grammes without making absolutely sure it will work exactly as you think it will in the worst conditions
    -practice running with your loaded sack before the event
    -don’t expect to be able to dump anything at mid camp

Anything specific you were wondering about?

ajf
    Free Member

now we are talking proper sports! Sorry but MM’s are more fun that MTB!!!

Have a look at what I took for the OMM last year http://middlepack.co.uk/2008/10/kit-for-the-omm-2008/

My first ever win was a mountain marathon so I have to put that down as well! 😉 http://middlepack.co.uk/2008/10/rab-mountain-marathon-2008-reviewed/

Take as little as possible as you really do not need stupid things like lids (use foil). Look at your food and make sure it is calorie heavy. Don’t scrimp but don’t take too much.

Weigh everything!

There is a link on my omm kit list for the planet fear kit list which is also very good.

ajf
    Free Member

Oh and it doesn’t matter how fast you run, if you are running in the wrong direction.

Nav is essential, route choice is the difference!

brakeswithface

Alimeters are worth their weight in gold if you can get hold of one. Also time everything, assume either 5km or 6km per hour depending on ambitions and time every leg – helps massively to prevent silly nav errors (often brought about by optimistically hoping you’ve travelled further than you have!)

Balloon beds are good -don’t over inflate them though. Ear plugs are good for the overnighter if it’s windy – sleep is important! Eat regularly throughout the day – jelly babies are your friend.

Depending on the terrain and how dry it has been I would never carry water – easy way to save a couple of kilos. Instead take a small mug or sports bottle clipped to your sack and drink from any streams you cross. Never carried water on any kimms/lamms/saunders and havent been dehydrated or had problems with the water. A couple of large freezer bags make a good water carrier at the overnighter too.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Nav is essential, route choice is the difference!

+1 to this! Also force yourself to keep on top of your nav. It’s surprisingly easy to miss/choose to ignore errors if you’ve got your head down and are plodding on with your chosen route, especially on day 2 if the conditions are/have been bad.

oldgit
    Free Member

Well I could have given you some advice on the KIMM after waiting years to get in.
    But my mates wife decided to pup that weekend so it never happened.
    Couldn’t be arsed after that.

spandex_bob

Stash one map in a sac the moment you get it, leaving one out for nav. If river crossings are deep / fast, do them together holding onto each others shoulder-straps. Might not need the stability but it can be a lot faster (as well as safer). Don’t follow the masses, my buddy and I are pretty slow as a team but place reasonably high up thanks to sneaky route choice. Eat regularly (we use a beeping hour timer on a watch). Take oxo cubes and super-noodles for early evening snacks, generally have a LOT of time in the overnight. Use the loos (OMM) or trench (LAMM) early sunday morning to avoid the stench / queues. Don’t pitch your tent on top of your dibber or you’ll spend the whole night looking for it ;0)

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Depends what course you are doing and whether you aim to be competitive? If you’re doing a short course and/or not competitive take more stuff for comfort. If long/competitive take less stuff. But in either case, look at the weather and adjust accordingly on Friday night. Would second the use of an Altimeter.

See you there – I’ll be taking pictures out on the course and doing the online reporting.

ajf
    Free Member

If you’re doing a short course and/or not competitive take more stuff for comfort. If long/competitive take less stuff.

What more stuff do you need for comfort other than the mandatory list plus a balloon bed? Always baffles me what people pack into their 30l rucksacks with half a kitchen hanging off the straps.

The kit list is everything you could possibly need unless really bad weather is forecast.

+1 for early toilet stops!

zempy

Thanks for the tips everyone.

The toilet tip especially!

I was questioning weather to take water now im decided i wont bother and will be able to take more food!

This is my first MM. Im running in the D catagory so we hope to enjoy the event but would like to place in the middle or above. I think we can run for the duration, just spent a lovley weekend running up Helvelyn / Great Dodd and High street to prove to ourselves we can run at pace for long periods!

I thought route choice would be critical. When you start do people just dive to the floor to work out the best route?

Also what is a realistic time to complete each day of the “D” course, the fatstest times on the LAMM web site seem quite long?

Has anyone used the sleeping matt that is in the OMM rucksack? I dont think i can fit my rollmatt in.

Finally shoes. I usually run in Inov8 mudclaws, would they be the best option?

Thanks again, I think im looking forward to it!

ajf
    Free Member

I thought route choice would be critical. When you start do people just dive to the floor to work out the best route?

I usually work out the route to CP 1 if a point to point and then do the others on route. There will be enough hills that will give you chance to walk and have a look at the next CP and plan ahead.

Has anyone used the sleeping matt that is in the OMM rucksack? I dont think i can fit my rollmatt in.

yes, it insulates okay but ain’t as good as a balloon bed, or as light. You also can’t take novelty dogs out of the OMM one. http://www.balloonbed.com/

Oh and roll mats are far too heavy and cumbersome.

Finally shoes. I usually run in Inov8 mudclaws, would they be the best option?

Yep! Be no roads, hardly any paths so just wear your comfiest shoes that you would for a long fell race.

Can’t comment on the Lamm as never got my act together to travel so far north. I also think??? they are relooking at the distances in the LAMM as they were getting a bit long so you may be out for less time.

A pack weight should be around or slightly over 5kg with no fancy kit. Mine is nearer the 4kg but I am minimal, but still no fancy kit.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

What more stuff do you need for comfort other than the mandatory list plus a balloon bed?

A pack weight should be around or slightly over 5kg with no fancy kit. Mine is nearer the 4kg but I am minimal

I think you just answered your own question.

I too am a minimalist, but when I’ve competed with a slower partner I’ve allowed myself the luxury of an extra top and a bit more food.

zempy,

I don’t think you’ll find many competitive types at least carrying any water. Personally I carry an empty half ltr soft drink bottle fixed on the strap of my rucksack with elastic loops, and fill it up when I need it, but some people just carry a cup and dip and drink as they go. On the D course the nav will be straightforward, probably without a lot of route choice either, though in the past on the LAMM the D course has been to some of the highest CPs – they like to get you feeling you’ve had some exposure! Mudclaws will be fine if that’s what you’re used to.

ajf
    Free Member

not really answered own question?

I got my weight down but still carry the same items. It is just the items weigh less. Lost 400g from my sleeping bag when I got a Rab top bag, 100g from my mat when I dumped the OMM one for a ballon bed. Less food is 100g+, 100g from a different waterproof jacket (still a cheap one though), I wear leggings so don’t pack any others 250g (unless its the OMM where I am always cold at overnight so pack some fleece lined ones), no lid on cooking pot ?? grams. Weather depends on my top but another 100g+ possible there. Dropped another 100g+ by using a different bag. etc etc

Without these then my pack weight is 5kg ish+, with them it is just over 4kg

My only real pleasure is some warm dry socks for the overnight camp but I put the wet ones back on in the morning as the dry ones weigh less in the bag. I even take food out of the packaging and put in plastic bags as they weigh less and then pack smaller.

I may be a tad obsessive about things but found that with a bit of thought you can really drop the grams without shelling stupid cash on £200 waterproof jackets or titanium mugs and spoons. I prefer to enjoy my running by being light as opposed to the overnight camp.

If my partner is slower I will just carry some of their stuff or more of the shared stuff. Wouldn’t carry more as I don’t need any more.

Suppose some people obsess about weight of their bikes, I do it with my running gear.

brakeswithface

ajf – if weather at the kimm depends on your top, what did you wear last time? ;o)

ajf
    Free Member

Packed a heavier more robust tent and put a rab primaloft smock so when wet It would still be warmer than a down jacket or a lightweigh fleece. Apart from that it was pretty much business as usual. Still all in a 20l bag.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone done a mountain marathon? (LAMM)’ is closed to new replies.