Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hardtail recommendations
  • Scapegoat

I’m due a modest windfall, so am thinking about a new hardtail. My current Cube Ltd is getting on a bit, but over the years has accumulated various upgrades, so in true Trigger’s broom fashion only the frame is original. All the components are in good condition, so I only need to change the frame.
    The geometry on the Cube is very steep, something like 72 degrees, so I find it very nervous on steep rocky stuff, wider bars help with a mid-length stem ( 70mm) but it is an unashamed forest road/ flowing hardpack thrasher.
    I would like to keep the 100mm Rebas, so I’m looking at staying in the short travel zone. I have a 140mm bouncer for bigger stuff, so the new bike/frame will be for bridleways and fast smoother stuff.
    I like the look of the Scandal, and have had a browse around Maxlights. Any views? Should I give into my arthritic hip and get a Full Sus XC frame?

rob2
    Free Member

Cotic soul, pretty much does everything

Scapegoat

Cotic Soul? Oooh, yes, that looks like a contender…. keep ’em coming. As I hadn’t really been looking at steel, any more? I built my lad an mmmbop a year or two go, so would a Blue Pig be an option on 100mm forks?

taxi25
    Free Member

I Know its a cliche to recommend an on-one but with 100mm forks I’d fancy one of these.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOVDO126/on_one_inbred_26er_vertical_dropout

Had one years ago and always regretted selling it 🙁

1981miked
    Free Member

Cotic Soul.. End of..

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The Scandal is stiff.

I have had 2 Kinesis Maxlight frames and loved them, very compliant, comfy, fast and light. Also cheap. That’s what I would suggest.

st66

In the usual spirit of recomending what you own – how about a sanderson?

Sanderson

I have a Sanderson breath with 100mm Rebas – use it on everything from XC to trail centre type stuff. Works great for me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Blue Pig is designed for 160 forks (even the Piglet is designed for around 130)

You might like to consider a Dialed Prince Albert also. As per the Soul you can upgrade to 120 forks perhaps at a later stage.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Orange P7 here, they can be had for much cheapness from Bikescene right now.

They’re very versatile and the ride is lovely.

mboy
    Free Member

In the usual spirit of recomending what you own

😆

+1

How about a Genesis Altitude/Latitude… Like a Cotic Soul, only a bit cheaper. Great frames.

Certainly wouldn’t be looking at burly overbuilt frames like a Blue Pig as you suggest though. Anything from the usual suspects such as Cotic, On One, Whyte, Genesis etc. should fit the bill nicely. Cotic Soul probably the nicest looking of the lot, and debatably worth the extra over the others (depending on your viewpoint), but none will build a bad bike.

grtdkad

A pair of carbon hardtails here, love them both… Whyte 19c and an OnOne Whippet.

The Whyte is true fave though!

swingbing
    Free Member

2nd hand Cotic Soul frame

mdb
    Free Member

I love my Genesis Latitude. Reynolds 853 Frame, tapered headtube means its future proofed and it comes in go-faster blood orange.

Pics of mine here

Scapegoat

Right. Rethink. Compulsive purchase content ahead.

Yesterday I rode with a mate who has a Ti 456 with Fox 140s. We rode a selection of often steep harsh and rocky descents (between Hudds and Halifax) and part of the discussion we had was why the hell would I want to keep a 100mm forked hardtail when I could go for something a bit longer, especially over the sort of stuff we ride most of the time.

I then started to look at the Cotic Soul in earnest, and saw that it worked really well with 120 forks. That windfall came today and my twitchy trigger finger bought me a Reba 120mm fork off the ‘bay.

So, now I have the dilemma. I can afford the Cotic, but is it really £100 better than the Latitude, or £200 better than a Dialled Prince Albert ( apart from the colours, what were they thinking?!)

How about an Inbred, (apart from the weight it’s really cheap!). What do I do?

RobHilton
    Free Member

How about a 2nd hand Soul? The frame you want at a price you like?

anotherbike
    Free Member

I then started to look at the Cotic Soul in earnest

There is your answer.

trebord
    Free Member

I’m contemplating selling my Soul, especially if I get on with the new 29er build I have planned.
    What size you after? I have a black large 2009 frame in vgc..

Scapegoat

trebord – Member
    I’m contemplating selling my Soul, especially if I get on with the new 29er build I have planned.
    What size you after? I have a black large 2009 frame in vgc..

I’m 5’11” with a 32 inside leg, and like a chuckable bike, so I guess a medium would be best.

anotherbike
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 11″ and the medium is bang on for me with a 70mm stem :o)

cuberider
    Free Member

Bike Discount in Germany has Cube Elite titanium frames on sales a few weeks ago. Sadly all sold out now.

fathomer

anotherbike – Member
    I’m 5′ 11″ and the medium is bang on for me with a 70mm stem :o)
    POSTED 42 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I’m a tad over 5′ 11″ and a medium with 70mm stem is spot on for me.

rob2
    Free Member

Scapegoat – I have a prince Albert classic, a new soul and I’ve also had a Sanderson and an 853 inbred in the past. The soul is the most versatile in my opinion. The dialled is a superb bike too but doesn’t have a tapered headtube so a bit less future proof. Finish on the dialled and cotic is good, better than the inbred and Sanderson IMO .

timrobinson229
    Free Member

scapegoat- im 5’11 with the same inside leg as you and i have a large soul… would try both before buying. i came from a scandal that was too small for me and the change in comfort is incredible. good luck finding one, you won’t regret it…

leythervegas
    Free Member

A bit leftfield but the 456 carbon is on offer at a frankly stupid £299 at the moment, just got one myself

Northwind

Soul is still the best frame I’ve ridden. I sold mine because I wanted something more grr, though.

Carbon 456 ticks sort of similiar boxes, and costs less, but isn’t as well executed IMO. More flexible- will wear a longer fork, or head angle altering headsets, etc. And cheaper and lighter. But mine has never been more than competent, there’s not even a trace of brilliance in it. Still, a good solid performer.

fizzicist
    Free Member

So, now I have the dilemma. I can afford the Cotic, but is it really £100 better than the Latitude, or £200 better than a Dialled Prince Albert ( apart from the colours, what were they thinking?!)

Yes and yes.

Superb bike. Mine is on Magura Thors, 90mm stem, 690mm bars. I’m 5’10 with 32″inside leg and I’ve never ridden anything that feels so right. It just makes me smile every time I ride it.

Scapegoat – Member

I was addicted to Tic Tacs at the time 😆

If you prefer red, grey, black or light blue, there’s always the Prince Albert Classic.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Woah the orange Prince Albert is the perfect colour.

I still regret choosing the Kawasaki green (still looks amazing).

The PA is a stunning bike.

Scapegoat

mike-at-dialledbikes – Member

I was addicted to Tic Tacs at the time

If you prefer red, grey, black or light blue, there’s always the Prince Albert Classic.

Sorry Mike, I’m a black and red man myself! 😀

Northwind

Green Dialleds = huge success. The rest may as well not exist, why would you not buy a green one?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail recommendations’ is closed to new replies.