• This topic has 43 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • My new bike – Genesis Latitude
  • mdb
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg

the too much seatpost/ shudda got the next size up brigade will be along in a minute

i like it though

mdb
    Free Member

Rocketdog – LOL! Experimenting with saddle height and already dropped it a little. Hopefully they will go easy on me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is good.

But…..Valves and logos! FFS! 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Very nice. Wonder how long it’ll take Cotic to shove a 44mm headtube on the BFe and Soul.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Sweeeet!!! Nice bike. Bet you’re well chuffed. Enjoy 🙂

amplebrew

That looks really lovely.

Didn’t think the seatpost looked too high though, I always have to run a 400mm post on my Kona to get the frame size; otherwise the reach is too far.

mboy
    Free Member

V nice, although for some reason it looks strangely slacker than mine!

Might just be perspective, though that also looks like a mahoosive front tyre you’re running, and what’s the travel on the forks?

loum
    Free Member

Its a beauty

mdb
    Free Member

mboy – the forks are 120mm and the tyre is an Ardent 2.25 but it is a bit chunky i think as it has a very round profile.

mboy
    Free Member

Looks bigger than a 2.25 to be fair, I’d wondered if it was a 2.4. Must just be perspective then, cos got 120mm forks on mine too, and a 2.2″ tyres front and back.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Really nice!

I finished mine today:

Are you having any clearance issues with the fork? I needed an external Headset lower cup on mine.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Blimey! Genesis must be like buses on STW. I don’t see any for ages then all of a sudden, 2 come along at once! Welcome to the club boys 😀

ackie
    Free Member

Hold on a minute, it’s got child’s wheels!

stox
    Free Member

Verrrry nice!

brakes
    Free Member

how long it’ll take Cotic to shove a 44mm headtube on the BFe and Soul.

hope not, think it would look too fat on a Cotic

Dancake
    Free Member

Big Genesis fan here. My Altitude was the best frame I have had and I ruddy sold it

mdb
    Free Member

How do you mean fork clearance issues? Haven’t noticed anything so far.

mlucas666
    Free Member

How do you mean fork clearance issues? Haven’t noticed anything so far.

My fork crown/adjustment levers would smack into the down tube without the extra 10mm of an external cup. Must be a problem with my particular forks.

Ended up using a Nukeproof Warhead 44IESS headset to give me enough room.

I like the 44mm head tube, give lots of options for different steerer types.

dawson

Here’s mine that I got a few month’s ago – not quite as posh as yours, but I’m pleased with it!

headpotdog
    Free Member

Have you all upgraded parts already or did you buy the frames or their own?

I haven’t been blown away by the quality of the Genesis parts on my Altitude so I’ve changed bars & grips so far & would like to change the stem & seatpost at some point too. How about you?

dawson

Mine was a complete bike – the only change I have made is to put an Advantage tyre on the back in place of the supplied Mountain King.

The only other thing I have thought about is to put a longer stem on it, but I’m kind of getting used to the riding position now.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Frame only for me – combination of new parts and parts from my previous bike to build it.

MrFannay
    Free Member

How’s it ride FFS! 😳

I’m really interested in this or it’s burlier brother, how heavy is the frame alone? is the TT nice and long?

headpotdog
    Free Member

Felt there’s potential for improvement of the standard Genesis package I got. Wider bars certainly confirmed that for me, but I’m not sure where to try next. Might try some Minions DHF’s, maybe a Hope seatpost and stem if I get a bonus. Any thoughts??

[/url]
    Genesis by J, on Flickr[/img]

mboy
    Free Member

Big Genesis fan here. My Altitude was the best frame I have had and I ruddy sold it

Cough* Told you you’d regret it! *Cough

Have you all upgraded parts already or did you buy the frames or their own?

Got offered a frame on its own for a bargain price, this was at the back end of 2008 and was the 853 steel version. Built it up with a mixture of parts, mainly SLX/XT and a few random bits I had lying about. Slowly upgraded it over time, ended up with Hope/Stans wheels, new Rockshox Revs, carbon bars etc. eventually got offered a Ti version of the same in immaculate condition for a silly price second hand, so bought it, swapped most of the bits over (whilst going 1×9 at the same time as an expriment), then sold the 853 frame to Dancake above. The Ti one is still going strong, very possibly my favouritist hardtail ever! Got 120mm Reba Teams on it now, Spesh Roval Traverse wheels, 1×10 XT, Thomson stem/post, Sunline bars etc… It rocks! About the only thing I’d consider swapping for is a Brodie Holeshot Ti, but they’re 1200 quid and I don’t have anything like that right now… And even then I’d want a long test ride first…

faz083
    Free Member

that looks beautiful! what size frame out of interest? Might have said it already but tl;dr. Only thing I don’t like is the cranks – hate the bash like look on the slx cranks, looks ugly IMO.

mdb
    Free Member

I got the frame new. Forks from STW classifieds and everything else taken from my old Dialled PA. I will probably remove the bashguard or switch to one that’s a little less chunky.

Not weighed the frame but it feels a bit lighter than the PA. The frame finish is excellent. Need to ride it more to get a true opinion on how it rides, but on the few quick blasts it feels nimble and quick.

I am very happy with it so far.

matt_outandabout

Nice bike….Liking the red…:)

OCB
    Free Member

Ok, as we’re posting them … here’s a terrible picture of my Altitude.

I can’t really offer an opinion on the ride-quality tho’, as I’ve only ridden mine about half-a dozen times from new (frame), and only once in the last ~20 months … 😕 … but it does feel pretty nimble.

Going to 1 x 9 and putting on some decent tires might help, actually, perhaps just swapping the tires will do the trick – I’m liking that big front end up there ^. Where I can see this frame working brilliantly, is as a fully rigid single speed bike tho’.

(Hmm … takes long look at the Genesis in the corner).

HermanShake
    Free Member

Looks good and naturally a little faster due to the red frame!

Have you ridden it yet? Whassitlike?

Dancake
    Free Member

Cough* Told you you’d regret it! *Cough

you were so right. Have got a 456SS. Nice but just not the same…I sit on the 456, i sat IN the Genesis 🙂

kayak23

I heard there was a worldwide shortage of stem spacers….its becoming evident why… 😉
    Lovely bikes.

rondo101
    Free Member

I got the frame new. Forks from STW classifieds and everything else taken from my old Dialled PA. I will probably remove the bashguard or switch to one that’s a little less chunky.

Not weighed the frame but it feels a bit lighter than the PA. The frame finish is excellent. Need to ride it more to get a true opinion on how it rides, but on the few quick blasts it feels nimble and quick.

Am intending to replace my well-used & battered 520 Altitude with an 853 Prince Albert (when the frames are available in July). Will be interested to hear a comparison of the two.

PrinceJohn

I like the headtube badge very very much.

mdb
    Free Member

Ok so just got back from first proper ride on the new Latitude. It rocks!

On my local singletrack it felt quicker and more agile that the PA. On a couple of sections i had to rein it in as i felt like i was going a bit too quick. Climbs well and on the flats you can skip along at a quick pace too and feel very comfy.

It has even more of that lovely steel “twang” i have felt in other frames i have had, but with something extra which just feels right. On one decent it was like i was on a full susser. Obviously tyres etc have alot to do with that feeling also, but didn’t feel beaten-up at all.

I think some quicker tyres might be in order, plus need to experiment with stem height / length but all in all really pleased with it.

Comparing with a Dialled PA i would say this is a much more refined ride, probably suits riders who want to be quicker rather than burlier but saying that i think the Latitude could probably hold its own in most situations.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks like a nice do a bit of everything ht!

nickegg
    Free Member

Can i join the Genesis love-in?!

Here’s my 2012 Alpitude. Absolutely love these frames. Previously had a 2009 frame but sold that on and when i had to go back to one bike for everything i bought a new Alpitude frame. This is a 16.5 which i find perfect for abit of everything from pump tracks to long XC rides. Forks are spaced down to 130mm as i’m currently using hi-rise bars but will revert to 150mm once i sort out a lo-rise bar. Although i’m reluctant to cut the steerer as the XX44 headtube gives such a low stack height i’ll end up with a very short steerer should i sell the forks later on.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

@nickegg: Spaaaaaaceeeeers! Other than that, a proper nice bit of kit there.

mboy
    Free Member

On my local singletrack it felt quicker and more agile that the PA. On a couple of sections i had to rein it in as i felt like i was going a bit too quick. Climbs well and on the flats you can skip along at a quick pace too and feel very comfy.

The 853 Altitude/Latitude is very much a frame well designed to make the real benefits of having been built out of steel for definite. The PA is one tough beast, capable of a whole lot of abuse, the Genesis is by contrast a more subtle trail weapon, a bit more lively and a bit lighter (4.8lb plays about 5.5lb iirc). I really liked mine, the only thing I would have wished for it was it was even lighter… Which is OK, cos I’ve now got the Ti version!

It has even more of that lovely steel “twang” i have felt in other frames i have had, but with something extra which just feels right. On one decent it was like i was on a full susser. Obviously tyres etc have alot to do with that feeling also, but didn’t feel beaten-up at all.

It’s springier than many frames, though not as springy as most old school steel bikes, but then with 120mm travel forks and disc brakes, thank god for that! Your huge tyres will be playing a large part in the comfort stakes though, cos I can tell you if you swap them out for some 2″ Bonty Mud X’s, pumped up to 50psi or so, and it’s quite unforgiving I can assure you!

Would post up a pic of mine, but don’t have any decent/recent ones to hand. Only hald decent pic I’ve got of it was 12 months ago, with quite a different spec to what it is now. In fact, it’s been a real “Triggers Broom” bike for me since I got the original steel version back in 2008, as I think on the bike as it is now, only the headset spacers remain from the very original build! I’ll take a pic tomorrow if it’s sunny, and post it up…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘My new bike – Genesis Latitude’ is closed to new replies.