Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Hardtail fight- Slackline vs. PP Shan
  • sharkattack

Almost shed a tear the other day when the Bfe I’d been watching for ages disappeared from sale on payday. It was a perfectly sensible build, cheap and local. But I missed it so here I am weighing up alternatives.

Here are my two current favourites from Pinkbike. They’re both miles away from me and I’d like to haggle them down to a grand at the most.

I’ve never seen either of these frames in the flesh so opinions welcome from anyone who’s ridden them.

Slackline;

LINK HERE

Reminiscent of my beloved Blender but bigger and more versatile. Is this an old one? shouldn’t it have a massive headtube? Looks like a solid, sensible build.

PP Shan;

LINK HERE

That paintjob! Always wanted some of those Crossmax’s. Shonky looking seatpost.

Both have Shimano drivetrains which I prefer. Both have Lyrics which I’ve never used so not sure whether they’re to be desired or avoided.

Any advice or alternative suggestions welcome.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Slackline. That other thing looks banjoed

Northwind

That’s a horrendous pic of the Shan, I’ve not ridden one but they do look better in the metal.

Slackline is very good though, don’t think the geometry’s as good as the Ragley options- it’s not as instantly inspiring on the downs and doesn’t have the poise on the ups- but still, excellent. Better’n a bfe IMO and that’s coming from a fanboi.

But… That’s an XL Shan, the Slackline looks smaller- could be wrong on that, but I don’t see any size info and it doesn’t look like a big frame.

tragicallyhip
    Free Member

Just built a Slackline up for winter training but I’ve always wanted a steel hard tail again since I got rid of my Trailstar a few years ago anyway. Ridden it a few times now, bit harsh on rocky Welsh descents but I’m spoilt by plushness it seems, on the smoother trails of Brechfa and Cwm Rhaeadr the drive is incredible though, once tuned into it I think it will be significantly faster than my Covert (on those trails). Feels very much like my old Trailstar but better. From what info I could gather on it seemed the HT for me and I’m not disappointed.
    Hope that’s helpful.

ddmonkey

I had a Privee Shan in XL for a bit until I realised that I’m too old / crap to ride a hartail properly any more. Its was the business, looked amazing in the flesh, I can highly recommend one. Not light.

ddmonkey

I would say it depends on the type of riding you want to do by the way – the Shan more biased towards DH / trail riding, the Slackline possibly a bit more of an all-rounder?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Are those 170mm forks on that shan? Who owns it, Josh Bender? What a nugget!

patriotpro
    Free Member

That pic of the Shan does it no favours does it…I’d say it’s better value of the two though.

Karl33to
    Free Member

The Shan is definitely the nicer looker in the flesh – although I am a bit biased as I do have one.

It’s a really nice bike – can’t fault it. Built it up with Lyriks, big fat DH tyres, Reverb (essential), carbon bars, 1×10 with thick thin and clutch mech etc. Comes in somewhere around 31 lb ish.

Haven’t had it all that long, but have done a biggish ride over the Long Mynd, a few XC rides, couple of laps of the Monkey Trail and a few dozen runs down Stile Cop on it and it’s taken everything in its stride. Infact it’s so good you sometimes forget your on a hardtail and over send a jump.

ddmonkey

I have got a funny feeling that Shan frame is actually the one I sold!

Both frame and forks were in mint nick when I sold them.

scottfitz
    Free Member
    nick1962
    Free Member

In davidtaylforth’s world forks with over 120mm travel would be banned.

sharkattack

I know it’s not a good picture of the Shan but going by other peoples pics it looks like a stunning bike. Also prefer the wheels and cranks and Renthal bars to the Nukeproof stuff on the Stantion. I also just checked the Stanton site and realised that this is the one with the 27.2 seat tube that can’t accept a dropper which is off putting. I’m also 6’2″ which puts the Shan in the lead for fitment as well.

Outright DH ability is not the most important thing as I have a DH bike for those days. Still want to get my skids and wheelies on though! Much prefer a ‘fun’ frame than an XC exercise bike.

EDIT: Do those forks have adjustable travel? It does look a little raked out!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Outright DH ability is not the most important thing as I have a DH bike for those days. Still want to get my skids and wheelies on though! Much prefer a ‘fun’ frame than an XC exercise bike.

Yeh, if you’ve got a dh bike then I wouldnt bother with those two links you’ve posted. Get something that actually rides like a hardtail, rather than a full susser without the rear sus.

Charge Blender, Bfe (with shorter forks), Surge, Chameleon etc.

ddmonkey

Travel not adjustable no but don’t worry about the handling its built for big forks and has a nice long top tube so still climbs OK. Super short chainstays! I am 6’1″ and it fitted me a treat.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

In davidtaylforth’s world forks with over 120mm travel would be banned.

Hah! I know it winds some people up on here, but unless you’re smashing downhill courses, there’s not much point. All that travel is just a hinderance.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I think the shan will get you grinning more. It’ll look fine once the seat is down so don’t worry about pimpability.

OR

Get a 456 much cheaper and spend the rest on uplift days!

MMmmmmmmmm http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On-One-Ti-456-Evo-Frame-20-inch-Titanium-Mountain-Bike-Frame-/300997125058?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Fragrances_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item4614d3a3c2

EDIT: wtf? “UK_Health_Beauty_Fragrances_Women_s_Fragrances”

nick1962
    Free Member

davidtaylforth
    I almost bought some 150mm Z1s off you years ago.You’d spaced them down to 120mm 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

david if you think 150mm on a hardtail is wrong you need to get smashing one through the woods one day… you can seriously do stuff that 100mm can’t, the back end isn’t a solid gate, it’s a dancing jester that merrily skips around obeying the front end. My 456 with 160mm is a joy and I have never had to question her parentage.

sharkattack

Yeh, if you’ve got a dh bike then I wouldnt bother with those two links you’ve posted. Get something that actually rides like a hardtail, rather than a full susser without the rear sus.

Charge Blender, Bfe (with shorter forks), Surge, Chameleon etc.

I’ve got a Charge Blender. I rode it for years but the fact is it’s tiny, it’s heavy, it’s a pig to ride uphill. It’s been single speeded and relegated to BMX track duty where it’s perfect. Definitely want something bigger but without losing the radfactor.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I almost bought some 150mm Z1s off you years ago.You’d spaced them down to 120mm

😆

I think it was 110mm actually, custom spacers made from handlebar off cuts!

I did use some 150mm Z1’s on my cotic for an Alps trip and I couldnt wait to get home and swap em back.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve got a Charge Blender. I rode it for years but the fact is it’s tiny, it’s heavy, it’s a pig to ride uphill. It’s been single speeded and relegated to BMX track duty where it’s perfect. Definitely want something bigger but without losing the radfactor.

Yeh, didnt read the bit where you said you were 6’2″!

I used to have a medium, then a large bfe. The medium was too small for general riding but still too big for proper razzing. Got a large which was perfect for riding about and still rode fine on the jumps (im also 6’2″). Had it with Pike forks which would give you all the travel options you could want. 110mm seemed good to me.

VanHalen

Buy which ever one has the shortest chain stays. You can always run the forks shorter.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This was my Cotic, rode really well for all sorts

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Of the 2, the Shan wins by a country mile; the Slackline is way overpriced and has a worse spec; whatsmore, things like the fat headtube and dropper compatible (and included) 30.9 seatube mean the Shan is more attractive if you choose to sell it on again.

Shan Wins by K.O.

rp16v
    Free Member

I no the owner of the shan and it really is a stunning bit of kit and well looked after

sharkattack

I no the owner of the shan and it really is a stunning bit of kit and well looked after

Well it looks the part and they’re certainly popular on STW by the sounds of it.

I haven’t messaged him yet as I didn’t want to bother him until I’d done some research. It’s a bit more expensive than the ‘winter hack’ I was looking for and not sure when I’ll get the chance to do a 9 hour round trip in the van.

nickc

[/url] Shan by nickcummins1, on Flickr[/img]

Mine.

Good things: Blast to ride, angles seem just right, super stable on the downs, the whole “a HT that feels like a FS” is pretty much spot on, it’s very very smooth, is a better climber than it has any right to be, paint job is too cool for school,

Not so Good things: press fit BB seems an odd choice, but in reality hasn’t been an issue, the BB is low, so I’ve had a few pedal strikes, but used to it now, ermmmm, drop-outs are a bit tight…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Do you find the head tube logo lets in water?

rp16v
    Free Member

if it turns out u do a deal with him i can arange postage for u for about £15

Karl33to
    Free Member

I epoxy’d a strip of inner tube behind my head tube logo to stop water getting in. You can’t tell it’s there from the outside.

nickc

No the head tube doesn’t let water in ( or if it does its not enough to notice )

wwaswas

I’d get the Shan just because of the Gulf orange and blue paint job 🙂

Lester
    Free Member

Glasgow Dan
    thanks for the link to the ti evo on ebay
    i just bought it 🙂
    Lester

kudos100
    Free Member

Shan is based around a 150-160 fork and has longer chainstays than the slackline, so it loses straight away for me. Probably good dh, but everywhere else the slackline would be more fun.

Depends on what your priorities are. If its versatility go for the slackline, if dh get the shan.

milko9000
    Free Member

I say go for the Slackline. I’ve got and love the Shan, quite like not seeing too many of them around 🙂

It’s ace, I happily do day-long rides with climbs etc on it.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The Shan looks great. I’m saving my pennies for a Slackline 631 though.

johnhe

The Stanton is a great looking bike, as is the BFe. That other bike has to be one of the worst looking contraptions I’ve ever seen. Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder since several others have already posted about how lovely it looks, but it’s utterly gastly in my view.

Hope the OP hasn’t already bought one, in which case, it looks lovely!

sharkattack

So this just happened.

Slightly cheaper and half an hours drive away. Looks good but how small is a 16″ Slackline? Does it make up for it in length?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I think they are supposed to be built with a bit of 4x/dirt jump influence. If you do either then perhaps that will help you make your mind up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail fight- Slackline vs. PP Shan’ is closed to new replies.