Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hard Shell Bike Cases
  • Taz

Anyone use one for taking their full suss mountain bikes on planes?

Just trying to gauge if they will fit in the case. I am guessing it may require removing the forks?

Talking about a Nicolai FR. Medium frame.

On a related note. Any recommendations on make of hard case at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm sure there's a chap near Rotherham who makes them. Allen boxes I think. However, the weight of the box is about 11kg which means anything other than a light road bike will incur overweight charges. I looked into this recently and then decided that a cardboard bike box was the best way forward and it got all six of us there and back without any damage (well, a box each of course).

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah the carboard box is good, until your box is stuck on the tarmac on the baggage trolley in the rain. Have seen several naked bikes and parts with a few bits of cardboard hanging off them. I have a Dakine case and fit a full suss bike in and it comes in just under the allowance.

I've never been charged in all the years I've been taking my bike on planes. Planning and choosing the right airline helps.

Taz

What kind of bike do you have Chunky?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was worried about the rain which is why I waterproofed my box with parcel tape and reinforced the bottom with duct tape. I did pick the right airline (BA) but if I'd used a hard case at 11kg and my Turner at 36lbs, I'd have been stung hard on that.

I've got a Teepee bike bag that I've used a couple of times without incident but I'm not sure I'd be happier with that than a box.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I put mine in a carboard box in a bike bag… seemed the best of both worlds really (not too heavy but fairly well protected). Someone on here gave me the tip and a very useful guide to 'packing your bike' – I think it was Stoner, very good it was anyway.

izakimak
    Free Member

I used a hard shell bike case last year going to spain, no way it weighed 11kgs. Only problem i had was that it wouldn't fit through the x-ray machine at malaga airport and the security guard made me open it up so he could see inside.

Onzadog
    Free Member
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hard Shell Bike Cases’ is closed to new replies.