Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Hankley Common Closure!
  • suburbanreuben
    Free Member

It’s not like it’s the only place for dog walking in the area either, and it is really only accesable by car. There are far better dog walking/riding/cycling area locally too.
    The MOD estates people have been ranting and raving at those straying from the footpaths and bridleways for at least 20 years; it’s nothing new.

allthepies
    Free Member

I can understand the MOD stance, the dog egg count around that car park is huge. Last time I was riding there a woman was walking six large dogs (none on leads) and two had a go at me. She apologised and stated that “ohh, I didn’t they know they were like that, he’s not mine”. Riiiiiight, thanks for that.

hankley
    Free Member

The Surrey Commons Military Lands Byelaws that apply on Hankley are different from the Hampshire ones. As at present posted they allow open access for recreation provided that users do not interfere with military operations. They can close off an area if they want to but they have to enclose it or post notices.

They do not mention dogs or bicycles, unless a bicycle is a vehicle.

Hankley Byelaws posted on the noticeboards.

defence
    Free Member

The MOD has reluctantly decided to close the military harbour area on the Hankley Common Training Area to civilian vehicles. We are doing this to reduce disruption to military training, improve public safety and curb an increasing number of incidents of fly-tipping and dog fouling.

Military users have gradually moved their activities to smaller zones to ensure safety for themselves and members of the public. However, public use of the harbour area is now having a detrimental effect on the Armed Forces’ ability to train safely and effectively.

The MOD is not obliged to provide car parking in the area. However, given the public’s long-standing use of the military harbour, we aim to provide civilian parking at a more suitable site. A date for closure has not yet been agreed, but the harbour area will remain open to civilian vehicles until an alternative site has been chosen.

Despite rumours, there are no plans to restrict responsible public access to Hankley Common Training Area, but the MOD must manage its estate to ensure military training has precedence.

The MOD has established a structured consultation process on these proposals with parish councils in Thursley and Elstead, as well as Waverley Borough Council.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Tony.

allthepies
    Free Member

For the layman, can you explain what the military harbour area is ? Is it the carpark mentioned previously in this thread ?

defence
    Free Member

Yes, it is the car park referred to earlier. The MOD is not obliged to provide any public car parking, but zones are required to enable military vehicles to pull off the public road and allow troops to disembark.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Was up at Hankley today to try out the Houndown descents. There is something going on at the top with fencing and lighting, portakabins and military vehicles.. Could be a film or is this where the car park will be?

I hope its not the latter as it right at the top of the quite descents that are rarely ridden.

ATP – have you tried this area yet? I took the route off the nose at the RH corner of the flat area today. Lots of snow made it a bit hairy, then my seat post snapped half way down 🙁 If only that area was 3-4 times higher it would be great!!

hankley
    Free Member

teamhurtmore

The enclosure at the top of the Houndown Ridge is an Army Command Post. It has a civilian security guard.

Houndown is one of the car park options offered to us to replace the DZ car park but it would not be suitable for horseriders or any but the most active to access Hankley Common.

hankley
    Free Member

Hankley Common Public Meeting
    PATH Public Meeting Friday Feb 10th
    A very well attended meeting was held at the Elstead United Reformed Church on Friday evening Feb 10th. 96 people came to hear about the proposed closure of the central car park on Hankley Common.
    Presentations were given on the general situation, the laws that affect access to the Common and the MoD plans. This was followed by a question and answer session. 99% of the attendees gave their approval to the work of the Action Group.

For more details go to: http://www.elstead.info/weblog

You can ensure that you opinion on this is taken into account by completing our on-line survey at: http://www.elstead.info/survey

There is also a petition at: http://www.elstead.info/petitions

hankley
    Free Member

The MoD have informed the PATH action group that the number of military training man days in 2011 was 241,702. This means that on average 660 soldiers were on the Common on every day of the year. If they were working two 12 hour shifts then there would be 330 at any time. Assuming that the training was not quite as regular as that then the numbers would vary between zero and perhaps a full battalion of up to 1,200 men, with a fleet of lorries to carry them. Can anybody confirm these figures?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hankley – thanks for the updates.

Re the last post (and considering the time my family/friends spend on the Common) I can only say that they must be very well camouflaged and silent!!!

The Army command post has new temporary fencing and portakabins. There were military and film vehicles there. Plus there is a new construction in the middle of the common – target practice/film set or both? If, and I say if deliberately, they are hiring out the common for films then doesn’t stack up with usage figures.

A car par on Houndsdown would require people to be able to descend and ascent relatively steep slopes (plus would encourage too many cyclists on the hidden trails :evil:)

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Nice little route through Houndown, shame if it’s now out of bounds? There been a lot more Army activity on Hankley, but not by the numbers quoted, or as TeamHurtmore said, very well camouflaged!

hankley
    Free Member

Houndown car park unlikely because of access problems to Hankley Common. Most likely is a car park at the Woolfords Lane/Houndown Lane crossroads with Truxford Lane.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In which case, if the size is Ok, wouldn’t that be a good compromise? Flat paths for those who want that and easy access to hills for others. Might make the h,down trails a bit more well known though 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

ATP – have you tried this area yet?

Yes I have, it’s a bit “straight up and straight down” isn’t it 🙂 I managed to climb up in granny and saw all the portacabins etc at the top. Had a little nose around and then descended at the Eastern end by the Hankley access road.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The bit right on the nose is less straight than the middle and Northern end. But all far too short sadly, but worth a blast if passing!! Plus the bit straight off the top by the tree jump looks fun. I was going to do that one 2nd after the nose route, but my seat post snapped 👿

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Hankley Common Closure!’ is closed to new replies.