Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Handjob – how tough and what fork?
  • kezzab
    Free Member

Anyone ride one? How strong are they? Will they take repeated lakes abuse? I'd heard they were a bit thin and weedy.

And will they happily take a 130mm fork? I'm 12 stone if that's relevant!
    Ta.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I'm 15st and ride a Handjob with 130mm Revs.

The tube walls are thinner than some, but I've not managed to break the current one, and I do chuck it about.

Broke the last one, but that was the older model with the thinner downtube – the new one is beefed up a bit, and gussetted more at the headtube junction.

beerbelly
    Free Member

I've broke two in the last year great frame but not that strong

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've hand mine for 10 months, ideal with U-turn Revs, no damage to report

gunners
    Free Member

run mine with fox talas 140s- great trail bike , bit skinny on chainstay tubes but i had a bail in a rock garden that blackened me from knees to shoulders (lierally, one big friggin bruise) and bike was fine, not a scratch or a dink. Tough mate, made for the North Shore so there you have it

v10
    Free Member

Latest ones ive had through are now Canadian Built (well it says on the box!) Tange Prestige tubing with over lacquered graphics. Huge improvement in the finish over the old Columbus one.

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

I've had mine since 2006 – the newest model – with 130mm vanilla forks. I'm the best part of 14 stone, and had no problems. Great bike, love it, get one.

Radioman

Not that thin, certainly not weedy! Im 82kgs. Mine has Pikes & DH bars. Its great all rond trail bike & jumps well. Obviously not built for big jumps to flat, but hard trail riding small drops and doubles etc are fine on it. Its strong chromo steel & gusseted !!

chakaping
    Free Member

I do like my Handjob, but I wouldn't choose it for "Lakes abuse".

Was riding it tonight, and it's essentially a light steel XC frame that can take a fork up to 130mm.

If that's what you want then great, but I've done a couple of Lakes rides on it and it's definitely a bike that you have to pick your lines on – even if it's got good geometry for the long, shallow rocky descents I was doing.

When you get up to speed over the rocks you do get the feeling that the rear is trying to overtake the front a bit sometimes (ie. frame flex).

chakaping
    Free Member

Hey Radioman, we've met in the woods and compared Handjobs a couple of times I think.

You were recovering from an injury last time I bumped into you, hope you're mended now!

samuri
    Free Member

I love mine. 2006/7 model I think, Recons up to 130mm, rides great. Not broken it yet, I weigh about 13 stone at the moment although I've lost a lot of weight recently and was riding around on it at about 14.5 stone.

Seems reasonably tough.

kempfab
    Free Member

LOL@-

"we've met in the woods and compared Handjobs a couple of times"

qwerty
    Free Member

mines got pikes on, was great for a week in lakes, but if i lived there i'd get an orange 5!

Radioman

Hi Chakaping.. i'm sure no pun intended!! I think we met in Epping or was it Broxbourne …anyway. I always seem to have some injury.. Last one was turned ankle & that was from just walking out the door!! But none have kept me off the bike.. Spent a great 3hrs "whizzing" round Swinley last sunday on the Cove HJ. Its great for that area..

juan
    Free Member

that is a though question mine seems to get some abuse on a regular basis, but they are labelled as XC so you should know better than jump with htem. I own one of the first generation of HJ so it is meant to be "disposable". However, no problem to jump with it. But I am a race wippet so not that heavy.
    Good frame and great geometry, you will not be disapointed

CountZero

I've got an older 100mm Handjob frame, and I would put it down as a tough XC frame. I actually saw one in my LBS that had been slammed into a tree, and literally folded in two! The owner replaced it with a Stiffee. Perhaps the longer travel ones are beefier, I've not looked closely at one to say for sure.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Handjob – how tough and what fork?’ is closed to new replies.