Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Oily hands
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

So I’ve spent the last couple of days working on some real old bikes that haven’t seen a clean in what appears to be decades.

What does everyone use to get good clean hands other than soap? the oily mechanic hands look is annoying me.

Tested so far a has been a mixture of soap, fairy liquid and turps (had it laying around) with mixed results…

Stoner
    Free Member

Swarfega.

MTFU in a pot.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Swarfega

Orange ‘flavour’ in a hand pump

grumm
    Free Member

Swarfega does the trick nicely. Just got some a month or two ago and can’t believe I didn’t get it sooner.

stealthcat

Fairy Liquid and granulated sugar. Cheap version of swarfega, but does the job just as well, with the advantage that the sugar dissolves in warm water, so cleaning the sink doesn’t take as long. Just try not to leave oily fingerprints all over the bag of sugar…

Or Crabtree & Evelyn Gardener’s Hand Scrub if you’re posh. Same effect but leaves bits of grit all over the sink.

Stoner
    Free Member

Cheap and less effective version of swarfega

Original green swarfega does its job extremely well without abrasive (the orange one has grit in it though). And it isnt remotely like fairy liquid.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

As stealthcat, granulated sugar or salt will do the job nicely.

miketually
    Free Member

My commuter gets really manky over the winter, with a nice mix of oil, road grime and ‘dust’ off the brake pads. I found sugar and washing up liquid to be quite effective.

scruzer
    Free Member

washing up liquid with a small hand of sugar to work it into your skin.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Fairy Liquid and granulated sugar.

Ditto. Works brilliantly, and much more environmentally friendly than Swarfega (and shitloads cheaper too).

Make up a mixture before mechanicking, to prevent oily sugar jar.

miketually
    Free Member

lol – apparently sugar and washing up liquid makes you all post at once 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Will artificial sweetener work?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks all…

[goes off to raid the baking cupboard]

emac65
    Free Member

Fairy liquid & sand works far better than with sugar tbh…..
    For a real MTFU hand cleaner,use fairly liquid & washing powder.Probably not the best choice if you have “girly-hands”….

Stoner
    Free Member

FFS, if you want to MTFU properly why not just use an angle grinder eh?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rub clean oil in wipe off then wash with washing up liquid if you havent got any swarfega

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Dip in petrol, light.

colande
    Free Member

start with some normal cooking oil,
    this thins it out,
    then use washing up liquid and hot water.

i’ve recently started using wd40 to start with and then swarfega this seems to work aswell,

but you’ll never get it out of your nails,

ourmaninthenorth

Spray GT85. Inhale.

z1ppy

you could just use some latex nitrile gloves when working on your bike, save washing you hands 20 times a day when you remeber something else you need from the house.

Otherwise yes “Fairy Liquid and granulated sugar. Cheap and effective version of swarfega”

emac65
    Free Member

but you’ll never get it out of your nails,

Nailbrush…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a pot of orange stuff from Halfords that was not criminally expensive and claims to be biodegradable. But I quite like having mechanic hands at the weekend.

RealMan
    Free Member

?????

Just dab a bit of white spirit on your hands, rub. It all comes off. And as most people use white spirit to clean their bikes, you probably have some handy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Washing powder does a good job if my hands are really greasy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

brake cleaner does a good job … as does fenwicks…as does tf2 …

swarfega does the job too mind once i procured a large tub tht didnt run out all the time (was using 500gram tubs)

househusband

I’ve always been shocked at just how effective baby wipes are – always keep them in the car, garage, etc.

fingerbike
    Free Member

next time:

Northwind

The orange swarfega will shift anything, realistically bike muck tends not to be too horrible mind (apart from neglected chains, ew) so it’s slight overkill. The stuff they sell in Morrisons, “The Really Good Stuff”, also works well and it’s dirt cheap (it’s a slight abrasive, and lots of citrus to dissolve the oil)

Fairy liquid and sugar does work, but not anything like as well.

MtbCol
    Free Member

I’ve always been shocked at just how effective baby wipes are – always keep them in the car, garage, etc.

I’ll second the baby wipe option.
    Brilliant at cleaning hands – if they can get clagged on baby poop off skin, then they’ll shift anything!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Oily hands’ is closed to new replies.