Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Hands up who's preordered a Nukeproof Mega frame!
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Let’s get all excited and list which shop, what fork being specced and any special bits of interest and also where it’s first ‘proper’ ride is going to be!

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ll kick off:
    JE James
    Lyric U-turn 160-115 1.5 steerer
    All my groupset from my old 575 including Hope Pro2, Stan’s Crest rims, Syncros Point’n’Chute 2.5 tyres, New X-7 2×10 drivetrain with SLX 22/36.
    First proper ride probably back side of Jacob’s Ladder in Edale.

RagTi
    Free Member

Is there any anticipated delivery date on these frames as yet ?, read somewhere about loads of delays ?

Deveron53
    Free Member

Importers are promising first week of June, I’ll be badgering them for a DEFINITE shipping to store date.

thv3
    Free Member

Waiting until they get a bit closer but pretty much decided on one now tbh. Also got most of the kit, planning on-

Silver mega in medium
    Fox 36 vans
    CCDB
    Hope tech v2’s
    Hope sp pro 2’s running flow rims.

Will hopefully be ordered from I-cycles in the not to distant future 😀

julians
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear what they all weigh when you’ve got them built up.

I thinking what to replace my 2005 enduro with in a year or so, and these look pretty good for the money, but I want it a bit lighter.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I think claimed frame weight is about the same as my 575. I got that down to just over 26lb with some Conti Supersonics (awful tyres!). I put the Syncros tyres back on, adding 1.5 lbs in the process and some other heavier duty bars, stem etc. I’m thinking around 29-30lb with Lyrik. If it’s slightly heavier I don’t mind.

mountainman123
    Free Member

I ordered one untill i got fed up of waiting, Mid June or something like that now, hell 2012 bikes will be out shortly after that, i canceled mine 5 weeks ago.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m sorely tempted, but off to the alps in august and have nasty feeling it would not be here in time.

RagTi
    Free Member

I was going to order a 2011 Ragley last week, dispite reassurances this would be the last of the numerous delays, found out they have been further delayed until June… is there a link between Rags and NP here ???. Regretably had to spend my £400 notes elsewhere.

Anyway dont want to put this thread on a downer as I love the Rag / NP brands, and hope for all concerned that they turn up sharpish and will surely be worth the wait. Hate to think though how much business has been lost through these delays, I know of 2 others who have purchased other brands as they cant stomach the number of failed promises and the fact they cant wait until half way through the season for their new steeds.

matthias247
    Free Member

I’m very interested in one, however won’t order till they are finally available. Too bad it has been delayed so long.
    Also still undecided on the size.

brant
    Free Member

I was going to order a 2011 Ragley last week, dispite reassurances this would be the last of the numerous delays, found out they have been further delayed until June… is there a link between Rags and NP here ???

Different factory, and different team handling each project. Entirely unrelated in that way.

Mugboo

The longer they are in coming the less the temptation for me…

mamadirt
    Free Member

Nice article on Pagey’s prototype in the new Dirt mag. Looks good but I’m a bit worried about that seat angle – my old MC Battery was similar – climbed fine despite its really hefty weight but felt as though I was falling over the front 😕 .

That said . . . raw frame with white forks and red/white kit . . . mmmmmm 😛

mountainman123
    Free Member

I canceled my Rag frame back end of Feb after all the delays, then i thought i quit liked the NP Mega frame, but quickly turned against that one when that was too delayed, from now ill be staying away from anything to do with the Rag/NP link.
    Was told the Ragley May arrival was definatly going to be it for the troof frames and the Bluepigs would be here after that, Looked on Hotlines website a few days ago and noticed the troof frames wont be here till June now, but the pigs will be here mid May!!! total ballsup if you ask me IMHO.
    Should do what all successfull companies do and introduce there bikes early, its alright saying our 2011 bikes will be available in 2011 “how novel is that” fair do’s but now look what has happened, when your 2011 models come out other companies will be launching there 2012 bikes! 😆

Deveron53
    Free Member

Well, I still have my 2007 575 which I will ride up until then, I have Hotlines on the, er, ‘hotline’, if they put delivery back any further they risk all the dealers cancelling their pre-orders. They have been accepting dealer orders from the first batch so I’m pretty confident they’ll arrive in time, Hotlines do not want a load of very pi55ed off bike shops as they have too much at stake!

GW
    Free Member

Why you all so excited about ordering frames you’ve never ridden? 😕

or have you?

Joe

Yeh, I don’t get it either.

legend
    Free Member

same reason people will post “OMGZ! this r teh bezt frame EVAR!” after one ride around the car park when it does arrive

GW
    Free Member

Freecaster working for you?

No. me, neither 🙁

legend
    Free Member

yup, its gone tits

mamadirt
    Free Member

GW – Member

Why you all so excited about ordering frames you’ve never ridden?

You try getting a test ride on a small frame, regardless of manufacturer . . . yeh, I know the Nukeproofs are not available yet.

Hey, ordering is always exciting 😛

GW
    Free Member

I mainly ride smalls. test rode a small before buying all mine. bigger problem is finding a small sprung for a 14st guy.

Northwind

RagTi – Member

Anyway dont want to put this thread on a downer as I love the Rag / NP brands, and hope for all concerned that they turn up sharpish and will surely be worth the wait. Hate to think though how much business has been lost through these delays,

Probably far less than has been gained through internet hysteria, don’t worry about it.

Deveron53
    Free Member

‘I don’t mean to be negative but…’ Classic thread hijack!
    All these negative waves man!

RagTi
    Free Member

I Know what you mean…but a lot of the above has some relevence. Pre-ordering is fine if you have a date to work to, but these frames have been delayed more than the 6:52 to kings Cross!

All the bollox about not trying a bike before is….bollox, understndably we all dont want to take the no brain option (Orange 5) and have to take the risk on purchading something a little more left wing which understandably has far less opportunity for “demo”.

These are frames only, and for 1k!, is worth the risk, anyway it is pretty much more the choice of finishing kit that determines the ride so tbh no risk at all.

legend
    Free Member

or (alternatively) wait until they’re out, try one, then decide whether to order or not – zero risk unless you absolutely have to have a frame by an unspecified date

RagTi
    Free Member

Good idea, Ill drive 80 miles and test a bike too small for me ?. Last week my mate couldnt even find a 20″ Orange 5 to demo, found a couple to sit on but thats about it.

I have never demod a bike in 20 years, expert reviews and simple geometry is all I ever needed

ART

what mamaD said, so if anyone does ever get their hands on a small mega and fancies loaning it out for test rides.. 😉

mountainman123
    Free Member

RagTi… couldnt agree more. if all the frame figures and measurements add up then why do you HAVE to try a demo bike!? What the hell is a ride around a carpark going to tell you?
    If the figures are what you are looking for the final odd tweek can de done with stems/bars/seatpost and so on.
    If companies dont offer a test ride does that mean no one buys them?
    Although i dont think anyone will be buying any Ragley or nukeproof frame the way they are carrying on as they will NEVER arrive so it doesnt really matter.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Be interesting to see a 7.5lb frame turned into a sub 30lb bike…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I’ve seen Mojo HD builds that claim to be under 28 lbs, and the Mega frame is a shade over a pound heavier, so would expect to see 30 lbs builds.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Many ‘Claim’

Northwind

RHSno2 – Member

Be interesting to see a 7.5lb frame turned into a sub 30lb bike…

Not that hard tbh, not sure why you’d think it is? My Hemlock frame’s a little lighter but it’s got coil lyriks in and I can still build it under 30lbs without anything too exotic. So a less lardy fork and you’re sorted.

(disclaimer- as weighed on a cheapo fishing scale)

GW
    Free Member

it wouldn’t even be that difficult to build a DH bike under 30lb these days if you really wanted to but any full sus bike under 30lb just wouldn’t last me, my hardtails heavier than that (4.5lb frame with as light a build as practical).

RHSno2
    Free Member

it wouldn’t even be that difficult to build a DH bike under 30lb these days

Lay out the facts on paper then.

and anyone’s 7.5lb framed bike too.

I know how much my bike weighs and its a light (in class) 160mm frame.

RagTi
    Free Member

I totaly agree, building one of these up sub 30lb would be a huge ask, my old Ragley TI hardtail had some expensive kit on it, and it was a realistic 26lb. My current blinged to the max! Ellsworth epithany comes in at a dead 27.8lb with a full on XC finishing kit, wheras my mates stunning AM upgraded Cube Fritz is a perfect 33.5lb

Spend 4k and you might ? get somewhere near, but anyway, who the hell in their right mind would buy an all out AM frame and then dress it in silk ??? :?:. AM bikes surely warrant AM kit, and that normaly comes with a few value added pounds

Deveron53
    Free Member

My 575 was built up with ‘gossamer’ kit and weighed a shade over 26lb. I got worried about breakages so added some stronger and heavier components. Still just under 29lbs. I run Stan’s Crests tubeless with 2.5 tyres, Revelations, SLX cranks, nothing really weight weenie.

On the Mega arrival front, I have assurances that the delivery dates are firm and I’ll be throwing my leg over a ‘test’ bike a week on Friday. My camera will be working hard, I’ll post still and moving pics when I get them!

RagTi
    Free Member

Hi Deveron
    My mate is still deliberating over a Mega, regretably he was told the April(?) delivery dates were “rock solid”, never mind firm. Also the demo bikes have been around for months now. For your sake I really hope they turn up in June.

ps: who have you ordered it from and who is telling you the lastest date is a firm one , CRC ?, just so I can let him know.

Northwind

RHSno2 – Member

Lay out the facts on paper then.

and anyone’s 7.5lb framed bike too.

OK, this is 30.1 lbs. Cotic Hemlock (somewhere between 6.5 and 7lbs with the latest rear end), coil u-turn Lyriks, easton carbon dh bars, pro FRS stem, XTR cranks, double chainrings with a E13 bashring and Blackspire Stinger, X9 shifters and rear mech (medium), SLX double front shifter, SLX cassette, cheap chain, Formula Oro brakes (203mm front, 160mm rear) Roval Traversee wheels, Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front tyre, Nobby Nic 2.25 Evo rear, Charge Knife saddle, and the clincher- gravity dropper seatpost.

So fit a standard seatpost or a 150mm Revelation or even a Float 36 and you’re sub 30lbs with weight to spare. No unobtanium, plenty of places you could lose weight in there. Strong like ox. The wheels are as light as you’re likely to put on a Mega but a couple of hundred more grams gets you Crossmax SX or similiar.

Next?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Hands up who's preordered a Nukeproof Mega frame!’ is closed to new replies.