Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Handlebar mount for HTC – opinions please! :)
  • strangertothelight
    Free Member

I was looking into geting some sort of secure mount to attach my phone (HTC Desire) to my handlebars, so I can record my cycle routes, use it as an over-the-top speedo, etc.

I have come across a couple, and just wanted to see what you all thought.

My main concern is that it won’t really be man enough for mountain biking. Road biking, probably not a problem, but I don’t want to go on a trail and it drops off and breaks at the slightest hint of rugged terrain.

Obviously I wouldn’t use it for and DH stuff or anything though…

waterproof one on ebay

non-waterproof ebay one

another one

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi

I have the waterproof one. It is pretty good, it will take the Desire as it is. It is big enough to fit the Desire in with a gel case or an extended battery. The handlebar clamp is okay but I have modded it and cable tied it to my stem.

The phone is a bit vunerable but only from a big stack.

Regards

strangertothelight
    Free Member

Thanks very much! Would you say that it is worth the £20?
    It’s a good incentive to not cock-up your landings then I guess 😉

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hmmmm, probably. There isn’t anything else I could find that is as good. Worth it based on the value of the phone.

Regards

markgraylish
    Free Member

My main concern is that it won’t really be man enough for mountain biking. Road biking, probably not a problem, but I don’t want to go on a trail and it drops off and breaks at the slightest hint of rugged terrain.

Rather you than me! Looking at all those mounts, none appear to offer any sort of damping from vibration other than the rubber ‘grip’ wrap around the handlebars. I wouldn’t trust that on anything other than billiard table smooth roads.

Options 2 & 3 don’t appear to be very secure from the photos either…but let me know how you get on with them!

strangertothelight
    Free Member

yeah, I did wonder about what the jolts would do to the phone. I guess it might be safest to just not risk it, or just keep the phone in my pocket as I have been until now. I will look into it a bit more and see what I can find. Maybe it will be a little DIY project for my spare moments 🙂

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

There is actually a bit of in build damping with this case. The case is basically made of material with a plastic connector for the bar mount sewn into it. This allows the case a bit of movement.

I have still to fit a mount to my MTB but have used it on my commuter/cross bike. This has included some pretty rough singletrack on the cross bike and the phone has been fine. I would argue that it is probably better protected on the MTB as it has suspension. Unless you bottom out your suspension alot then it should be okay.

Regards

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Ultimate would have to be an Otterbox with a RAM mount.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Will post some pics later of how I have mounted the case on the bike (Going to finally get round to mounting it on the MTB later to day so can show both).

Regards

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Here are some photos of the modded handlebar mount on the stem.

I originally used the whole mount just by drilling some holes in it and mounting it with cable ties like this.

However, it does make the phone sit a bit high. So I took the actual mount out of the bracket and fitted it to the MTB like this.

and

When fitted it looks like this.

To mod it all you need to do is file a concave shape on the bottom so that it sits on the stem better and then drill slots in the sides for the cable ties.

Job done.

Regards

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar mount for HTC – opinions please! :)’ is closed to new replies.