Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hamsterley Forest, worth a go?
  • Dobbo

Wondering about going to Hamsterley Forest for some XC action with some mates in a few weeks. Just wondered if it was worth going there? Whats it like in the winter, and are the trails easy to follow, some reports I’ve seen say it’s a bit of a nightmare to navigate as the waymarks are bad. Is it a good day out?

Yes or No!

Cheers.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Hamsterley has some great stuff but all the best bits are not way marked. The new stuff like section 13 and transmission are excellent but have been cut up by the harsh winter. If its been raining for any period of time probably best avoided as well. If you can get a local to show you around then its a great place to ride. Maybe try the trailblazers.

moose2008
    Free Member

I find the red mind numbing, but the black I really like. I usually do a few laps of the black and leave the red well alone. Theres some nice technical climbing and some decent flowing decents. It can be slippery in the wet and has a few roots etc. but all adds to the technbical challenge. I like it, it depends how far you are travelling though, I travel 20 odd miles and think it’s worth it for a change. I usually ride it in the dark but that shouldn’t make any difference.

Inbred456
    Free Member

If you head out over the moors at Hamsterley there is some superb riding around Doctors Gate and Pikeston Fell. Go on the trailblazers site and you will find plenty of stuff in the area.

martymac

i like it, used to live near there.
    not been in 10 years tho . . .

neninja
    Free Member

For most of the year tend to go at least once a fortnight but hadn’t been since November.

Went today and thought it was holding up really well given the ice and snow. Some snow at higher points but riding well.

Dobbo

Hmmmm thanks for the info, probably give it a go and see what the score is, try sniff out the Black Route looks the way to go. It’ll be a midweek so wont get a try for a local guide! Bookmarked the Trailblazers site.

Cheers

Dobbo

Nice one neninja, the 1st map link and write up are well handy.

May give the recommended route in the write up a go as it does seem like it can be a bit of a mixed bag!

neninja
    Free Member

What he suggests is a pretty good route.

A lot of the red route is long fire road climbs that lead onto more fire road.
    The link above is a good way to ride Hamsterley. Ride the black and Section 13 and link it with the 121 race route which includes some unmarked stuff and the new red section called Transmission.

There’s not too much fire road then and is just to gain height to fun descents.

DeeJay
    Free Member

It’ll be a midweek so wont get a try for a local guide!

Dobbo – I’m often off midweek and usually need very little encouragement to go for a ride – can’t promise to be a much of a guide but I know some bits – email in profile if you fancy. 🙂

kevj
    Free Member

If you want a bit more XC type riding on the moors and some through Hamsters, the Doctors Gate route is a good ride and will keep you out of the muddy bits at the bottom. I’ve got a link for the route somewhere, I’ll dig it out…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hamsterley Forest, worth a go?’ is closed to new replies.