Viewing 22 posts - 1,801 through 1,822 (of 1,822 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A sad post to add to this thread…

Does anyone know an approx 50-60 year old slim gent that would have been riding a blue/white hybrid near Brockbridge yesterday, on the B2150 near Station Rd and Watton Lane, right next to the Meon Valley Trail?

Chap has been found dead and a photo on the Echo article shows a photo of the bike issued by police, to try and identify him. 🙁
    https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18643038.police-need-help-identify-cyclist-died-droxford/

There’s no real details yet, but someone has been charged with attempted murder, after hitting a cycling couple on Waterloo Rd in Shirley and the bloke is apparently in a life threatening condition.
    https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18641495.hampshire-police-investigate-crash-waterloo-road-southampton/

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Oh dear, another sad post…

Still no ID for that cyclist found dead on the B2150 and the chap hit on Waterloo Rd died. 🙁

But my main reason for posting was concern for a missing cyclist, Martin Turner, from the Totton area. He left home at ~0800 on Sat 15th August, thought to be going on a ~2 hour ride, but he hasn’t returned home and his mobile goes straight to answer phone.

Initially they thought he was going to be riding the gravel tracks in the New Forest, but he’s now been seen on yesterday’s CCTV crossing to Studland from Sandbanks.

UPDATE……Martin was spotted on CCTV going through the toll booth studland side of the sandbanks ferry at 11:30 am…

Posted by Café Velo on Saturday, August 15, 2020

DezB
    Free Member

Ok just been out on a recce of the selborne zig zags. They look hilarious fun, is there the makings of a fun ride that includes them? I’ll probably sit down with os maps in a bit but if people are already aware of one

@Lummox
    – there most certainly is. I have it on tracklogs, so could do you a gpx file? or post an image. Let me know.
    It’s a figure-of-8 loop with the zig zags at the end (they’re not on the official route, of course) – the lower part of the 8 has a ridiculous chalky descent, only to be attempted in the dry! Its lethal when even slightly damp. My son and I actually did it the wrong way last time and couldn’t even walk up it. Would’ve been a amusing sight, us trying to get the bikes up!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Well the **** news keeps on coming, Martin has been found dead, RIP.

Lummox

Dez that would be awesome, gpx would be great. I’m a bit new to gpx and gps but I think I can make that work. Point taken about the chalky hill.

also crap news about Martin, was out riding in the area he was presumed to be at the same time. Met lots of individual riders and wondered if I’d passed him but the description didn’t match, was hoping for a happy outcome.

cinnamon_girl

Some very sad events recently, unusual to have such a number involving bikes in a short space of time. Be careful all.

Opened goat’s link to the Echo showing a pic of the bike in Droxford, my first adult bike was the ladies version of that Raleigh Pioneer and in the same colourway. That was in the 90’s.

white101

Sad news to hear another rider has completed their final mile. RIP

I’m not a local but have been working out of Southampton area last couple of days and enjoyed a ride north out to Romsey and looping back in via Totton. Tonight I had a good ride down to the coast at Calshot and back up to Nursling.

flybywire
    Free Member

Hey..moving to Andover – any gravel,lanes,tracks riding routes suggestions. Thanks! Can’t wait for group riding again. Mtb or gravel bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hey..moving to Andover

My condolences…

😉

There’s lots of fun to be had around the area though. Gravel is excellent, linking lanes, farm tracks, bridleways etc. Salisbury Plain not a million miles away for the wide open spaces. Tidworth for some gnar if that’s your bag. Not sure what the LBS situation is these days, I prefer to use Stonehenge in Salisbury. Great folk, great shop. I know there’s a road scene there, Andover Wheelers, but not aware of any formal mtb set up. BMX track is good for a giggle. The Plantations? Just say no, kids…

Non bike local tips;
    Stockbridge. Lovely places for lunch/coffee, and the best butcher in the world.
    Andover Garden Machinery. Top people for any power tool requirements.
    Pubs? Well, the Greyhound in Stockbridge is epic. Watership Down in Freefolk equally so. Hatchet in Lower Chute (good riding country) has always been a good spot.
    Beer? Guy at Penton Park Brewery is your man. Top bloke, ace beer.

benp1

Bumping this excellent thread

I’ve just moved down to the hampshire / West Sussex border, looking forward to doing some exploring!

AngusWells

Ben, if it’s XC type riding and you don’t restrict yourself to SDW/QECP there are dozens of bridleways and byways in the area and mainly quiet backroads to link them. Assuming you are to the southern end, draw a box between the Meon Valley trail to the west and a Midhurst to Chichester line to the east and then fill in all the bridleways and byways in-between. Boundless possibilities.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just a heads up for any roadies planning to ride in the Exton to Butser Hill area, several popular routes are either closed already or close tomorrow including…

White Way
    Hyden Farm Lane (Bat n Ball pub climb)
    Old Winchester Hill summit to Teglease crossroads

https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/roadmaintenance/plannedmaintenance for map

cobrakai

Thanks for the heads up. Not a roadie per se but do use those roads to link stuff up.

apedoctor
    Free Member

How you getting on? I live right on the border in Rowlands Castle, have plenty of routes i can send you if interested.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I doubt anyone will reply before I decide where to go and what bike to use, while still feeling pretty drained from my Zwift sub60 Alpe Du Zwift yesterday afternoon, but this post will keep this thread open…

Earlier I finally fitted the Merlin Chosen/Volar 29″ rear wheel to my commuter that arrived last week, along with a new 12/36 cassette and new KMC X9 chain after a quick clean of the jockey wheels and chainrings.
    It seems to be running fine, but part of me wonders if I should take it on a 2-3 hour test ride, instead of heading out on the road bike.

Would it be madness to ride the Meon Valley Trail, that I’ve not ridden since Jun/Dec ’17, on a bank hol Monday?

benp1

What’s the worst that could happen?

Lummox

Just reviving an old but goody.

For riders local to Hut wood north of southampton there’s now an enthusiastic chap from forestry England who is enforcing a no entry for anyone rule there.

In the long painful conversation it was revealed that the woods is now only for nature, the landowner and logging 🤣 not sure how they all co exist.

He also lumped me in with all night ravers and motor cross bikes despite being on the fire road on a bike, I’m not denying I’d been off piste.

I would say there’s not much point trying to have a civil conversation as at several points he started to ramp up but then calmed back down.

not sure how I feel about it, there’s other more distant places to ride but I’ve always thought there was a lot of promise in a small area and it’s pretty local to me.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Was on a late afternoon family jaunt from Frogham in the N.W of the new Forest and saw some dude packed up for a overnighter. Anyone on here? No good with ages but I would guess late 50s early 60s.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Most of the South Downs lanes I covered yesterday were quite dry, but what on earth is going on with the low section of Dundridge Lane, closest to Bishop’s Waltham?

It’s turned into a few inches deep stream!

Forgot to post this from two weeks ago, but has Long Lane north east of Soberton been resurfaced? Not sure if I rode it last year, but whenever it was, the tarmac was pitted with small potholes that seemed to be missing on Easter Saturday.

thepurist

Anyone local to Selborne or Noar Hill – we usually do a loop round that way at this time of year to get our wild garlic fix (around Hawkley Hanger), but it seems there might be loads of closed BWs on Noar Hill, allegedly shut from March to August for tree work which seems like a long time.

cobrakai

n0b0dy0ftheg0atFree Member
    Most of the South Downs lanes I covered yesterday were quite dry, but what on earth is going on with the low section of Dundridge Lane, closest to Bishop’s Waltham?

I love in BW and am currently sat in the Bowman having a post ride pint.

We usually ride with the kids up dundridge Lane to the bowman with we did on Sat.

Going up the lane, away from the main road, the field on the right always flooded badly. I think this caused quite bad issues for the farm on the right. It looks like they’ve built up the lower edge of the pond and the water is being diverted onto the road.

There’s no stream down the dundridge valley so the road has always suffered. Once I’ve finished my pint, I’ll go have a gander.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The ground must be saturated from all that rain we had over the winter plus a very wet March.

Similar story for a stretch in the middle of Hensting Lane yesterday, it’s turn into a stream.

Viewing 22 posts - 1,801 through 1,822 (of 1,822 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.