Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 1,822 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • cinnamon_girl

St Mary Bourne?

cinnamon_girl

@ CG – yep that’s the one, you’re good.

Thanks @Muke ! Have cycled that way plenty of times over the years, so many rights of way to choose from. Always used to be deserted, is it still the same?

mefty
    Free Member

Anton, certainly fencing like that in the Clatfords but cant place it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nope, not Anton or Clatfords.

It’s a tributary.

wheelie

Southside road? Or thereabouts

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Getting closer!

I turned left on Mill Street today ,though. The photo was later, after the Test.

frogstomp

Not far, but I think the Stanton misses the gnar..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Crux Easton, FS?

frogstomp

CFH – yup, Crux Easton wind engine and Bullington church.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

That the Dever then? Close to Burlington Cross?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Annnnnd, that might give away my photo location!

Just over the A34, heading towards Norton.

What time were you out? Don’t remember seeing anyone on a Genesis.

Edit- UTW wins five whole points! Cross posting.

frogstomp

What time were you out? Don’t remember seeing anyone on a Genesis.

Me? That was on Wednesday afternoon. Off out SE towards the Candovers this morning..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, mine was yesterday.

Not sure what today holds, might be a local singletrack loop with the children for a change!

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Yay! What do points mean?
    Good to see this thread come back to life.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PRIZES!

😀

frogstomp

a local singletrack loop

Intriguing…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rad to teh powa of psikk, innit.

Noticed that EVERYONE was giving a cheerful wave today. Might be one for another thread.

As ever, points will be awarded if anyone knows the locations!

frogstomp

As ever, points will be awarded if anyone knows the locations!

Bottom one is, of course, the Harroway. If you see a Fabric bottle lurking in the stinging nettles it’ll be mine – lost last weekend!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It is indeed!

Will let you know if I see your bottle. Have found three Camelbak Podiums up there over the last couple of years!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All time awesomeness out there, folks.

cinnamon_girl

What a hardship, I’ve been tasked with putting together some roadie routes in the county for my son who’s visiting for a few days. He’s asked for hills so what are your ‘must do’ climbs? Any other route suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks!

frogstomp

@cinnamon_girl – the Whitchurch Primary Pedal 60 mile route is a good one, taking in Walbury Hill / Combe Gibbet, the highest point in SE England.

cinnamon_girl

Oooh that looks good @frogstomp and what a lovely hilly part of the county. Have found the Hampshire Hilly Hundred route for last year so that’s also promising, also the Wherwell climb as used in the very first TdF UK visit.

frogstomp

Also, the Magnificat in one of it’s forms is worth looking at for a tough, all-day ride (200k+ for the long route). Recent ones seem to have stayed around Newbury but the one I did five or six years ago went south as far as the Meon valley.

The South Downs Gentle Giant route would be another longer option too.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again @frogstomp and the Magnificat certainly sounds a challenge. Can’t access your other two links though. I reckon he’ll be spoilt for choice!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, that Primary Pedal route is a good one. I tend to cut across on the bridleway at the very NW corner, between Buttermere and Rivar,

frogstomp

@cinnamon_girl – oops, they were set to private. Try again now!

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for that @frogstomp, have now taken a look and more food for thought.

Nice to hear another vote for Primary Pedal. Just need to play with mapping software.

damitamit
    Free Member

Just found this thread. GF’s parents live in Hampshire, very near five ways. Did a gravel route down there a month ago and was ace 🙂 Great to get straight out onto bridleways/byways (compared to london) and so many of them!

Going down again soon. Any recommendations for good routes in the area? up to 100km.

Also thinking we could possible ride over to Swinley (or drive). What are trails like there on gravel bikes? (mtb’s are out of action atm)

cinnamon_girl

Five Ways? What part of the county please?

damitamit
    Free Member

Sorry, meant Five Lanes End!

cinnamon_girl

I know it! Loads of tracks around there, used to know the area really well but unable to give any up to date info cos I had to stop riding a few years ago.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What are trails like there on gravel bikes?

Ideal! There’s little to no real gnar, so a gravel bike makes it more interesting!

Will suggest some waypoints later if you’re going gravel.

damitamit
    Free Member

Will suggest some waypoints later if you’re going gravel.

That would be great. Defo taking the gravel bikes!

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone else accidentally (or otherwise) discovered the ZigZag Path at Selbourne?
    Hilarious on bikes. Never thought I’d find something like that in Hampshire. Not supposed to ride it, but none of the Sunday afternoon walkers were bothered as we got well out of their way.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyone in the deep south of the county?

Any gravel bike riders around Eastleigh/Winchester

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ice cream loop to village and back today. Blissful.

Also, Winchester peeps, seen this?

Lost! Garmin GPSmap 66s nr Winchester

garage-dweller

Anyone else accidentally (or otherwise) discovered the ZigZag Path at Selbourne?
    Hilarious on bikes. Never thought I’d find something like that in Hampshire. Not supposed to ride it, but none of the Sunday afternoon walkers were bothered as we got well out of their way

Not done that on a bike but walked it a couple of times in the post lockdown world, I suspect more hilarious going down than up!

The pub at the bottom was doing ice creams in the garden at one point before they could open properly.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Selbourne zigzag path reminds me of “The Cascade” paths at Longleat Center Parcs, which don’t have so many compact hairpins or cover so much elevation.

Lummox

Ok just been out on a recce of the selborne zig zags. They look hilarious fun, is there the makings of a fun ride that includes them? I’ll probably sit down with os maps in a bit but if people are already aware of one.

Id be looking to ride them after the holidays, during the week at a time when I could expect the least traffic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 1,822 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.