Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,819 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

Funtington/Kingley Vale has great riding and is not far from you. I went there a lot there in the summer but haven’t been since the weather turned so don’t know what it’s like in the wet.

soil type like QECP but gets less traffic so holds up a bit better.

cinnamon_girl

Nothing like being spoiled for choice is there! 🙂

Option to park at Bishop’s Waltham then head N to Street End where you can pick up a normally decent bridleway leading to Bigpath Farm, Woodcote and you can extend to near Baybridge House. A decent circular route that would involve minor roads to get back to BW. Do avoid Morestead Road though, traffic is fast.

Another option is drive to Cheriton, the other side of the A272. You can head SW and pick up the South Downs Way.

Word of warning for Old Winchester Hill- last time I was up that way it seemed to be a pick-up joint for men. 😯

Yak

If you are going from Bishops Waltham – try their newly launched circular ride. Nothing overly technical and some nice bits of fast singletrack in places. Bit gloopy at the Marwell end, but some re-surfacing has helped here:

link
    http://www.southdowns.gov.uk/enjoying/outdoor-activities/walks-and-rides

Top cycle map-link.

hammyuk
    Free Member

CG – whereabouts are you?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Word of warning for Old Winchester Hill- last time I was up that way it seemed to be a pick-up joint for men.

Is this men that like to meat meet other men in public places?

cinnamon_girl

CG – whereabouts are you?

Near Romsey but me and my bike roam all over the countryside. 🙂

Is this men that like to meat meet other men in public places?

Yep! I felt quite safe. 😉

hammyuk
    Free Member

T’other side to me then 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

T’other side to me then

Not entirely sure how to read that, in light of CG’s comments. 😯

hammyuk
    Free Member

CG is the “right side” for me but the wrong side of Scumahampton 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Too far South for me! 🙂

brassneck

Too far South for me!

Likewise, south of the 303 is for the road bike only 🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

johnj2000 – Member

QECP is just too hilly at the moment, all those up hill switch backs and tree roots would kill me.
    I love this Quote john, QECP’s new tag line maybe 🙂

cinnamon_girl

What’s all this about right side/wrong side??? Is ‘Hampshire Riding’ (yet another) euphemism on STW?

Oh well, back to my knitting. 😉

hammyuk
    Free Member

“What wool for a thong….” Thread…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

😆

hammyuk
    Free Member

More about not bring near enough for impromptu muddiness…. 😉

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Here’s my Kingley Valil trail map…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm..
    Botley Woods
    Bere Forest
    Wickham Lines
    Fareham Lines
    Chilling Cliffs
    Warsash
    Hamble River path to Botley
    Gosport to Portchester via the estuary path, then on to Hilsea Lines, up over Portsdown Hill and back into Fareham, if you look you can do all that without going on any roads..

Miles and miles of either cheeky or BW riding to be done, been doing it for 15 yrs with a crew from Fareham Wheelers or on my own.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Now I am totally spoiled for choice. Where do I start? The only one I would dispute would be warsash bikebouy, where on earth would you ride in Warsash??

johnj2000
    Free Member

I am starting to understand the value of riding with a club. I should have mentioned that as well as my rapidly decreasing levels of fitness I have a terrible sense of direction.

Anyone up for a Hampshire STW ride to stop me getting lost?

cinnamon_girl

There used to be Forum Rides taking place on a semi-regular basis in various locations in the South. In fact we even had a Winchester ride that included one or two hills ( :wink:), bits of single track and a gulley plus a great group of people. 8)

I’m sure there’s some folk you could hook up with, keep your eyes peeled. As regards sense of direction, have you thought about buying a basic GPS that could cost around £80?

johnj2000
    Free Member

If only I could get away with spending money so frivolously CG 🙂 when trying to find my way back to the car park following the ride London 100 I had my garmin car sat nav shoved in a bum bag with the volume on as loud as possible so I could hear it above the noise of London. I got some very strange looks when lost in China town with an automated voice saying “lost satellite reception” ” recalculating, recalculating”

TimCotic
    Free Member

Anyone up for a Hampshire STW ride to stop me getting lost?

Check out http://www.newforce.org for occasional weekday-daytime rides New Forest (like yesterday’s). Also there are 3 or 4 weekday evening groups, and Sunday 10.00am every second week.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Linky not sending me where I think you meant. Typo?

Muke
    Free Member

It’s missing the .uk bit

http://www.newforce.org.uk/

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll be back down in a couple of weeks and be more than happy to show you where I (and others like Fareham Wheelers) go. Could do a Sat or Sun, just post on here if you are interested and we’ll Hook up (see what I did there)

johnj2000
    Free Member

Sounds great bikebouy thanks. Just keep in mind I am a fat **** at the moment 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

Hello Bikebouy & Johnj! If I can get the time, could I join in too please? 🙂

johnj2000
    Free Member

Certainly SA, normally Sunday mornings are clear for me although I hear that is going to come to an end soon thanks to the boy starting rugby but I need to make the most of the remaining free time 🙂

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I’ve also just come across SouthDownsMTB who are based in Havant and who seem to be pretty active. They say they ride out Fareham way as well as over where I am… I may join up!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, all welcome, I have routes that last between an hour and 6 hours, just depends on where the front wheel takes us. No bother about fitness, we’ll be riding out so you can get a feel for the routes and access and linkups to other routes so you can then make your own up.
    Sundays fine for me too, could meet somewhere like Lee on Solent or Fareham Town Ctr… we can sort that out soon enough.
    Do you have Endomundo or some other GPS route tracker device? You don’t need it, but it would be good to revert back to if you want to make loops up and the like.

Catch up soon.

8)

slackalice
    Free Member

Sweet, looking forward to riding out, so long as I can sort child care (am lone parenting for the foreseeable whilst Mrs slack is away caring for her terminally ill mum 🙁 )

Will keep tabs on any posts.

I use Cyclemeter on my phone which does quite well as a mapping doo-dah.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Looking forward to this also.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok Guys I’m planning for the weekend of 14/15 Dec, thats a couple of weekends away and if you are still interested then either Sat or Sun (time to suit all) being flexiable and all that.
    I have quite a few routes I’d like to show you, I’d suggest at least 2 hours for the ride, maybe 3 at a push.
    We’ll start at a location to suit us all best, update here for further info.
    I’ll be on my NinerSS, bring/ride what you like, it’s not a race, we’ll head off steady and take it easy and we’ll stop multiple times so I can show you the different routes you can take off/head to on the route(s) we decide.

It’s all about showing you around beautiful Hampshire and to enable you to set your own routes up.

8)

slackalice
    Free Member

I could do the Sunday 🙂

It’ll be my first ride for a couple of months, so relieved to hear it will be a relaxed one!

Happy to meet where the general consensus is.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Sounds good to me… if I can free up a day. I’ve not ridden much West of the A3.

bikebouy
    Free Member

BUMP’idge

Ok, so just upping the thread for a call for this coming Sunday if anyones interested.

I’ll bump it again on Friday, just in case.. 😉

scottfitz
    Free Member

QECP Tonight 6.30 in main carpark!!

bartimaeus
    Free Member

As an FYI there’s a newish Facebook group called Join-a-Ride where people can post rides as Events for others to share. I had a guided tour of Whiteways/Houghton Forest on Sunday which was great fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,819 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.