Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Halfords 29er options for Bike to Work
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

Help required in finding out what 29ers are available through Halfords on the bike to work scheme.

Figured you guys would be able to offer better recommendations and be easier than playing lucky dip with the local BikeHut staff.

6’7″, 15st (maybe 15.5st) attempting to try a 29er for the first time.

Thanks

dooosuk
    Free Member

Oh, should probably say I’d be looking for a geared hard tail.

Thanks

MrTall
    Free Member

Halfords are a Kona dealer and they have a few 29ers in the range?

Other than that i wouldn’t know unless Halfords can get any bike?

I’m the same height as you and got a 23″ Rockhopper 29er at Xmas but not via the ride to work scheme i’m afraid.

Look on the Evans website at the Kona range to get an idea of price and spec, i think there’s one for just under a grand.

Your main problem as ever with people our size, is getting a test ride on anything as they won’t get a massive bike in unless you definately buy it.

bigsi
    Free Member

Don’t they say they get most bikes in?

Spesh do a 29er Think its one of the Rockhopper range) which IIRC is only about £750.

I’m sure there will be others 😐

dooosuk
    Free Member

Cheers guys, trawling through the sites now. Some shops don’t like as a 29er though, so unless I knew the Kahuna was a 29er I’d never find it.

MrTall
    Free Member

The Rockhopper is a slightly better spec than the Basic Kona (IMO) and is also cheaper.

Stock is the difficult thing as the bigger sizes are hard to come by. When i got mine it was one of only two in the country at that time. Depends what size frame you need and whether your height is in your legs or body.

A 22″ Kona should be ok for you though as i also have a Hoss in that size and it fits ok despite my ridiculous inside leg measurement.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Ok MrTall, what’s your inside leg measurement? (I’m 36″)

Thanks for your help.

Found:

Spec Rockhopper
    Kona Kahuna

and if they can get any brand:

Haro Mary XC
    Gary Fisher Cobia

any others people can think of?

clubber
    Free Member

Halfords can get pretty much any brand – they just source it from other shops.

MrTall
    Free Member

Those are most of the choices at your price point (i’m assuming £1000 is the limit). Anything else tends to be a bit more niche. I was in Chevin cycles in Leeds a few weeks back and noticed that Marin also do some 29ers now but don’t know if they are too expensive? They also stocked a big range of the GF 29ers and the owner rides one so they are a good shop to talk to if you need advice.

My inside leg for jeans is 36″ but measured for cycling is around 38/39″ so if you are a ‘real’ 36″ then a 21″ frame may be ok for you.

If you are anywhere near the midlands you’d be more than welcome to try my Rockhopper.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks MrTall

I’m in Manc, but if I’m passing before the deadline at the end of the month I may well take you up on the offer.

Mmm, I’m a 36″ jean….goes off to look up inside leg measurements for cycling.

MrTall
    Free Member

All i meant was measuring from the floor to the very top of your inner leg. My jeans are worn on the hip so the start of my leg is above the start of the leg on my jeans.

I may be waffling here but i know what i’m trying to say. I think. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Halfords 29er options for Bike to Work’ is closed to new replies.