Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Ti456- Why are people selling them? Whats ‘wrong’?
  • hora
    Free Member

Noticed a few popping up on classifieds. Curious really, Whatmountainbike etc call this the ultimate long travel hardtail? If so why are people selling up soo soon? 😕
    I’ll share my notes if you share yours..

orange
    Free Member

probably because they are skint and require a cash injection (just like the world economy)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve noticed this too.
    Only one real explanation – More money than sense.

the_lecht_rocks

mines not for sale – it’s fookn excellent….
    better than my Hummer 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m a great fan of ti bikes, and don’t begrudge anyone who has the cash for buying them, I do sometimes wonder if some folk justify the purchase with the notion it will last forever, and then realise they don’t want a bike for life.

peteimpreza

Were there not a few reports of frame failures? Non-driveside drop out IIRC

the_lecht_rocks

mine’s fine (so far) and backed up with a lifetime no quibble guarantee.

nickc

Lots of folk buy bikes, them sell them. Noticed the same thing when the original Ti Inbred came out.

T’was ever so

Lactic
    Free Member

It’s human nature. The sort of person who’s first in line for the latest cost-no-object shiny thing quickly gets bored, especially when the exclusivity factor starts to fade.
    I’m a bit jealous really

chakaping
    Free Member

They must be rubbish.

You need to sell it and buy something else.

I’ll give you £150 for it.

the_lecht_rocks

i’m not selling – why would i ?
    it’s the best riding hardtail i’ve owned.
    it is taught, direct and compliant – it is really really excellent.
    it made my Hummer redundant….
    it can go large on Big Betty’s or it’ll go lighter on nics.
    it revels on 140mm Van 15mm BT’s and @ 6′ tall i’m on an 18″ on a 70mm stem…
    it’s a true trail weapon….

BlingBling
    Free Member

The emperors new bike.

hora
    Free Member

I test rode a 18″ 456 with shonky forks- thanks John Clayton. Liked it, decided it was right so then ordered the ti456. Turns out it was the steel 456 that I liked.

the_lecht_rocks

possibly, although i’d suggest it’s simply a really very very good bike , well thought out in geometry and sizing.
    it just works….and it’s very nicely crafted to boot.

Smee
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – can you define the terms taught, direct and compliant, with regards a mountain bike frame for me please.

Sounds like a load of marketing bollocks to me.

the_lecht_rocks

taught as in no flex noticeable.
    direct as in steering input through the short HT is unaffected by lateral flex.
    compliant as in no flex noticeable under power, but the frame has the ability to ‘flatter the trail’ and provides an element of comfort.

HTH.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Clear as mud mate 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I bought a mint track frame (circa 20yrs old) to swap out/replace my Fuji track frame. I wanted something special. The Raleigh frame felt noodly. saggy/baggy whereas the steel Fuji felt taut and stiff. direct etc….draw some parallels in there!! 😉

ton

the_lecht_rocks
    i had a ride on one at htn 1.5
    it flexed loads…. 😀

stoney
    Free Member

I have bought this recently and after owning an old school Litespeed i`m really looking forward to this …..

Now just needs wheels and brakes.

scaredypants

“direct as in steering input through the short HT is unaffected by lateral flex” 😯
    I doubt even in his dreams did Brant come up with that sort of stuff

(taut, BTW)

Daffy

I’ve definitely got more sense than money, that’s why I’m selling the Ti456 🙁

Seriously though, T’is a fabulous bike I’m just liquidating some assets.

the_lecht_rocks

here’s mine – (scaredy – sorry – taut) :

Smee
    Free Member

So it is not flexy then – neither is aluminium.

the_lecht_rocks

no but it is compliant, and aluminium aint compliant

HTTP404
    Free Member

no but it is compliant, and aluminium aint compliant

This depends very much on the tube profiling and geometry rather than material.

^^^ didn’t brant make some comments on STW about handlebars being higher than the saddle? 🙂

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Oh. My. God.

heihei

Although it may sound like marketing bollocks, the_lecht_rocks is spot on when it comes to the ti456. Having had 3 rides on mine I know exactly what he means, and the bike is an absolute riot to ride; on certain sections of singletrack, it really was hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

scaredypants

I have to say, Mr Lecht, that is pretty much how I’d have “mine” 😀 🙁

HTTP404
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks is spot on when it comes to the ti456

you speak his language?
    pls translate, i can’t speak bollocksvakian. 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

Compliant roughly the same as submissive – not that sure that i’d want a submissive bike, well not on with wheels on anyway.

ajc
    Free Member

Surly any bike will feel compliant with tyres like those above on it? I always wonder just how many times the emperor can get those new clothes.

STATO
    Free Member

This depends very much on the tube profiling and geometry rather than material.

…or what you market it as, Scandium on-one thats not scandium anyone ;0)

HTTP404
    Free Member

or what you market it as, Scandium on-one thats not scandium

well, there’s your scandal then.

bigrich

The brant fanboys are raising capitol before he releases his new hotlines product?

Nico
    Free Member

Compliant – Com = with; pliant (same root as pliers) meaning it bends (or folds – hopefully not that one). So … flexy, or, with some “give”.

CountZero

Sure you can manipulate ally tubing to have a degree of compliance or spring to it, but I really wouldn’t want to treat such a frame the way a 456Ti can be treated, and expect it to have an extended lifespan. There is a damn good reason why forks and shocks don’t have alloy springs to save weight, but they do have Ti ones. I love the way my steel Inbred’s ride, and, although my 567 ‘bred is significantly heavier than the Hummer that most of the bits attached to it came from, and with 160mm Nixons on that’s to be expected, but the way it rides has similar qualities, as does my 853 SS. My old Cannondale hardtail by comparison felt rather dead, and absolutely hammered my ar$e. Kleins were notorious for this, whereas Ti and steel just absorb the vibrations. Carbon, too. Sure it can be read as marketing bull, especially by people who have only ever ridden alloy bikes, but until you’ve ridden all three, and then attempted to try to describe the difference in feel, then you’ll realize how difficult that is without using the same terms.

cyclelife
    Free Member

I really don’t know why I bothered reading this!
    Just the usual bollox being talked by the usual legends.

Just get out and ride more.

scaredypants

bigrich – 😀

Keva
    Free Member

mines not for sale either… loving it at the moment. Been riding it round Afan today, was an absolute blast on Penhydd trail, fast and flowing and soooo much fun !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Ti456- Why are people selling them? Whats ‘wrong’?’ is closed to new replies.