Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Haldon Enduro
  • dropoff

Just wondered if anyone was doing this next weekend ?

kimbers

yes

never ridden there b4 will be driving down on sunday morning from london sonot much time to practice!

amedias
    Free Member

I really want to but am not too happy about the £45 entry cost so still deciding…

seems a lot of money, especially to ride my local trails 😕

so make that a ‘not sure’ from me.

dropoff

Must agree I initially thought the entrance fee was high but it seems about right for this type of event.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

1 downhill race – 1 set of timing, 1 set of marshalls, 1 first aid cover

3 Stage enduro – 3 sets of timing, 3 sets of marhsalls, 3 lots of first aid cover

plus all the other costs.

Seems pretty reasonable to me

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I’m going, looking forward to it 🙂

jam-bo

1 downhill race – 1 set of timing, 1 set of marshalls, 1 first aid cover

you forgot the uplift cost which are generally massive…

amedias
    Free Member

I’m still undecided, I know it costs a lot to put events on, and I very much doubt they are making any money on it, but £45 is still a lot of money, and when you contrast that to 24hr events like 24/12 where ~£50 there gets you 3 days of camping, with showers, toilets, entertainment and a much much bigger event…

I want to do the race, and I want to support events like this, but the honest truth is that for a lot of people at this price it’s hard to justify.

If I don’t enter I will still be there to cheer the rest of you on!

dropoff

Well all being well and if we can scope the trails out first we’ll be there with the cameras to capture you all in your glory 🙂

eviljoe
    Free Member

Much of the same infrastructure planning and permissions has to go in whether it is 1 day or a weekend

What is a reasonable cost for an enduro?

amedias
    Free Member

£45 is probably reasonable, never said it wasn’t, its just a lot of money and I’m torn between entering and not…I wouldn’t be missing out on anything I can’t normally ride so trying to convince myself to spend the money for the ‘event’ness of it.

jobro
    Free Member

Did anyone do this?
    Any good?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

it’s this weekend dude 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

Kimbers – I’m driving up Sunday morning too so will just have a couple of hours practice to get my head round the runs, should be good, I justify the entry fee to these kind of events by the fact that I’m riding new trails which adds to the experience for me.

xiphon
    Free Member

The primary cost of racing these days is the fuel.

I have a mate who drives at least 1hr each way every weekend, and attends every race he can fit into his diary – being single and living under your parents roof has its benefits….

treemagnet
    Free Member

I’m entered, but it does seem pretty expensive compared to other events.
    Travelling down Sunday morning, so I guess it will be tight getting any practice runs in.
    Never been there before, any suggestions re tyre choice?

dropoff

Terrain is variable but includes peaty/boggy/rooty, clay/flint/sandy and hardpack trail 🙂 Hope that helps for tyre choice 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

Never been there before, any suggestions re tyre choice?

I’d suggest ones you’re used to. Terrain is varied so just go with what you know.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s bloody expensive. The Enduro1 races are a tenner cheaper with double the amount of timed stages. Hell I can race a single days DH with uplift for less than this.

It’s only £15 less than a whole weekend entry to the Gravity Enduro series.

treemagnet
    Free Member

Cheers. Sounds like a bit of everything then.
    Have only got high roller 2’s and find they’re a bit sketchy on muddy, rooty descents.
    Rode in sticky mud yesterday and ended up with massive slick mud tyres!
    Just ordered some swampthings in case it’s really sloppy …more expense!

andyrm
    Free Member

Yeah – couple of us heading down.

£45 is quite a bit of money, but then at the same time, infrastructure costs like timing, marshalling (over quite a long time and spread out area) all add up to the costs of putting the event on.

And of course being a smaller “grass roots” event, sponsorship revenue is harder to gain in order to offset operational costs.

scottfitz
    Free Member

It’s bloody expensive. The Enduro1 races are a tenner cheaper with double the amount of timed stages. Hell I can race a single days DH with uplift for less than this.

Enduro1 races are stopwatch timed, that’s a lot cheaper. But it is to expensive for me. Hopton was the best value for money enduro race I have done so far.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Might pop over for a gander on the road bike…looks a bit like it will be full of Gnarl Rad Types, still don’t understand this Ednure set up. I did the Kona Mash Up at Afan years back and that was cool as the Downhillers had to ride the XC stuff same as the XCer’s had to ride the Downhill stuff…this to me just looks like a bunch of Downhill ride linked by the Blue route?

Tyre’s for haldon and the off piste stuff…Rocket Rons 🙂

£45 I think that’s what I pad for TwentyFour12 this year! but then again there are 1000+ people there.

kimbers

on fbook…

Steve Parr
    Don’t forget the Mini Enduro at Haldon next weekend, Mr Chris Roberts and his crew are putting this event on. If you want to see how good the timing will be for our event, get yourself signed up, also be a great introduction to Gravity Enduro.
    Go on you know you want too 🙂

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Maybe the extra money goes towards paying the Atherton’s fees?!

kimbers

its looking a bit wet for tomorrow!

Del

trails are in pretty decent shape at the mo.

Burchy1
    Free Member

As Del says trails aren’t too bad at the moment baring Kim, but better they use that than others.

Interested to see what bikes the real fast boys use, as there are only a couple of small sections were I’d say a 5/6″ enduro sofa would be beneficial.

Bucko

Any suggestions for good viewing spots? I was thinking of popping up with the dog for an hour or so

Burchy1
    Free Member

Probably the chute on stinky ring, or the off camber corners on the bottom of Kim Jong Ill (if it rains you might see a few comedy crashes there).

Del

probably the tabletop @ the junction of smell ring and smelly ring ring will provide some entertainment.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Saw Gee Atherton in the double locks in Exeter tonigt so guess he will be at Haldon tomorrow.

dropoff

Judging by the rain at the moment its gonna be a bit slick, now wheres me bags for the cameras ? 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

Bang tidy day on the bike that, loved the trails and great atmosphere, first time at haldon in many years and really enjoyed the off piste stuff. Rain made it interesting – stage 3 in particular!!!

kimbers

great fun indeed lots of pics up on roots and rain too

http://www.rootsandrain.com/race1754/2013-feb-10-one-industries-mini-enduro-1-haldon/photos/?p=1

it was a bit muddy

dropoff

Hi has anyone seen the results from this yet ?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hi has anyone seen the results from this yet ?

Haldon Results 10th Feb 2013

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Great days racing, well organized and marshalled. Top stuff 🙂

f*ck me stage 3 was muddy!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cool to have raced against Gee and Dan

treemagnet
    Free Member

Good venue and the stages were good fun, but poorly marked out in places. For example, I didn’t realise there was more to stage 1 when you hit the fire road.
    Also, noticed a lot of guys riding the stages without rucksacks …what’s with that? I thought you were supposed to be carrying all your gear all the time!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Haldon Enduro’ is closed to new replies.