Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 170 total)
  • Flouncers……..
  • jota180
    Free Member

Even when I do want something it’s a personal choice and there’s really very little to be gleaned anymore from a bike forum.

I disagree, there’s quite a few threads where people simply can’t fathom what it is they need to fit or do various things, e.g. headsets are a flaming nightmare to figure out with some frames.
    There’s usually someone here that’s sorted the puzzle and has answers.

Coyote
    Free Member

Hmm… brayingsoloudly would be a good one for TJ or Elfin.

Cougar

Wait, isn’t that a song by The Police?

piemonster

@jota180

Sorry, I didn’t mean in general. I meant specifically in my case. I just hardly ever have any bike questions any more.

emsz
    Free Member

some of GW comments were pretty rubbish 🙁 he was pretty rude to both me and Sue W a while back, and that wasn’t cool.

banning TSY and Don was rubbsh as well, they were pretty funny.

the bike bit can be pretty scary TBH

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a lot of knowledgable folk on the bike forum, and I don’t think I’d want to ask questions here if I was a proper newbie, bit intimidating. BikeRadar is far better for that. But then if I wanted to know the finer points on certain carbon rims, or damping set ups I’d never ask BR.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I miss TSY (and TJ….begrudgingly).
    I don’t miss GW or Don ,even though he’s a nice bloke inreallife(tm).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

There’s a lot of knowledgable folk on the bike forum, and I don’t think I’d want to ask questions here if I was a proper newbie, bit intimidating. BikeRadar is far better for that

Is the boy genius Supersonic stiil dispensing his deep wisdom there?

drlex
    Free Member

Yup (although I can’t comment on its depth).

fourbanger
    Free Member

Anyone got a contact for TJ?

RustySpanner

His email address was in his profile – should still be on here if you go back far enough.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes.

CountZero

I found though that the chat forum has a good mix of people with diverse skillsets and at least some degree of intelligence.

Counts me out… 😀
    (Pun intended)
    Interesting thread, this. I’ve pretty much stopped looking at the cycling side, partly because I haven’t any need to do anything to my bikes that really needs help with, but mainly because I hardly ride these days, for a number of reasons.
    This side, though, keeps on providing enough interesting subject matter and conversations to keep me entertained and coming back. There are certain individuals who I can’t say I’m too sad to see the back of, but I do miss elfinfrededbra for the times he could be really amusing, and for his architecture themed photo threads. Didn’t help that some people knew which buttons to push to get him going.
    Next year it’ll be ten years since I started checking out STW! 😯

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yes.

mogrim

Can’t say I do much on the bike side of the forum, it’s a bit like subscribing to Cycling Plus: great for the first year, ok in the second, then “how many articles about winter cycling gear do I need?” in the third.

The chat side of the forum is great, despite the reputation for being filled with IT middle managers (er…) I don’t find it anything like that, there are a load of different opinions with a decent sense of humour to back them up.

njee20
    Free Member

Indeed, with Nicklouse. Very knowledgeable guys, but I dislike how everything they say is taken as gospel!

RustySpanner

I liked Fred, but he deserved his ban.
    Good VFM, but he was just too nasty to too many people too many times.

Much of the abuse TJ took was bullying, pure and simple – there are some truly nasty people on this site.
    I’d rather have lost his tormentors than him.

Never really noticed TSY – didn’t he just post guff about himself?
    Seemed harmless enough, if a bit egotistical.

I know I’ve said this before, but the best thing for this site would be a limit on the number of times people can post.
    Obviously never going to happen, but would make this a much more pleasant place.

Oh, and a clampdown on multiple accounts, but not technically possible I believe.

nealglover
    Free Member

Anyone got a contact for TJ?

Unsure of its effectiveness, but feel free to try

druidh
    Free Member

Interesting that some regulars now avoid the bike forum as they are already so knowledgeable. I like to think I can contribute rather than just “take” all the time.

compositepro
    Free Member

STW: you’ll come for the biking, you’ll stay for the bollocks.

Very astute

Jamie
    Free Member

I like to think I can contribute rather than just “take” all the time.

That’s because you’re a giver, not just a receiver Druidh.

Personally, I am less on the Bike side, as I don’t to cause anyone mischief with my cack-handed advice.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Whom is it on Bike Radar that has about 30 thousand posts yet has doesn’t seem to have ridden anywhere other than Deggy? He was quite scathing of the Olympic MTB course iirc.

druidh
    Free Member

Staying resolutely in the middle Jamie….

lazybike
    Free Member

I know I’ve said this before, but the best thing for this site would be a limit on the number of times people can post.

😯

Jamie
    Free Member

Staying resolutely in the middle Jamie….

…the filling in the sandwich.

As it were.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wise words Rusty but TSY persona was somewhat tongue in cheek

TJ was often enraged but loads of folks – who disagree with his politics- just attacked him

On the the final straw thread I posteda view similar to TJ an it was ignored – Don simon [ now back as davidjones but not seen for a while] and iirc Z-11 posted their only comments on the thread just at him – they actually sought him out and often.
    He did not really help himself though but there was no malice to him
    unlike some posters on here

I like to think I can contribute rather than just “take” all the time.

Bless you , we are humbled

househusband

STW: you’ll come for the biking, you’ll stay for the bollocks.

Yup.

Was the first bikey forum I ever joined, under the same moniker, several years ago – 2005/6..?

It’s the first place I come to for technical advice, and I do offer it too… whether qualified or not is a different matter! Do enjoy the ‘bollocks’, too.

mogrim

Interesting that some regulars now avoid the bike forum as they are already so knowledgeable. I like to think I can contribute rather than just “take” all the time.

Don’t really avoid it, just not that interested in it, and I really couldn’t tell you the difference between Reverb and Vanilla forks (or whatever) these days, after >10yrs they all look the same… Still post on stuff I am a (bit) more knowledgeable on, though.

As for TJ: he seemed a nice enough guy on a personal level, but he was crap at arguing, despite the amount he tried. He’d take a position, usually based on his own (limited) experience, then never budge from it despite any amount of evidence against it. That would be fine if the whole-wide-world were the same as central Edinburgh, but if (as is my case) you have two kids and live in a rural area… but no, he wouldn’t budge, he wouldn’t accept that perhaps a car could be necessary, that perhaps you do need more than 40K to live on, etc.

druidh
    Free Member

You need more that £40k to live on? Give over. Perhaps if you didn’t spend all your money on bikes and computers you wouldn’t need half as much!

etc.
    etc.
    etc.

PS – TJ is lovely. And has embraced some modern conveniences like Facebook if anyone is in need of a good rant.

cynic-al
    Free Member

We bow to your humility.

Who said they avoided the bike forum because they know it all? They’re just not interested in which tire will give them 2s on their mates at some trail centre.

EDIT

You need more that £40k to live on?

How could you know?

pussywillow
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member
    hmmm agree with njee apart from one bit…. jedi said he was by far the fastest rider he’d had round his field of dreams IIRC.
    POSTED 8 HOURS AGO #

😆 funniest thing I’ve heard all year!…..I assume he had great competition! 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

He is right though plenty of folk live on less than 40 k per annum in the UK never mind the world.

just because you dont want to do this [he explained it poorly and called you all rich so you got upset] does not mean his fundamental point was true if unpalatable.

He often made decent points, if controversial, very badly

househusband

You need more that £40k to live on? Give over.

To be fair, druidh, that could depend on where in the UK you love.

druidh
    Free Member

Or even in how to spell tyre!

druidh
    Free Member

I do most of my loving at home.

But your response (and Als) does highlight one of the issues about drawing conclusions about folk based on what they write on the internet….. 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

🙄 US v UK spelling flame = WIN…,not.

clubber
    Free Member

which tire will give them 2s on
    their mates at some trail centre

There are tyres that’ll give me 2s on my mates?! Quick! I must know which ones they are!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Where is the place in the UK you starve to death on only a paltry 40 k?

Jamie
    Free Member

There are tyres that’ll give me 2s on my mates?! Quick! I must know which ones they are!

Try asking in the bike section.

cynic-al
    Free Member

highlight one of the issues about drawing conclusions about folk based on what they write on the internet..

OK…we know your love of being cryptic…what are you getting at here? We’re misunderstanding you?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Flouncers……..’ is closed to new replies.