• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Haldon dat moor MTb???
  • proflexforever
    Free Member

Anyone risen haldon recently?
    Is it any good?
    Anywhere else good in the south west??
    I’m in Brighton
    I’ve got a S Works Enduro .carbon
    And ride most stuff apart from DH
    Cheers
    Jon

jimilindley
    Free Member

Haldon is pretty good, almost all singletrack, not quite South Wales, but the red is worth doing , not too long, but worth stopping at if in the area (its v near the bottom of the M5 and the A38).

I will be watching this post, because I’m looking for some singletrack routes on Dartmoor for when Im in the area next.

crispybacon
    Free Member

If you want some W.Dartmoor routes either word docs or GPX files then pm me – addy in profile

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve only been riding Haldon for the last 6 months so I’m not too sure what’s been blocked off but there’s enough up there to keep you entertained. The red and black are fun if you give it some welly and the blue’s good for some miles.

The best tracks aren’t marked so you have to keep your eyes open for random small openings – one’s pretty steep and has some ‘interesting’ gulleys. A few of them have red rags tied to trees close by.

Woodbury Common is also worth a look as it has a real mix of tracks / surfaces. You just need to keep your eyes open for Marines jumping out of bushes…

nacho
    Free Member

Proflexforever. Haldon red and blue are pretty tame, there is more fun “off piste” stuff but you’ll probably want someone to show you round (and before it gets wet, we tend to ride mainly red and blue once it gets too wet otherwise the trails get ****ed)
    I know Haldon and Woodbury (ride there every week) so ping me a mail and if I can I’ll show you round. There is some excellent riding on Dartmoor (and the Quantocks) but I don’t know it well enough to show anyone round……..

eviljoe
    Free Member

Foxy- that Burrator route with extras looks good- but what happens between point 18 and 19? Is there any way to download it if you’re not a member of Endomondo?

Del

lots of riding on haldon and i’m happy to guide also. post here. mates ride dartmoor a lot and there’s usually a ride on at the w/e. i usually just go with the flow on those rides, unless they pick particularly horrid climbs for no obvious reason!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh yeah evil, not sure what happened there 🙁

Here is the GPX file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9914773/Pricetown_course.gpx

jasoncole1981
    Free Member

Just moved down to South Devon and been to Haldon a couple of times I enjoyed it (maybe ‘cos I only live 10 mins away) but as stated above Haldon’s good for a blast but the red isn’t up to the standard you get in Wales and is pretty easy to get around. Black is good but I am not sure the hill climb back up is worth it – maybe just do the first 50 metres then bail on it.

Foxy – those routes look good the Burrator (the views are worth it) with extras look better than the route I took the other day.

Sorry haven’t got much more to add as Having just moved to the area looking for any riders that would like to show me the way as well – del and nacho would be good if I could link up with you for a weekend.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

There’s loads of well-hidden singletrack in that there Haldon. Woodbury is the way forward when the weather’s nasty.

nacho
    Free Member

jasoncole drop me a mail, we normally have one or two group rides a week either Woodbury or Haldon (more Haldon red and blue in winter though – save trashing the trails)
    Spongingmachine – Woodbury in the wet? The grit will destroy your bike and the bike will destroy a lot of the singletrack! Although we do ride the trails that don’t trash so easy it unless it’s proper swampy

foxyrider
    Free Member

The extra bits up the hidden valley is care of Crispy Bacon up there ^^^^

eviljoe
    Free Member

Cheers foxy!

Just back from Haldon. There was a moonbow over the Belvedeer- never seen one before, beautiful.

tim41
    Free Member

Saw the ‘moonbow’ last night too. Wierd!
    Haldon is great as a local playground, but it’s not comparable as a trail centre to the welsh venues.
    We also tend to ride the red/blue more in the winter when the off piste stuff is too wet. On the whole though it’s pretty good for all year round riding, and holds up fairly well unless there’s polongued wet weather. Woodbury, on the other hand will destroy your bike when ridden in the wet 😯

trailmonkey

for a truly religious experience however…………

always rides at the weekend or even during the week at the moment. just post on here and you’re likely to procure the services of a piskie or two.

nacho
    Free Member

I got married at Belvedere, it’s funny seing it every time I go onto the red route, wish I’d seen the moonbow!

yunki
    Free Member

I was driving over the tops earlier and it looked proper good TM.. very American Werewolf..

Woodbury is ace for whizzing about on a rigid bike.. especially sideways over the pebbly stuff..
    It can develop some very boggy obstacles over the winter but the royal marines, horses, motoXers and dog walkers do far more damage than any mountain bikes in my experience.. I’ve always found that the mud, although prolific, is quite gentle on kit compared to other places too..

As anywhere else you would benefit from a local guide up there as nothing is marked and you could bimble around for months missing all the fun stuff..

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got married at Belvedere, it’s funny seing it every time I go onto the red route, wish I’d seen the moonbow!

me too 🙂

nacho
    Free Member

Yunki – “I’ve always found that the mud, although prolific, is quite gentle on kit compared to other places too”
    You serious? I thought Woodbury grit was world famous as a bike destroyer!

Del

jason, probably about both days this w/e, but a combination of recovery from injury and a week abroad for work will probably mean i’m blowing out my ar5e!
    will post up whens/wheres here if you’re about?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Haldon dat moor MTb???’ is closed to new replies.