Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hairy Flipping Bikers
  • bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not really a cooking person so I’ve not really encountered them much before – but now they’re doing an engineering series so have to watch them.

Anyone else find them intensely annoying? It’s the fake matey exchanges, the obviously scripted jokey asides, the turning up to work for five minutes and then claiming the glory.

Grr.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s like Top Gear with cooking…. 😡 / 😀 (Delete as applicable)

5thElefant
    Free Member

They have beards. Should have been a clue.

djglover
    Free Member

I thought they were a Reeves and Mortimer act?

willard

It did have parts that made me want to squirm, mainly when they were moralising about how we need to get back to the old days on manufacturing like when they cast wheels for trains.

As much as I admire that sentiment, you can never go back to heavy industry in a commercial environment if just about every other country can do it cheaper, or better, or both. The time when we were world leaders in that sort of thing is long gone.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

on a scale of 1 to death-by-crocodile, I rate them about 5, which is to say I can watch a whole programme with them but I’d prefer not to.

binners

Like most cookery programmes, its only actually an extended advert to sell some over-priced hard backed, glossy covered books, mainly at Christmas, that are compulsory in every middle class’s kitchen, where they sit sadly ignored, and never ever ever get used!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Don’t start binners, we’ve got loads of those, relatives must think we can’t feed ourselves properly.

Jamie
    Free Member

that are compulsory in every middle class’s kitchen, where they sit sadly ignored, and never ever ever get used!

binners

I wish Jamie! Sadly we’ve got shelves heaving under the weight of many grinning Nigella and Jamie’s. 🙁

I suppose I could indulge our own personal nazi style book burning later

Ironically, the Hairy flipping Bikers ‘perfect pies’ is one of the few that gets regularly used. As its arrival ushered in the much loved Pie Monday

Northwind

They gave me food at t in the park, basically anyone who feeds me has my eternal loyalty. And it was very, very good. The tv personas are just a scripted version of what they’re like in person, odd-couple hetero life partners 😉 Though, on TV it’s all really fake and forced which is a shame.

DrJ

Sure they’re annoying, but the recipes are quite good.

failedengineer

I don’t find them even slightly annoying.

davosaurusrex

What really grips my shit is that it’s such a blatant rip off of Guy Martin’s series. And he is actually bonkers (mate) unlike their lamentable acting

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I don’t mind them too much, but the over egging of the Geordie accent is a bit silly IMO.

toppers3933
    Free Member

dood.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Went to see them on tour, one of the best shows I’ve ever been to, it was hilarious and entertaining.

lemonysam
    Free Member

but the over egging of the Geordie accent is a bit silly IMO.

You think that’s overegging a geordie accent? I’d have said it was pretty mild all things considered. I speak to at least a couple of people a week who I just don’t believe I share a language with.

crankboy
    Free Member

Their penang fish curry won our holiday come dine with me holiday week(go on holiday with friends to a cottage each person cooks an evening’s meal everyone drinks an excessive amount of wine.)

Drac

but the over egging of the Geordie accent is a bit silly IMO.

Well given none of them are Geordies and the accent gives that a way then I’m confused by this.

“Awwww Duuude!”

joshvegas
    Free Member

davosaurusrex – Member
    What really grips my shit is that it’s such a blatant rip off of Guy Martin Fred Dibnah’s series. And he is actually bonkers (mate) unlike their lamentable acting

Seriously, not even close with that one!

matt_bl
    Free Member

This, and Fred’s not with us any more so he’ll not mind.

There can’t be enough people shouting about these projects if you ask me.

Matt

binners

I can’t believe everyone missed Robson Green’s History of Working Britain? An exhaustively researched, in-depth view into the history of the working classes. It was only the regular adverts for Argos and Subway that reminded you you weren’t watching BBC4

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hairy Flipping Bikers’ is closed to new replies.