Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hadfield Green Route from Issue 20
  • tim2106

Can anyone help with either the map or GPS file for the Hadfield Green route that was featured way back in issue 20? The PDF download of the mag isn’t clear enough to see the map and it states map and GPS file available to download online but I can’t find them anywhere on here (assuming they are too old?). Longshot but does anyone have a copy that they have kept for all these years? Was hoping to do a route from Hadfield with my son this week and this one looks like it would be perfect for us. Alternatively can anyone suggest another route that starts and finishes in Hadfield and would be 15-20 miles or up to about 5 hours in length. Not too much of a killer please!
    Cheers!

slackboy

its listed here:

http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/peaks/all.html

you can convert to a gpx file here:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

How old this your son? half that route is on the longdendale trail which is flat, boring and full of dog walkers. Some of the rest is on the main road which is scary.

Esme
    Free Member

That route was devised in 2005, and since then the Northern Horse Route has been developed to avoid the busy road (A628). But it’s still not very exciting . . .

You might be better heading north on the Pennine Bridleway, with a loop round Dovestone reservoir.

Esme
    Free Member

You’re not far from the new Stalybridge Loop currently being developed by a local rider.
    But there’s currently a BW closure somewhere around there (Mottram Rise?)

BadlyWiredDog

That route was devised in 2005, and since then the Northern Horse Route has been developed to avoid the busy road (A628). But it’s still not very exciting . . .

The Northern Horse Route is ace on a cross bike and can be mixed up with other tracks/paths that aren’t the Longdendale Trail to make quite a neat local loop. I wouldn’t travel to ride it, but it makes a nice local loop and the scenery is stunning.

You can also extend it up along the Longdendale Trail, cut over to Dunford Bridge, thread your way off road to the bottom of Holme Moss then cut up – mostly off road again – to the Isle of Skye road, drop down to Marsden from their on the Pennine Way then back over to Hollingworth on the Pennine Bridleway.

But I’d take issue with your ‘not very exciting’ comment, it’s nice riding and all the nicer for being unexpected and shrewdly routed to avoid a horrible stretch of road. I lived in Glossop for almost 20 years and it’s one of my favourite local trails. And it’s even legal…

tim2106

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies, I should be able to find something to go at there.
    My son is 16 and very fit (the ‘not too much of a killer’ request was for my benefit!) but I would rather try and avoid the road bit if possible.
    I’ll be in Hadfield getting my car serviced so thought it would be a good opportunity to get out with my son for an all too rare ride together while it’s being done, so I always knew it would be a bit of a compromise as we will be time limited and have to start from Hadfield. I’m sure we will still have a good time, cheers all!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hadfield Green Route from Issue 20’ is closed to new replies.