Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Had my first Vert experience yesterday!
  • lyons
    Free Member

As above, I rode the corby vert ramp for the first time ever yesterday.Wow, such a rush. Its probably the scariest, hardest and most fun thing ive ever done on a bike… And I was only getting level with the coping.

Massive respect for people who can ride it properly… Jedi off of here being one…

That is all.

jedi

high5!
    you ride in?

lyons
    Free Member

Nah, not this time… Just pedalling from the bottom. Paul robinson was there, and he reckons to drop in from the corner onto the resi first few times, as it helps get used to being near the edge.

Dropping in to that ramp looks terrifying to be honest.

Im goign to go back next time with my dh body armour I think…

Oh i keep on meaning to tell you about this – http://extremeconnexions.tumblr.com/

jedi

you mean paul jones? just ride in like a normal ramp. going in on the resi teaches you nothing imo. i may go later with atkins 🙂

lyons
    Free Member

Paul Jones, thats the one. I really want to ride it again now, I may go friday, or if not the weekend.

It made all the other quarters there feel tiny afterwards.

jedi

i may go friday. as i cant go today as i got a cold and need to recover for coaching tomorrow

scruff
    Free Member

Sweet. You never forget your first proper vert drop in.

_tom_
    Free Member

Vert scares the shite out of me. I used to drop in all the ramps at desborough skatepark (back in my bmx days :P) apart from the big (well about 8-9ft) almost-vert as I couldn’t even get on top of it!

lyons your bmx progression posts always make me wanna start riding it again, seems like you’re coming on so well! Put off by my last attempts at getting back into it though, bike was twitchy and horrible, probably too small for me though.

jedi

desbourgh is wrecked. teh 9ft quarter was nice. corby is the first real vert ramp i ever dropped into

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I went there a few months ago. It used to be good back when I first rode in about 2003-2005, loads of people there and a good atmosphere.

lyons
    Free Member

Jedi – Friday may be good for me. Depends on work really

I think im going to go to a few bowls, with vert transitions, just not as high and drop into those properly first. Bmx is great _tom_ but the bike makes a big difference to how it feels in my experience. What about a 24 inch cruiser? Its a bit of a comprimise but you can do a lot on them? Or a large top tube with big bars? I was riding a xxl deluxe with MASSIVE bars for a while which was certainly more stable than my current bike, and i think it helped at first coming from a mtb background…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Used to do them on skateboards and hurt myself a lot.

Not tried a proper “vert” ramp on a bike.

Love going vertical when surfing.

_tom_
    Free Member

I was riding a xxl deluxe with MASSIVE bars for a while which was certainly more stable than my current bike, and i think it helped at first coming from a mtb background…

Yeah I want a go on a Deluxe, seems like the best one for me! My bmx was a 20.5″ Sunday with fairly narrow bars :\

lyons
    Free Member

tom, that definitely wouldnt have been helping…
    i still have my deluxe frame and you would be try it out or something…

It’s a nice frame, i just wanted something shorter and twitchier myself…

_tom_
    Free Member

If you’ve got it in a state where it can be built up into something rideable I’d really like to have a go, got no other bmx parts lying around at the minute though 🙁

lyons
    Free Member

yeah, that would be the problem, I dont have any spare parts myself… 🙁

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Never rode into any vert ramps, but dropped into them from the pegs. Big rush tho!

Used to like riding minis back in the ’90s – even rode Rom with Jamie Bestwick once, many moons back. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Had my first Vert experience yesterday!’ is closed to new replies.