Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gypsy Glen or Glen Tilt?
  • Johnboy373
    Free Member

We fancy trying something different to our usual visit to Glentress. I’m quit interested in trying both Gypsy Glen and Glen Tilt. But will only be able to do one this weekend..

I’ve got some questions..

How long are the above trails? Is it big day out stuff or a few hours most?

Also what kind of terrain are they? Singletrack or mostly fireroads?

If any one can suggest a route for me I’d be most appreciative.

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

They are quite different. Gypsy Glen is a couple of hours riding a ridge. Glen Tilt is most of a day & more singletrack.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al I suggest you look at a map

Glen Tilt circuit is mainly double track. But pretty rough double track in places. It is 35 miles and 5000 ft of climb. Last time I was there it took me over 6 hrs

Gypsey glen is a great descent. Much shorter, less climbing , less remote. Took me 3 hrs MOre singletrack

Edit – OP you have memory map? I can send you a route of both – email in profile

DaddyFool
    Free Member

Glen Tilt circuit (Beinn a Ghlo) is covered here….. http://www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk/ride/mtb/bienn_aghlo.shtml.

I was up there last Friday. Pretty wet. I’ve always done it anticlockwise though. Worth doing it that way for the singletrack from Fealar Lodge down to the Tilt. Lots of exposure and loose. 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ooops. I rode a route with Glen Tilt in it ages ago, there was singletrack.

I will fall on my sword later.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is singletrack and it is good – just two sections one of which you have to climb – one section is around 4 miles the other 3. Thats on the classic Beinn a Ghlo circuit.

Some of the doubletrack is rough and faint as well.

Its still one of my favorite rides

Johnboy373
    Free Member

TJ you got mail

allyharp

TJ is right, the singletrack down to the Falls of Tarf is great fun. It’s a long day out though.

IMG_4462 by allyharp, on Flickr

TheGingerOne

I did Glen Tilt in the summer and I have to say that if you want a long but easy ride in the real outdoors with fine views then it is fine, but if you are looking for an exciting ride then I think you will be disappointed.

The vast majority of the ride is just 4×4 track. The bit of singletrack was very short in comparison and pretty un-memorable. I can’t think of any bits which were either fast or technical.

Just my opinion, and others might enjoy it, but I certainly would not ride it again having done it. Maybe we were expecting something else.

coogan
    Free Member

Glen Tilt was good, did it years ago, but mostly double track, at least the route I did was. Gypsy Glen is larf, I do like it. Last descent is an all out blast. Plus you can still hook up with the end of GT or have a play on the wee DH runs in the woods near there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TheGingerOne. I tend to agree apart from I love the route – for the remoteness and scenery. some of the doubletrack descents are fairly exciting if taken fast enough. I had smoke pouring off the brakes on the tandem at points

If its lots of singletrack you are after then how about Ben Alder circuit or Devils staircase / blackwater dam /Ceirnan ( sp) path?

I haven’t done eother of those but they are on the list to be done

kennyp
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by riding Glen Tilt. You can either do the Beinn a’Ghlo circuit, or an out and back ride up to the watershed, or even beyond and down to Bynack Stable. There’s some of the best singletrack in the country there, particularly that section through the spectacular v-shaped gorger section.

TheGingerOne

We were doing a bit of a Scottish roadtrip, so I have little to compare in that part of the world, but compared to the Torridon route we did for example, there is just no comparison. Torridon was cracking scenery and remoteness as well as a cracking trail. Quite a lot further north depending on where you are starting from though (obviously).

For Glen Tilt, we were following the circular route in one of the guide books

kennyp
    Free Member

That’ll be the Beinn a’Ghlo circuit then. It’s a great route, but no, it doesn’t have too much in the way of technical stuff. For that you need to continue on in the direction of Braemar.

That said, I agree Torridon is still better than either Glen Tilt route. Or rather it’s different. Depends on what folk are looking for from a ride.

j_me
    Free Member

What kennyrp says……Glen Tilt proper has some great single track, but you have to ride it through from Linn of Dee which you can easily do in a day (but then you’ll have to go back again for the car)

chickenman

Have done the 3 routes suggested by TJ this summer: The Ben Alder anti clockwise cicuit from Dalwhinnie has much better riding than the BA’G curcuit with several miles of well drained surfaced stalkers paths (rather like the Torridon ones). The ride is partly spoiled by a ghastly push-up from Ben Alder cottage which could be avoided by starting at Ardverikie, Loch Pattack, Ben Alder cottage, return to Culra,over high pass and down Corrie Pitrie; doubletrack NE back to road.
    Devils Staircase, culvert to Blackwater, pipeline toward Loch Eilde then mental decent to join last third of Ciaran route is brilliant too but a bit boggy next to pipeline, then (in my case),wait for your wife to get carried off the hill by the mountain rescue (hill walking is well gnarly!!!)

Kit
    Free Member

Glen Tilt is prettier and longer, while Gypsy Glen is more fun to ride.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi, pics 21-41,Gypsy glen.
    http://tweedlove.com/gallery

RestlessNative
    Free Member

That was a beautiful evening up Gypsy Glen, many thanks to the lads who held the gates open for the descent 🙂

13thfloormonk

Any excuse to post my favourite photos (Glen Tilt at night)

Would second heading all the way to the Bynack Stable at least. The Linn of Dee is a nice spot for lunch but entails and extra few km on double track.

Go now and hear the deer roar (that was particularly scary at night)

kennyp
    Free Member

On rereading it, I meant Bynack Lodge. The stable’s miles away. You know what I meant anyway.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gypsy Glen or Glen Tilt?’ is closed to new replies.