Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gym gurus advice
  • Bernaard
    Free Member

Right, when in the gym I tend to throw weights around first before a 5k run.
    Should I do it the other way around, as a lad at work said that running after the weights defeats the object of the weights. Or is he a tard?

I ride a 5m route to the gym, so am warmed up

Albanach
    Free Member

I would say tard…

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after.

If maximum muscle growth following training is the goal (a la bodybuilding)then any aerobic will use calories that could build bulk. I know lads who wont walk far cos it will interfere with muscle growth – although I think thats going a bit far.

Powerlifters and Olympic weight lifters welcome anything that stabilises weight whilst they work on improving neural pathways to bigger lifts so they dont go outside their weight class.

If you want to get fitter then no worries I reckon.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Doesnt really matter, youd lift more if your less tired. Diet will be the thing that makes a difference.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

To maximise the results of the weights, lift first then cardio after.

Bernaard
    Free Member

cheers, I am throwing the weights around like I did a few years ago, then doing a run for fitness.
    I still get the pump and the next day ache from the weights, so the chap is a tard, and I told him so.

CaptJon
    Free Member

form is harder to keep after cardio.

smogmonster

I could be utterly wrong here, but im sure i read in Mens Health or one of them that doing cardio after weights will pretty much render the weight training pointless, as the growth phase is bypassed to replace the fat/glycogen stores used in the cardio session. Or something like that.
    This could utter bockolls of course.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Apparently “Cardio after weight training is more beneficial for increasing muscle size and strength, but cardio before weights can help improve cardiovascular endurance.”

The general concensus from a quick go-ogle of various articles seems inconclusive – some say cardio then weights, others vice versa, spouting different pros/cons in each situation.

To get the best from both, a lot of advice is to do weights and cardio on separate days (or separate sessions on any given day – i.e. cardio in the morning, weights in the evening).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gym gurus advice’ is closed to new replies.