Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gxp crank bolt stripped? Help!
  • jekkyl

Going for a big ride today so decided to take off clean and regrease the BB. Went to unscrew the bolt on the non drive side and it came a little loose and now just spins, won’t retighten either. Is it goosed? And if so how do I remove? Hack saw? Do you think it’d be okay for today’s ride? About 50 miles mix of road and off?
    Thanks

bones76
    Free Member

Sounds goosed to me, how long have you had it and have you re greased before with no problems?

Am assuming that the bolt will come out far enough to let you use a hack saw on it? so that may be your only solution and if that is so then it’s a new BB for you as i think you have guessed…

Crap and just when you wanted to get out and ride…

jekkyl

The cranks have stripped the thread, took it for a turn round the block and it came off. Then looking at the thread it’s flat and the bolt won’t adhere when I turn it.

bones76
    Free Member

Well goosed then and am guessing you have had them off before and stripped the threads when you have replaced the cranks last time…oh oh

The other day i was about to start my latest build and i am still a novice IMO when it comes to bike, parts etc
    but i know how threads work and as i went to attach the BB i noticed that after not even 1/4 turn and i had greased up the threads that without me adding more pressure than i wanted the BB felt IMO that it didn’t want to go any further..so i stopped and will be getting some advice form the LBS as last thing i want or need is to strip the threads on either the BB or mostly the Bike frame!!

Perhaps i am just being a little over cautious with still being a novice but better to be safe than sorry eh?!

Any advice from anyone one if they think i am being over cautious is welcome, it’s a Sram Gpx BB and was fitting to a On one frame and all threads on both frame and bottom Bracket(Brand new) look fine!

brokensoul
    Free Member

Bones, in your case, put the two mating parts together and turn them in the “unscrew” direction. When the male and female start threads pass each other, you’ll feel a click. That’s where you can start screwing them together with a bit more confidence.
    Hope that makes sense.

jekkyl

Distinct lack of triple gxp cranksets online. Do I have to use ‘gxp’ cranks do you reckon?

bones76
    Free Member

brokensoul that makes sense and will try that some time over the weekend and one other thing that i thought about the other day is do i need a special tool for fitting Sram GPX BB’s..you know to get that final finishing tightness? i know Shimano have there own tightening tool..

Sorry for jumping onto your thread jekkyl

Shred
    Free Member

It’s the same as the shimano tool.

My rule of thumb is that it all bolts should thread and be able to tighten by hand, and you should only need the tool to do final tightening.

bones76
    Free Member

Thats a good rule of thumb and something i would have done.

I have the Shimano tool so that saves some hassle…Thanks

frogstomp

The drive and non-drive sides of the spindle on a GXP crank are different diameters and so have different size bearings (hence GXP-specific bottom brackets). You should be able to switch to different cranks if you change the bottom bracket also.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gxp crank bolt stripped? Help!’ is closed to new replies.