Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Gxp bottom bracket
  • andybrad

Ok so my first gxp bb and its getting grumpy on the drive side. Loved and ok for the moment but obviously it needs replacement

So what with. I’m happy to go with cheaper and change it yearly. But I cant find a black sram one only alloy coloured.

The uberbike one looks ok but I don’t want one with spacers like the hope.

Any suggestions?

Saccades
    Free Member

Shimano chainset?

It’s what I did.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Raceface gxp (silver) ones are £24

Or get a decent shimano BB MT800 and a £1-2 gxp adaptor on eBay , assuming you have the smaller spindle

kiwijohn

WheelsMFG.
    End.
    Of.
    Your.
    Problems.

matt_outandabout

Change it to a Shimano, use 99p Shimano to SRAM BB adaptor from eBay.

paton
    Free Member

mashr

matt_outandabout

Subscriber

Change it to a Shimano, use 99p Shimano to SRAM BB adaptor from eBay.

I’m sure I saw this asked in another thread, but cant remember seeing an answer. Are there not issues with not being able to preload the bearings in the Shimano BB (when usign Sram cranks)?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mine seems ok so far set up like that.

andybrad

whats different about the praxis ones?

andybrad

i notice that the praxis ones have a wavey washer on them and so do the enduro ones.

the gxp one i have doesn’t. It also has a toothed washer to take up the space between the splines to prevent dirt ingress which i thought was interesting.

mashr

steve_b77

Mine seems ok so far set up like that.

If that’s a year+ I’m listening, if its a week… not so much 🙂

wzzzz
    Free Member

I’ve run GXP cranks for years

Either:

1) cheapest shimano plus adapter – make sure you put it in the right way

or

2) Hope plus their GXP adapter

In each case take a bit of time to measure and understand chainline and where the spacers go -and set it up correctly. IIRC the overall width of the cups in the frame is different gxp vs shimano if using a shimano bb +adapter think about this.

andybrad

yea i dont want to use adaptors

Tracey

Just been adding up, we are running 5 GXPs at the moment. Hope this helps

Uberbike fitted at beginning of 2017 and still going strong, has an adapter for GXP.
    SRAM GXP fitted at beginning of 2017 and had a season racing in all conditions, still going strong.
    Uberbike fitted at end 2017 and had two seasons racing in all conditions and still good.
    SRAM fitted beginning of 2019 and still good.
    SRAM fitted a couple of weeks ago when we swapped out a new DUB.
    We bought a Hope one as a spare at the beginning of 2017 after hearing all the horror stories about the SRAM ones, its still in the van boxed up just in case.

andybrad

so from that tracey its sounding like just buy a sram one?

mashr

Mine lasted fewer than half a dozen CX races before being shagged. It still turns fine/loosely but it’s properly rough when you turn the bearings by hand. (for the record, no pressure washers have been used on the bike at any point)

andybrad

does anyone have a source of the original sram ones in black as opposed to silver?

joebristol

I tend to just buy replacement stam gxp bb’s for my bike as they aren’t that expensive. Maybe I’m less hard on them / don’t do so much mileage as other folks but I don’t seem to replace them very often.

I think 1 lasted 18 months before it got gritty (still no play and was still quiet), and another lasted a couple of years before it started creaking and therefore got replaced. Been through some mud etc too – not fair weather bikes.

Seems most for sale at the moment are alloy coloured rather than black – but I can’t say that would concern me as it’s down behind the crank etc.

If it does bother you, there are these you could try?

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/praxis-works-sram-gxp-threaded-bottom-bracket-upgpr-68-0301/?istCompanyId=56f52ebf-49f3-492a-9cbb-cb6ab0fc1bf0&istFeedId=33b89177-5114-4491-9c2a-09a3a7cb23b2&istItemId=wqtllwwwq&istBid=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0sbfh6SA5wIVxbTtCh1ZYgDvEAQYCyABEgIWLPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looks like they have Enduro bearings and Praxis normally seem to get fairly positive comments online. £31.50 doesnt seem too bad

pdw
    Free Member

I’m sure I saw this asked in another thread, but cant remember seeing an answer. Are there not issues with not being able to preload the bearings in the Shimano BB (when usign Sram cranks)?

This thread?

GOOD sram gxp bbs?

The replies on there suggest that they’re not pure angular contact bearings, and work OK as radial bearings.

Anyone know if the bearings on that Praxis BB are a standard size?

Phil_H

The one on my new bike seized solid after 7 months.
    Replaced with another one but I took it apart and packed it with more grease before fitting. I’ll need to check it in a couple of months & maybe re-grease.

My other recent bike purchase came with a race face bottom bracket fitted:-(

daern
    Free Member

Praxis.

My son was chomping through two GXP BBs per year and I can only conclude that they were made from ripe Stilton rather than actual, steel bearings. Since I swapped his, they’ve been going strong for 12 months and still feel like new. Have also done another bike with GX cranks and similarly, the Praxis replacement has yet to wear out.

Regarding swapping, my son runs 155mm NX cranks and there are precious few alternatives to these that are either not expensive, or not crap (square taper? In 2020?) GXP is just an evil one has to accept in order to run these niche cranks.

submarined
    Free Member

As I’ve said on numerous other threads, my uberbike GXP had some really bad tolerances, so put recess preload on the bearings and lasted minimal time.
    Replaced with SRAM and it’s had at least weekly rides whatever the weather in some truly atrocious conditions, no issues. Halfway through it’s second winter now. Think it was about 15 quid.

I’m sorry for your imminent loss

Phil_H

I’m sorry for your imminent loss

I reckon the Puffer this weekend might kill it🤣🤣

andybrad

brave even taking that to the puffer tbh

but anyhow i wont wear it out. ill kill it with muc off and grit.

any thoughts ont hat tandem one. Yes im a tart, yes i want black.

although tbh a bit of grease and its smooth as a babys bottom now.

joebristol

Reading about the tandem one it’s designed for the drive side to be on the left hand side of the bike rather than the right. What that means in practice I don’t know.

andybrad

ah right so the bearings will be the wrong way round. Bugger.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

That video is interesting, if a bit ranty, ~20% drag penalty for gpx….
    Also, I recently had a bottom bracket shell de-bond from my carbon frame, I am running GXP cranks, and this clearly leaves the drive side free to float, and presumably bad tolerances would expose that shell to greater shear forces, perhaps exacerbated a problem rather than being a cause however.

Out of interest i took the crank out, and ‘fitted’ the gxp shell and nds crank, there was quite a bit of play, despite the bearings not feeling too bad.
    Co-incidentally, I have had a hope BB in the draw for a while that i picked up cheap and never used as a spare, so I picked up the hope adaptors, and that fitted on the same crank seems to have no play…

definitely going to go with the hope one for peace of mind when i re-assemble

damitamit
    Free Member

My Sram one on my gravel bike is shagged after a couple months.

Extra 15% off the Praxi at Westbrook. https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/praxis-works-m24-threaded-bottom-bracket-bsa-68mm-73mm-p341933

Just ordered one.

andybrad

that praxis is good but the sram ones have a toothed washer for the splines that the praxis doesnt seem to have. That looks like it will help imo

weeksy

Reading this thread i think i’m going to remove the cranks and fit my Raceface with my Hope in the G-160… Just need to work out which way to undo the bolt on my SRAM Descendant GXP, XSYNC

andybrad

standard thread. righty tighty lefty loosy

mashr

andybrad

Subscriber

standard thread. righty tighty lefty loosy

with a sizeable breaker bar

daern
    Free Member

that praxis is good but the sram ones have a toothed washer for the splines that the praxis doesnt seem to have. That looks like it will help imo

It doesn’t. Trust me.

andybrad

with a sizeable breaker bar

took mine off by hand…. although ive had a lot of people say otherwise

mashr

Standing on the allen key wouldnt budge mine – had to raise the tooling level to “ropey”

weeksy

Wasn’t easy, but was far from impossible… Decent bit of pressure and off it came.

bluebus
    Free Member

I have found the Praxis to be a very good alternative. So far 9 or so months in and feeling good. The GXP ones only last 6 months at most.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Gxp bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.