Replacing bearings in original SRAM GXP bottom bracket

Home Forum Bike Forum Replacing bearings in original SRAM GXP bottom bracket

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Replacing bearings in original SRAM GXP bottom bracket
  • Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Can you not get new BB for @£15? Not much more than a pair of bearings.

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

Are you sure it’s the BB?
    Mine was creaking between the crank & chainring.

swoosh

I’ve checked the chainring bolts, the main pivot point bolts, seat post being dry, even the stem cap bolts. Pretty certain it’s the BB.

New BB is £20 or thereabouts, I’d like to know I can change the bearings so I can save money in the future too.

daver27

Is it pressfit or BSA? if pressfit then no, you’ll knock the cups out and damage them, if its BSA then you probably can, but its hardly worth it as the bearings cost more than the BB.
    SRAM gxp bbs are terrible in my experience, always fail on one side quickly.
    You could replace with a Hope with a GXP conversion kit which will allow you to change bearings easily in the future.
    Alternatively, take the new BB apart and fully clean out the stock grease and re-fill it with decent waterproof grease from new. then maintain it every few months.

smiffy

I’d had two different SRAM GXP chainsets and both creaked like mad. People, including bike mechanics told me it was the BBs, but it was always the chainsets. just like kiwijohn says above.

swoosh

Is this possible?

I’ve repacked the BB with grease but it is still creaking so I’ve concluded that the bearings are shot and need replacing. A little bit of digging on the internet has told me that the size I need is MR2437-2RS for my threaded external bearing BB, IE not press fit or bb30. But what I can’t find out is if this is only for ones like the Hope or Uberbike ones which are designed to be replacable. Any one know?

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

If it has a removable spider, remove it & give it a clean & grease.
    I found my X9 crank with AB chainring was the culprit after changing BB’s & even the frame.

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

To the OP. It is possible to replace the bearings in an original SRAM GXP BB as I have done it in the past. However, the bearings cost more than a new cheap BB and they didn’t last any longer either.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

IIRC the bearings in GXP are different internal dimensions too.

Ive just bought a new one from Halfords for £20. Just easier.

mattsccm

Spent much time trying to do the same. One side uses an normal industrial standard bearing. The other is weird and all the bearing factors I tried said no.

swoosh

Seems like it’s not worth the effort I’m putting in. Thanks for the advice guys

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

For info. Just checked my order history. These were the bearings I ordered from https://simplybearings.co.uk/

This was back in 2014 and does not include vat

1 x ENDURO MR22372RS-E Sealed Flanged Extended Inner Deep Groove Bearing 22x37x7/10mm – £9.54
    1 x ENDURO 68052RS Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 25x37x7mm – £7.21

HTHs

orangeboy

Yep two different bearing in a gxp bb which is why you need a converter if you fit a hope bb

smiffy

If it has a removable spider, remove it & give it a clean & grease.

This. Fiddly little Torx fittings. Though I managed to do this job half way up an Alp.

scuttler

Hope BB plus convertor. Thrust unto the wastelands the paltry GXP BB.

paton

You can put new bearings in the old cups (24mm x 37mm x 7mm)
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/truvativ_gxp_by_rwc_f.pdf

You dont need the fancy tools, or even take the old cups out of the frame, just knock the old bearings out of the cups.The reducer/ adapter shim that you already have in the GXP BB can be reused, have a look at steps 8,9,10 etc .

New bearings may need glue to hold them in the cups. Truvativ / GXP BB cups are not the best.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id193.html

Enduro bearings are about average quality, but the seals in the kit are possibly a help.

Anything is better than GXP truvativ bearings.

paton

Or
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NufgDt2zwXk[/video]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.