Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Guy Martin Helmet cam Scary fast
  • trout
    Free Member

Just seen this on facebook
    Guy martins helmet cam on the TT bike left me dizzy and awestruck

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU6LStlITOs[/video]

philb88
    Free Member

Insane!

Commit to a corner and hope you remembered the right one!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I don’t know how *anyone* comes back alive. Looking forward to watching it on telly tonight though.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I don’t know about stopping at the pits for fuel and a tyre change, I’d be changing my leathers too! 😯

eskay

I guess it is different in real life but the dark to light transitions when the road is in the shade make it virtually impossible to tell where the edge of the road is!

Hats off to that!

Scary enough watching it let alone riding it.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I regularly do that section on my bike !!! However, my bike has pedals, so is considerably slower. I can just about get the front wheel airborne on Ballaugh bridge, if I pull on the bars enough.

Still no racing today yet, as typical manx weather, I am basking in sunshine in the north, and the rest is shrouded in mist and fog

mildred

Bruce Anstey’s fastest ever lap was on telly late last night with helmet cam & normal footage – nuts. He was balked a few times and over shot one corner, so had it been a ‘perfect’ lap, it would conceivably been a lot quicker. 132.298 mph average..!!!

slowoldman

That was indeed a mad lap. I love the sidecars though.

DezB
    Free Member

Flippin ell

bikebouy
    Free Member

Flippin Ell x 100

I couldn’t quite focus on that myself and I’m sitting comfortably in my orrifice chair..

Flippin Ekker’slike. 😯

I’ve so much respect for all that take part..

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

it’s the noise of the engine when the rear wheel’s fighting and loosing grip that scares me. I get my traction control light flash up on my bike but only in the wet and at 30mph and I’m brickin’ it. My brain can’t comprehend that video.

Keva
    Free Member

😯

sangobegger
    Free Member

I remember the 80cc riders in the grand prix back in day say that you could get more revs out of the engine if you tilted the bike to one side. As this alters the gearing you give the bike a bit of an easier time.
    I’m wondering if some of the rev changes you hear in this vid are due to lean angle, more than backing off for a corner.
    Whatever, the man is (they all are ) a legend for hacking through the scenery at that speed- nuts!

Northwind

sangobegger – Member

I’m wondering if some of the rev changes you hear in this vid are due to lean angle, more than backing off for a corner.

Definitely does happen over the mountain still, I remember John McGuiness talking about it. Mad.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Sango, you can tell which is gear changes and which is the rolling radius decrease by the way in which the revs rise.

When tipping into a corner with constant throttle what actually happens is you decelerate. So a small throttle input is required to maintain speed due to higher wheel speed as it goes over.

Sudden Increase = Gear change

Smooth rev rise = Same gear

Trimix
    Free Member

Even slowed down, thats way too fast for me.

martinhutch

How much of Guy’s action during that lap is the result of conscious thought, and how much is pure programmed muscle memory of the course? Looking at that, I can’t see how his conscious brain would be able to influence it much.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If they weren’t concious of at least something, then the riders would be thrown into a brick wall as soon as something vaguely out of the ordinary happened.

They do think, just a lot quicker than you or I. They also do a lot of unconcious feeling, which they will somethimes think about if it doesn’t feel right. How the bike feels, the levels of grip etc….all thought about at an unconcious level. They aren’t running on pure muscle memory like a golfer does during his swing.

Also, the conscious brain influences a lot less than you probably think.

seadog101

Not human. That’s the only way these beings can do this.

martinhutch

If they weren’t concious of at least something, then the riders would be thrown into a brick wall as soon as something vaguely out of the ordinary happened.

I guess I meant ‘normal’ circumstances, in terms of line choice for every sequence of corners, body position, throttle, brake etc. Obviously there’s a certain degree of conscious ‘overseeing’ of progress, but I can’t imagine all that much real-time decision making.

I suppose if I’m driving along a winding road, I’m not always consciously choosing to keep in my carriageway and keeping appropriate speed, or even the appropriate gear, it’s mostly automatic until something unusual happens.

piemonster

Good lord

mildred

I remember the 80cc riders in the grand prix back in day say that you could get more revs out of the engine if you tilted the bike to one side. As this alters the gearing you give the bike a bit of an easier time.
    Whatever, the man is (they all are ) a legend for hacking through the scenery at that speed- nuts!

I recall an interview (possibly MCN) with Randy Mamola where he spoke of a critical corner in one if the GP’s – he was talking about how tyre profile combined with lean angle combined and affected gear ratio, and how he could 500 rpm higher revs in a corner exit, meaning he gained about 5 mph on the following straight… It was about 1987 ish & I realised I will never be a GP rider.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Those 500 revs are much more important on the 500cc two stroke bikes that had powerbands only 3000 revs wide.

RustySpanner

I get scared playing the TT video game.

😀

seavers
    Free Member

Now that made my bum twitch.

firestarter
    Free Member

I cant ride that fast but I do find that the more fast riding you do the faster you get. Like your brain gets used to working faster. And it gets easier the more you do it. But those fellas are mad 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

The force is strong with those lads.

pj11
    Free Member

Anybody else find themselves leaning let and right through the corners ?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

He didn’t catch the guy in front and it is always easier following another rider down a track

blah – I would have been faster when i was in my prime*

*not even pretending to be serious

CountZero

Of course, when it goes tits-up, it goes really tits-up!

The dark object in the bottom right is Guy’s foot, the other dark object in the upper left, with flame behind, is the bike’s fuel tank!
    He got a bit singed… 😯
    Another one he walked away from…

S’all right, it’ll polish out…

CountZero

…And that video has a very high sphincter-factor, I’m still trying to get my cheeks to unclench.

choppersquad
    Free Member

How on earth did he ever get back on a bike after those crashes?
    Balls of steel and a great down to earth bloke.
    Legend.

iain1775
    Free Member

They are all nuts
    My 4 year old daughter has tipped me off that for Father’s Day I might be getting a signed copy of Guys book 🙂
    Not one single hint was dropped either so I am impressed the wife even knew about it let alone getting a signed copy

CountZero

I’m not much for autobiographies, but I was looking at Guy’s in Waterstone’s on Saturday, and I’m going to have to buy a copy.

weeksy

TBH watching it on video is completely different to the real world. It’s not a true representation of events at all.

I used to race with a bloke called Dan Hegarty. He was the factory Norton rider last year at the TT (along with another guy), this year he’s back again and lapping in 122mph+.
    Now, Dan was cleaning up winning races at Derby Phoenix, but wasn’t ridiculously quick by any means. I sponsored him a bit when he moved up to British Superstock (after racing in the R6 cup) and he was lucky to get inside the top 10.

Where I’m going with this is, guy Martin is extremely quick yes.. but the video isn’t showing the speed well, it’s showing almost a video game representation of it.

I have masses of respect for them all as this was my dream back when starting club racing, which I never accomplished due to not being good enough.

catnash
    Free Member

They’ve got bigger balls than my brain, tell me though, sidecar passengers, saw them on tv on a night shift. Theyre all sectioned shirley?

Trimix
    Free Member

Im also amazed that they dont really get paid for it. Compare what they do with say an F1 driver.

weeksy

Trimix – Member

Im also amazed that they dont really get paid for it. Compare what they do with say an F1 driver.

Indeed.. considering the risks, you’d think they’d earn more. guy Martin does OK, but that’s more his personal sponsorship than actual salary. There’s a decent prize money for the TT but I did have to laugh watching something the other day about the Greyhound Derby, the first prize was £100,000 for the dog/owner… that’s WAY more than the TT winners get… (I think it was £25,000 last time I checked)

Pigface
    Free Member

RIP Bob Price 🙁

hooli

I think my brain is wired differently to theirs, not just the speed but the speed going past a dry stone wall with a normal 4″ kerb 😯 I guess that is why most years somebody dies at the TT and it is very rare for somebody to die in short circuit racing 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin Helmet cam Scary fast’ is closed to new replies.