• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Guide books question
  • vinnyeh

Anybody own copies of 'Mountain Biking Britain' (footprint guide) and/or 'Mountain Biking Trail Centres'(vertebrate)? Are they worthwhile purchases?
    I'm thinking of buying one or both just to keep in the car for those days when I'm somewhere unfamiliar with a few spare hours and want some quick satisfaction.

nbt

I've got the VG guide and based on the summaries / reviews of the centres I've visited, I'd say it's a pretty accurate guide. TBH I've a few of their books, all worth having

trailmonkey

i've got the vg lakes book and found it really helpful as i don't know the area at all and really enjoyed all of the rides that i did, although, one of the grizedale routes had a couple of pretty poor directional pointers and we got lost twice. definately worth the £15.
    on the other hand, i've got the vg QED book and knowing the SW peninsula pretty well, i'd say the routes in the book are largely average and most locals could compile a much better version.
    i'd be happy to take a gamble with vg guides though.

vinnyeh

Ta. I've got a few vertebrate guides, and like most people rate them quite highly for unfamiliar areas. I wasn't too sure what if anything the trail centres book might be good for, apart from letting me know where the closest hassle free riding was.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Does anyone rate the southern Peak District one – I had a quick flick through, and the one ride I'd done it seemed okay.

I particularly liked the bit where it said 'the bridleway abruptly ends, get off and walk down a short footpath section' in describing a fantastic descent that they clearly do ride based on the overall route description (the route around Cromford).

Joe

nbt

I've recently done a couple of routes from that book, the short footpath section is eminently rideable and is an old cart track going up to the old quarries, it's another one of those things where it's been wrongly classified but they have to stay legal. The ride as a whole is ok, we added on another climb and descent on the other side of the A6 that was far better than anything in the route guide though

The Holymoorside loop in the book on the other hand is a belter, worth trying. The "south buxton" loop is a good one, lots of smooth miles in the first hakf and insanely technical in the second, plus there's a fabuluous pub in the village.

Oh and the models in that particular book are rather good looking 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Guide books question’ is closed to new replies.