Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • ‘fixing’ a hardtail with a sus-post?
  • pjbarton
    Free Member

i’ve just got a nice hardtail (alloy) after years on a full-sus. I keep getting kicked up the arse cus i’m riding it like my ‘dale rush (it really wants you to stay sat!).

Anyway, should I consider a suspension post – or learn to ride a hardtail properly. Be less lazy, stand up more etc??

brant
    Free Member

Be less lazy, stand up more etc??

Yes. Don’t be afraid of dropping the saddle and just ride it properly, rather than sitting like a sack of spuds.

DezB
    Free Member

Agree with Brant. Different technique required on hardtail, which is fun when you’ve got it.
    Never used a sus post, but can imagine they still bounce you about, sitting on the rough stuff, just not as painfully!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

suspension posts suck and aren’t the best for your knees.

Riding a hardtail the right way is all part of the fun. If you wanna keep it a bit more comfy, would a carbon post be better? On-one are selling FSA carbon posts for £20 at the minute. Got one for my wife and it’s a lovely looking bit of kit.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have used a ~Cane Creek Thudbuster a lot, as I had a lot of problems with my back at one stage.

It absolutely isn’t a substitute for riding properly when at speed in rough ground. What is does marvellously well is reducing the jarring on your back of steady riding over rough tracks for hours. I wouldn’t personally be without the thudbuster for a SDW effort or a 24 hour solo, but it doesn’t help over a 5-minute singletrack blast, when you ought to be absorbing the impacts with your legs and arms not relying on the post. 🙂

pjbarton
    Free Member

yes.

the obvious stuff is easy to stand up for. Still get the odd surprise tho.
    Brant, it’s my sack of spuds I’m worried about!

Next question, as I have a boardman pro for £750!.. I basically have a pile of great components and a frame that is, arguably, free. maybe I need a steel (or ti) frame?? big difference surely?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Carbon posts, steel/ti frames make things a very slightly more comfortable, but you still can’t ride it like a full sus. Its not the huge difference internet forums would have you believe. If you’re riding a hardtail ‘wrong’ because you’re used to a full sus, it won’t help. just ride it loads!

pjbarton
    Free Member

well, i’m not a muppet riding around with my ass stuck to the saddle – although I’m certainly used to a full suss. just wondered how effective the posts were baring in mind their weight penalty…

Olly
    Free Member

it’s my sack of spuds I’m worried about!

if your having problems specifically of a “man” variety, you may be wanting to look at your saddle angle.
    tilt it forward so the majority of your weight is on your sit bones, at the back of the saddle,
    raked too far back = numb nuts (and long term issues also i believe)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Downhill is not a problem because you’re off the saddle (ideally it’s dropped). Uphill is usually slow enough to sit on the smoother bits and rise on the step-ups.

I find the real problem is in traversing/gentle climbs where you sit to maintain efficiency under power but it’s fast/rough enough to batter you.

Try lowering your seatpost a tiny bit. It will encourage you to stand slightly off the saddle under power. It will also make you change up the gears and run at lower cadence to get the pedal pressure you need to stay light on the saddle.

Works for me

pjbarton
    Free Member

cheers buzzL – it’s definitely those ‘inbetweeny’ bits that’s the issue isn’t it. I’ll try lowering the saddle a touch – it is VERY high at the mo

olly, i do have biffin’s bridge / numb cock issues – although worse on the fullsuss where i can forget to stand up for long periods (looking for a decent groove saddle)

DezB
    Free Member

Those that have tried out my Handjob (oo-er missus) have been surprised how low my saddle is. Now I know why.. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

cane creek works well for me, no substitute for full suss but worth it

suspension posts suck and aren’t the best for your knees.

ha ha

BigJohn

I only ride a hardtail and when I use a stiff seatpost and pump my back tyre up too hard I notice it.

I’ve got a tragically unfashionable Kalloy layback seatpost and a nice 2.35 Big Earl tubeless tyre on the back and that makes all the difference.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘‘fixing’ a hardtail with a sus-post?’ is closed to new replies.