Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Grrrr! Strava!
  • Taff
    Free Member

Right, enough is enough I’m getting a Garmin.

jmason
    Free Member

I’ve found with strava on the phone you have to follow the exact line. There’s a few on the roads near me that get missed if you use the pavement based cycle path directly next to it

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering why the last few times I’ve been out it’s not picked up a segment. Looking closely at the route it shows that the line isn’t even following the road I was cycling on… it was about 30metres out!

jameso

…. and all the while that the riders were **** about with various phones and gips gadgets to check their segment times, the birds were singing and the sun was setting. There was a lovely new trail just off the normal route too, fairly well hidden and only noticed by riders who were looking around now and then. Ah well.. one of them got a KOM anyway so he was happy. The slower line was more fun and had better flow, but who cares about flow when you can win a KOM? Just ignore the fact that it’s all innaccurate enough as to be fairly pointless, it’s a game and having your name on top is what counts – just like the arcade games when they were younger, but none of them were any good at Double Dragon.

The end.
    )

njee20
    Free Member

Strava going through them and weeding out duplicates although I imagine that would be one hell of a time consuming job.

Does it not hide them automatically?

I know there are 5 near identical segments on the climb up Holmbury Hill, that differ by a few feet, even have the same name, but they’re all hidden bar one.

I’m KOM on all of them 🙂

jonundercover
    Free Member

I keep having times wiped from the segments all together and also I hardly ever pick up the segment for the full Twrch trail at Cwmcarn despite being very careful to stick to the trail. INFURIATING! I think I’ll cancel my premium membership.

yankee
    Free Member

My brother-in-law was having similar problems with his HTC phone. He discovered that most of the problems were due to the case he kept it in. If he removed the case, it tracked nearly perfectly, using either Endomondo or Strava. He also has used a GPS-booster application that seemed to help.

However, he’s still since bought a Bryton unit.

hugor
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about not being able to pick up the Cwm Carn full red loop. It’s pretty depressing when you do. 😳

jonundercover
    Free Member

Well yes its one of the hardest 13k trails you can do I reckon! The climb never gets any easier and I do it quite often too!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought a cheep GPS tracker, so far it’s proved completely accurate, even down to weaving in and out of parked cars!

goes for about £15-£30, mine just lives zip tied to my camelbak or in my jersey pocket which probably helps give it a far less obstructed view of the sky took.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=navin+minihomer&_sacat=0&_odkw=navin+mini+himer&_osacat=0

gb1m
    Free Member

For the first time since april I didn’t turn it on today on my ride, and it was quite refreshing not to be risking life and limb or busting a gut chasing times.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really, It’s not a race you know, you can log a slow strava and people don’t laugh at you.

gb1m
    Free Member

But it is isn’t it otherwise what’s the point , but I’d admit I’m to competitive and just feel the urge to go out and push, even after my own kom’s. Silly I know but thats just the way I am .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But it is isn’t it otherwise what’s the point

I like the competitiveness but I also use it as a training/ride log. Great when someone is showing you some new trails etc. Also done some of the miles/meters challenges which involve getting stuff done not racing. It’s got a few layers really.

muggomagic

I had the same problem with the iPhone strava app. I just started using motion x app then uploading the GPX file when I got in. Never missed a segment after that. I now have a Garmin though as having the info on your bars when chasing down a PR is great motivation to keep going.

sparkyrhino

Just got a PR this mornin now 65th out of 69 .i am a TIGER RAAAAAAHHH

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is there a way on the Strava website to see all your results? Not just KOMs, but all of them? Or all the segments you’ve done? Seems a fairly obvious thing to be able to do but I can’t find it.

monsta
    Free Member

Recently, having started using a Garmin Oregon 450 to record longer rides, I noticed Strava would display the Garmin-recorded GPX route as straight lines, and thought it was a problem with the Garmin device. But in the links below, the ridewithgps map displays the Garmin GPX route as I’d expect to see it, where-as Strava doesn’t. Has anyone had this issue as well, and configured to interpret the gpx file properly?

Strava:

Ridewithgps:

cyclistm
    Free Member

Monsta – looks like ride with gps is correcting the route

zangolin
    Free Member

Possibly the way Strava algorithms interprets gpx files. I reckon they average out the number of data locations to account for the variety of different devices people use to record their routes? A gpx file from a smartphone has to be less accurate than one from a dedicated GPS device. I know my phone samples something like every 3 seconds whereas my Garmin 510 samples every second. The Garmin so far has always managed to pick up all segments I might ride – even under heavy tree cover. The phone on the other hand does miss a fair few segments. It’s quite interesting to have both GPS and phone recording at the same time. While the overall routes are pretty similar – segment times can vary wildly, especially on short fast down hill segments.
    Example fromthe other week for a DH segment – 1 min 58 sec on the phone – on the GPS 2 min 10 sec – on the same ride, on the same bike at the same time.

oldgit
    Free Member

Strava is for wet lads, kitchen clock if you want to be macho fantastico.

sgn23
    Free Member

I found this blog useful in explaining why my (Garmin) times were slower than my mates (iphone) times, it includes some useful responses from the Strava team.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I missed a segment yesterday- not because my device was inaccurate but because it was set up by someone with a crap device – surely it was waterproof as he was in the river 🙂

The iphone 4 ime has been pretty accurate picked up stuff my old garmin 205 missed.

My edge 500 has been excellent though.

mandog

Are the GPS watches any good for this kind of thing?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Forerunner 305 310 xt and 910 xt are all excellent.

I run so little i just bought a 910 xt watch strap and put my edge 500 on my wrist

yunki
    Free Member

after I’d hurt myself staying in the big ring all the way up.

wibble

scu98rkr
    Free Member

surely this all averages out. Sometimes a less accurate GPS will actually give u a faster time some times it wont.

Presumably the speed over the 4 seconds is averaged so it really depends on the shape of the trail.

mduncombe
    Free Member

Just to set the facts straight being an RF engineer with a background in GPS 🙂

The GPS in a phone is no different to the GPS in a Garmin, the chip provider might be different but its still a GPS chip.

The GPS in a phone can be every bit as good as a dedicated GPS, indeed I use an IP rated Android phone as my main navigation tool hill walking.

But a smartphone has lots of things squeezed into it and may use a smaller chip/patch antenna which may also be surrounded by other RF devices. This can mean a phone GPS can be a little fussier about how it is positioned and carried to get a good fix. So a phone stuffed into a seat pack on a bike ridden in a wooded area is going to suffer more than a dedicated GPS in the same situation. But all GPS prefer a good view of the sky such as mounted on handlebars or in at the top of a rucksack.

The GPS in a phone does have one advantage over dedicated GPS devices though, an internet connection which allows it to download data over the internet that will improve its speed in getting a fix, this is called assisted GPS (A-GPS).

Dedicated GPS devices usually have a larger patch antenna, rather than a small chip antenna, some even have a stubby helix coil antenna such as the Garmin GPSMAP6x series. The bigger the antenna the better.

Accuracy can be improved with the use of spaced based augmentation systems (SBAS) that us ground stations at known locations to send correction information to GPS receivers via geo stationary satellites. this can give >5 meter accuracy. Most modern GPS chips support this, including those in phones.

GPS accuracy is largely down to geometry, having a good spread of satellites visible around the horizon provides better geometry than only having satellites directly above you.

Some device can have better accuracy by supporting both the US GPS and Russian Glonass systems, this works because with more satellites in the sky you have a better chance of getting good geometry.

So GPS performance in phone is largely down to the design of the phone itself. how large the antenna is, where the antenna is located in the phone and how much importance the designer put into GPS performance compared to wifi/bluetooth and phone radio performance.

andytherocketeer

Sometimes a less accurate GPS will actually give u a faster time some times it wont.

GPS doesn’t give speed (as such – actually potentially it might). Software gives speed.

I recorded a ride yesterday on 1 phone, using both Endomomdo and Runkeeper. The average speeds differed, the total distance differed, and the maximum recorded speed differed a lot. And Runkeeper took longer to agree that GPS lock was good. So 2 apps have used the same available GPS messages from the same GPS chipset in different ways.

stufive
    Free Member

+1 For Garmin i use 800 and a 500 no probs, not as many KOMs as id like though maybe there a bit to accurate! 😛

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Is there a way on the Strava website to see all your results? Not just KOMs, but all of them? Or all the segments you’ve done? Seems a fairly obvious thing to be able to do but I can’t find it.<

Not on the free version afaik.

But dead easy to import your Strava times into this software and see them:

http://veloviewer.com/

I’ve found the Garmin 500 I’m using way more reliable than the HTC phone I used before but the Garmin / Strava combo is far from perfect. It’s good for training / monitoring your own performance but the KOM thing shouldn’t be taken too seriously for off road use. For example a few of the trails I use regularly have very close road sections so the leaderboard is chocked with super fast times set by Roadies who have never ever been down the Singletrack. Similarly loads of guys half my age riding CX bikes and I’m on 33lb full suss. Still, it’s good fun as long as you keep it all in perspective.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Grrrr! Strava!’ is closed to new replies.